Athlon Iowa State preview

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I’d disagree with that. I feel like adding an outside threat to stretch the field occasionally would open up things for Breece—and everyone else—even more.

There were times that teams just loaded the box against him. And it worked.

Sometimes it only worked for “most” of the game—but that’s still too much.
He’s not a Butler-type receiver, but if we landed Quaron Adams, or anyone as dynamic as him in the slot, we’d be able to stretch the game vertically and horizontally nearly at will. We’re missing elite speed/quickness in the receiver corps.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I hope he can take the next couple steps over the off season. He does run hard, but it seems like he just plows into whatever hole is called for the play, whereas Hall can identify when the play is stuffed and bounced to the outside. Great blocker, good at catching the ball, so lots to like about him. He just needs to figure a couple things out to be a little effective.
I'm strictly going off memory here. It seems like when he did have opportunities to run the ball it was in 3rd and short situations. My guess is he was just trying to pick up the 2 yards needed to get a 1st down. I'd like to see how he runs consistently on like 2nd and 7.

Reactions: VeloClone

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
A lot stats about Purdy's YPC, but if we're going to be elite, it's the INTs that need to be cut in half.
Agreed. I got board a few weeks when I got the VID and was quarantined. I rewatched all the games I could on YouTube. Just my opinion here but a few of Brock's picks pics were not his fault. Bad routes and mistakes by the recievers/tight ends. Also, unfortunately for my stomach I saw the TCU pick again. Good God was that bad!

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
He’s not a Butler-type receiver, but if we landed Quaron Adams, or anyone as dynamic as him in the slot, we’d be able to stretch the game vertically and horizontally nearly at will. We’re missing elite speed/quickness in the receiver corps.
Don't forget about Jaylin Noel! I think he's a diamond in the rough. I believe he'll play some this year and have around 12 catches for 170yards or around that. If he can develop his ceiling is really high.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
IMO, If the light comes on for Joe Scates, we’re good. He size, speed, athleticism and run after catch has slways reminded me of CeeDee Lamb.

If Dave Andrews puts 10-15 pounds of muscle on Darien Porter, we’re good. CMC said last year he was going to be a great Cyclone WR, and with a 10.68 100m (running the 100m part time), he’s probably the fastest wideout currently on the team.

Oh, and while I like and hope for Quaron Adams to be a Cyclone, I’ll add that this guy recently ran a 10.65 100m. :cool:

(Dekkers has the arm to really stretch the field)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Don't forget about Jaylin Noel! I think he's a diamond in the rough. I believe he'll play some this year and have around 12 catches for 170yards or around that. If he can develop his ceiling is really high.
Looking at his junior film, Jaylin really reminded me of Deshauntae Jones when he committed.

Then I saw his senior film. :oops:

Wow.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
IMO, If the light comes on for Joe Scates, we’re good. He size, speed, athleticism and run after catch has slways reminded me of CeeDee Lamb.

If Dave Andrews puts 10-15 pounds of muscle on Darien Porter, we’re good. CMC said last year he was going to be a great Cyclone WR, and with a 10.68 100m (running the 100m part time), he’s probably the fastest wideout currently on the team.

Oh, and while I like and hope for Quaron Adams to be a Cyclone, I’ll add that this guy recently ran a 10.65 100m. :cool:

(Dekkers has the arm to really stretch the field)
I'm glad you brought up Porter. As far as overall upside he's right there with Scates. Porter played a ton on special teams last year and I have wandered why he didn't more of opportunities at receiver. Imo it because he's just not there physically yet, which you brought up. I tend to believe maybe he's not the greatest at blocking yet. As we know if u wanna see the field at reciever for CMC u have to be able to block at a high level.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Looking at his junior film, Jaylin really reminded me of Deshauntae Jones when he committed.

Then I saw his senior film. :oops:

Wow.
Great comparison. I think Noel is probably quicker then Jones. Jones was such a great route runner tho.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Darian Porter reminds me of Denario Alexander from Missouri.
Tall and lanky under recruited but with great speed. With the right system could be an elite player

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Darian Porter reminds me of Denario Alexander from Missouri.
Tall and lanky under recruited but with great speed. With the right system could be an elite player
I write all of their magazine stuff and contribute to the Big 12 rankings, national rankings, all Americans, etc. this was not me
Love to hear your thoughts on the overview of this article.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I am blown away by the amount of work they put into that magazine. It is quite the process. I should have the editor on a podcast to discuss sometime.
That would be awesome. I love when you have national media on the podcast. I like to get the take of different people on the state of the program. Exciting time to be a Iowa State fan.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I don't think anyone is underestimating him. There just hasn't been a large sample size on him yet. The news about his potential and progress is fantastic, though.

We've been spoiled with some really good RBs lately. I love it.

Agreed. But lets assume Montgomery and Hall are at the same level.

DM was fighting to get back to the line of scrimmage

Hall is fighting to turn 3 yards into 6

There is definitely a trend and it is good.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Would they ever place Hall and Brock in the same backfield for a series?
It would be awesome if they did. I doubt it tho... mainly bc of the tight ends. Brock is a great player but I don't know if it would better serve the purpose taking a tight end off the field. Just my opinion. Would love to see some wild cat with Breece taking the snap and Brock at RB. Also, kinda curious if the staff uses Dekkers in 4th and short or on the goalline.

Reactions: cyputz

IowaStateFam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2017
This may be wishful thinking on my part. Just think of this scenario...if Jirehl has good season backing up Breece and then has a monster year after Breece goes pro. We could have 3 RB's in the NFL at the same time. That would be huge for recruiting. Again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Kene is going to be in the league next year. His pro day is gonna get him picked IMO. He's a one cut zone scheme runner that is valued. Plus his ST versatility, both as a returner and gunner is a skill set that will make him very valuable. Think Codarel Patterson.