Atmosphere…horrible

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll give credit to those of you who go. As I've aged the idea of being in my climate-controlled living room, with my affordable beverages, with the food of my choosing, with my bed within a 15 second walk has just won out over my desire to go to games.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'll give credit to those of you who go. As I've aged the idea of being in my climate-controlled living room, with my affordable beverages, with the food of my choosing, with my bed within a 15 second walk has just won out over my desire to go to games.
I'm actually starting to get there with football. It's expensive, it takes the entire day away and there's so many times where I think that sitting on my deck watching the game with family is the better option. It's become way more of a TV production than an experience for fans in the building and that's at all levels, not just the P5. I say that as someone that's missed a total of 8 UNI home games in my lifetime and, until COVID, hit every Iowa State home game when UNI wasn't at home for several years.

You'll have to pry going to basketball games out of my cold, dead hands but I'm kind of at a tipping point with football.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm actually starting to get there with football. It's expensive, it takes the entire day away and there's so many times where I think that sitting on my deck watching the game with family is the better option. It's become way more of a TV production than an experience for fans in the building and that's at all levels, not just the P5. I say that as someone that's missed a total of 8 UNI home games in my lifetime and, until COVID, hit every Iowa State home game when UNI wasn't at home for several years.

You'll have to pry going to basketball games out of my cold, dead hands but I'm kind of at a tipping point with football.
After Saturday I’m leaning towards not going to games for awhile. The media timeouts are so killer and as many others in here have said, the gameday atmosphere just hasn’t really improved at all. And (minor complaint) I had read on here for the UNI game that cell service in and around the stadium was great and then I wasn’t able to use my phone at all on Saturday. I don’t need anything major but just able to check scores during media timeouts would be nice. Instead I have to sit there in a ****** mood cause we are trying and failing to beat Ferentz at his own game yet again. It’s just overall not an enjoyable experience, but getting back to winning would sure help

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
After Saturday I’m leaning towards not going to games for awhile. The media timeouts are so killer and as many others in here have said, the gameday atmosphere just hasn’t really improved at all. And (minor complaint) I had read on here for the UNI game that cell service in and around the stadium was great and then I wasn’t able to use my phone at all on Saturday. I don’t need anything major but just able to check scores during media timeouts would be nice. Instead I have to sit there in a ****** mood cause we are trying and failing to beat Ferentz at his own game yet again. It’s just overall not an enjoyable experience, but getting back to winning would sure help
Did you have Verizon? We have US Cell and we were able to text and be online. I thought it was quite good.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Did you have Verizon? We have US Cell and we were able to text and be online. I thought it was quite good.
I have US Cellular and for whatever reason it was just like it always is. I could get the occasional text out but otherwise had nothing the entire game

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I am getting there myself, it's just getting to be a pain in the butt to drive that far and spend all day at the game. Saturday, I left home at 5:30 AM and got back home around 9:00 PM, makes for a long day. It's still enjoyable but being in my 60's it's getting more taxing each year. I am really glad that ISU is on the road this week so I can stay at home and just watch the game on TV.

I am really thinking about just doing the 3-game package for next year, I hate to give up my seats, but we really like the section and the seats, but maybe it's getting to be time.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I am getting there myself, it's just getting to be a pain in the butt to drive that far and spend all day at the game. Saturday, I left home at 5:30 AM and got back home around 9:00 PM, makes for a long day. It's still enjoyable but being in my 60's it's getting more taxing each year. I am really glad that ISU is on the road this week so I can stay at home and just watch the game on TV.

I am really thinking about just doing the 3-game package for next year, I hate to give up my seats, but we really like the section and the seats, but maybe it's getting to be time.
Hang in there.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Lol. Not sure if this is a serious post.

Iowa State can't control the airtime for military equipment.

Iowa State stunk and it was a boring game. Hard to pump up the crowd with the play on the field.

Juicy Wiggle only plays after the first TD of the 2nd half. Score with two minutes left? That's when it happens, no exceptions.
Could be the flyover, by the way, who flew over, or it could be the bands timing.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I literally LOL'd at this because this is every boomer fan take in our fan base.

Are we a historically bad program? Yes.

Has Matt Campbell raised the standard at Iowa State where bowl games are now expected on pretty much an annual basis? Yes

Do we have to run a pre-21st century offense to go with one of the best defenses in the country? NO.

Should Iowa State fans only have to settle for a .500 record and that is only where this program can go? NO! (Look at what Snyder did and now what Klieman is doing at K-State).
Not so long ago KSU fans were screaming to can Klieman, same at times with Snyder.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I have US Cellular and for whatever reason it was just like it always is. I could get the occasional text out but otherwise had nothing the entire game
USCellular here. Couldn’t get any website to load outside (we sit in SEZ) and texts didn’t go anywhere. Data and WiFi were both non-starters until we went inside. It had been much better last week.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
He won’t move them back. It wasn’t in the name of the other teams safety, it’s because the old student section sections were an easier sale than trying to sell the corner seats.

If anything I wish they could of been moved in same spot on the opposite side. Before ISU switched sidelines students were on same sideline as our fball team.

Reactions: bostrem00 and NWICY

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I like to get into the stadium about 10 to 15 minutes before kickoff. That used to mean heading to the stadium about a half hour before kickoff. For me to be able to do that now our own athletic department recommends getting in line an hour before kickoff. That's completely unacceptable to me and piss poor customer service. If that's the new normal than count me out. We better have an exciting and/or good team to put up with that ********. We have neither right now.

Reactions: NWICY

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
He won’t move them back. It wasn’t in the name of the other teams safety, it’s because the old student section sections were an easier sale than trying to sell the corner seats.
You're probably right which makes me even more mad about it

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
It’s not just ISU fans of course. I was an Iowa season ticket holder for a couple of decades. It just isn’t worth it anymore. I can watch at home.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I wanted to add something of note.

With the student section moving. One issue is the band not being in the same area. My daughter says they barely can hear the band, if at all, in the student section. She said during half time they cant hear the show at all, and during the game, they can barely hear them play.

So part of the problem is that, the students and band feed off each other, and now that they are in complete opposite ends of the stadium it is an issue. Most schools have their band sitting in the student section, we had a separate area, next to the students, but now they are too separated.

I dont know what the answer is now that they moved the students, without moving them back, which will not happen.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I wanted to add something of note.

With the student section moving. One issue is the band not being in the same area. My daughter says they barely can hear the band, if at all, in the student section. She said during half time they cant hear the show at all, and during the game, they can barely hear them play.

So part of the problem is that, the students and band feed off each other, and now that they are in complete opposite ends of the stadium it is an issue. Most schools have their band sitting in the student section, we had a separate area, next to the students, but now they are too separated.

I dont know what the answer is now that they moved the students, without moving them back, which will not happen.
Put the students on the NW corner of the stadium. That way they won’t impede the opposing team when they storm the field and they will be next to the band

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Put the students on the NW corner of the stadium. That way they won’t impede the opposing team when they storm the field and they will be next to the band

This is what they should have done (and they could have offered the seats in the NE corner first to the NW). Now that they've done the switch it'll be much harder to do that without upsetting lots more people.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Winning is the best perfume but I thought it was really fun in there last night. Crowd was engaged and into it. Got loud when it needed to. Just a good night at the ball yard.

Plus, the cell service was good enough that I could stream UNI at times.

It's just better at night!

Reactions: JimmyChitwood