Athlon Iowa State preview

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
The most exciting thing about the O-line is we basically played all of last year without our best player. Hopefully Downing is healthy this year.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This may be wishful thinking on my part. Just think of this scenario...if Jirehl has good season backing up Breece and then has a monster year after Breece goes pro. We could have 3 RB's in the NFL at the same time. That would be huge for recruiting. Again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
Kene ran an unofficial 4.29 40 at his pro day. Could be four.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
A lot stats about Purdy's YPC, but if we're going to be elite, it's the INTs that need to be cut in half.
I read an analysis on the NFL saying that there is an optimal INT rate. Basically if you never take chances your INT rate will be great but you will lose games being too cautious. I don't mind the "gambling" INTs where he's throwing a ball up for a tall WR/TE, or into a tight window where it might get tipped. Its the really dumb ones like TCU that bother me. Eliminate those and I'll be happy.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
No mention of Isheem Young in the defensive backfield? I'm not worried about that position.

I can't say I'm "worried" about any position this year. I'm "interested" to see how our lines look but confident we'll be okay. Heacock has a history of turning out productive units, and the progress of the OL over the last season has me as optimistic as I've really ever been.

WR is a bit of a question mark. Can they get separation and read the zones to find the soft spots? But I anticipate Brock will have better protection this year to get good balls to the right person.

Special teams, specifically the coverage units, is the only real concern IMO. People like to rag on our FG kicking, but we've actually been pretty average lately. Being above average would be a bonus. Not having to attempt 40+ yard FGs would do a lot for our (or anyone's) average.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
To be fair, “not having to” and “not being willing to” are two entirely different animals.

Yeah, for the most part ISU has avoided trying 40+ yard FG unless they absolutely have to, which make the average statement a little deceiving. Hopefully one of the new guys will be able to at least get it there.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I think the fan base is starting to take Purdy for granted... Watch just how many throws he makes BEFORE receivers make their breaks. Sure, there is the occasionally TCU fumble-int, but when you look at him as a whole, he does so many things and makes so many throws that we haven't had in a long time.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I think the fan base is starting to take Purdy for granted... Watch just how many throws he makes BEFORE receivers make their breaks. Sure, there is the occasionally TCU fumble-int, but when you look at him as a whole, he does so many things and makes so many throws that we haven't had in a long time.
Idk if anyone is taking him for granted. I know how lucky we are to have Purdy. There are some parts of his game he can improve on. I love the fact Purdy takes risk. It's just knowing if it's best for the team at that particular moment. Sometimes it's ok to throw the ball away and live to fight another down.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I’d like to see Hall and Brock on the field together! Kolar, Allen, Hall & Brock with Purdy and Milton and 5 lineman would be an exciting offensive unit! With 3 receivers on third and long! With Brown in for Purdy on 4th and short!

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Final Analysis

It is nearly impossible to find a hole in this roster. The Cyclones are blessed with talent and experience. Led by one of the top coaches of the country, Iowa State expects nothing less than a Big 12 championship, which very well could lead to the College Football Playoff, with a Heisman Trophy finalist on the side.

National Ranking: 7