aTm Fans in Revolt

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Forgive me if this story has been posted previously - it's dated today and a quick search on this site didn't turn it up.

Scout.com: Decision Not Sitting Well With Texas A&M Fans

" a vocal segment of the donor group plans to make a last-ditch plea to resurrect the SEC plan and put pressure on officials to listen to its customers. Several recent large on-line polls favor joining the SEC by a an overwhelming 85-90% mark."

Reactions: ISU_Alum_2000

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Well, according to Chip Brown, Arkansas has put out feelers to joining the big 12(however the votes do not appear to be there). IF that is correct, we could trade. Also, if A&M leaves, then only OU and Texas would get the extra financial benefits that all schools agreed to.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Well, according to Chip Brown, Arkansas has put out feelers to joining the big 12(however the votes do not appear to be there). IF that is correct, we could trade. Also, if A&M leaves, then only OU and Texas would get the extra financial benefits that all schools agreed to.

If you read the article, one of the items that attracts A&M to the SEC are their long-standing rivalries with LSU (close) and Arkansas (old SWC). I doubt "trading out the two" is likely since they have mutual attraction...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
aTm's life won't be any better in the SEC. Could be a lot worse. It's risky, and fans are stupid.

hardy

Oct 26, 2008
Arkansas continues to tell anyone who will listen that they are not leaving the SEC, they did so again yesterday in response to Jerry Jones comments.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
aTm's life won't be any better in the SEC. Could be a lot worse. It's risky, and fans are stupid.

Yeah I think its a case of A&M fans blaming their problems on Texas and thinking everything will be magically rosy if they go to the SEC.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
hard to be in the shadow of Texas. I imagine if ISU was in the same league as Iowa, and all we heard about was Iowa, we would be saying get us out of here too. Quite frankly, don't know what their problem is.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah I think its a case of A&M fans blaming their problems on Texas and thinking everything will be magically rosy if they go to the SEC.

Yup. And you can also replace "A&M" with "ISU" and "SEC" with "Big Ten" and the statement would be equally true. It's a destructive attitude.

An A&M swap for Arkansas would not be so great. It results in the loss of another AAU school for the conference. Then Powers at UT will get cranky about academics, and I don't like where it goes from there...

Oh, and there's no way that 90% of A&M fans want to go to the SEC, particularly the ones who give a hoot about academics...

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Yup. And you can also replace "A&M" with "ISU" and "SEC" with "Big Ten" and the statement would be equally true. It's a destructive attitude.

This is not so good. An A&M swap for Arkansas results in the loss of another AAU school for the conference. Then Powers at UT will get cranky about academics, and I don't like where it goes from there...

Agreed, quite a bit of venom has been unfairly directed at Texas here as well. That said had the Big 10 offered a slot to ISU I would say that the benefits would have outweighed the negatives.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
i would be down with that switch

That's what I'm talking 'bout...

kip.jpg

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

An A&M swap for Arkansas would not be so great. It results in the loss of another AAU school for the conference. Then Powers at UT will get cranky about academics, and I don't like where it goes from there...

Oh, and there's no way that 90% of A&M fans want to go to the SEC, particularly the ones who give a hoot about academics...

I would like to here some reasons as to why ISU wouldn't be better off in the Big 10.....

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would like to here some reasons as to why ISU wouldn't be better off in the Big 10.....

It would hurt our recruiting in Texas and our recruiting overall. We don't have many talent rich recruiting areas and not a lot of connections to Big10 country. The established Big10 teams either recruit nationally or have inroads in the core Big10 states.

ISU would still do what we could to recruit Texas, but the draw of playing against Texas teams would be gone.

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons we would not leap at going to the Big10.

I guess if our rivalry game with Iowa was in conference it would be harder to sneak up on them than it is at the beginning of the year. Not a reason not to go though.

(Yes, I know there is almost no chance we would ever go to the Big10)

Help Support Us

Become a patron