Attendance limited at FB, WBB, MBB (short term for now)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From a Jamie Pollard email this afternoon:
After thorough discussion and consultation with university and community leaders, we have decided to limit attendance at Saturday’s football game against Kansas State to families and guests of student-athletes and staff. The marching band and spirit squad will also attend the game.

We have also decided to limit attendance at men’s and women’s basketball games through the end of November to families and guests of student-athletes and staff.

IowaStateFam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2017
You are right, it makes a lot of sense to eliminate something that has had zero negative effect on anyone's life and a positive effect on tens of thousands.

If Jamie was being honest, he would have said, "Due to social pressure and fear, we are eliminating fans for the foreseeable future. We apologize that, as a university, we have done too good of a job at mitigating risk and being a beacon of light in the unending darkness. Therefore, we must now heel to the mob so as not to be castigated into the eternal depths. Thanks for your understanding. Go Cyclones."

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO Jamie is smart enough to see the number of new daily cases and the risk of having fans in the stands is not worth it.

If ISU can get through the next week without an outbreak within the football program, then it should become easier once the general student population goes home for the semester next week.

If ISU football can stay Covid free and we beat KSU and Texas- we could be in for a historic season

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
You are right, it makes a lot of sense to eliminate something that has had zero negative effect on anyone's life and a positive effect on tens of thousands.

If Jamie was being honest, he would have said, "Due to social pressure and fear, we are eliminating fans for the foreseeable future. We apologize that, as a university, we have done too good of a job at mitigating risk and being a beacon of light in the unending darkness. Therefore, we must now heel to the mob so as not to be castigated into the eternal depths. Thanks for your understanding. Go Cyclones."
He's smart enough to not word it that way. He kind of likes his job and wants to keep it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's smart enough to not word it that way. He kind of likes his job and wants to keep it.

Jamie was pissed in September when his plan got derailed, but he also said that he had been figuring that they wouldn't have fans at any games. I suspect that this time, he is a lot calmer and can understand the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: CyBobby and CySmurf

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

It’s not quite that simple but saying societal pressure, PR, and optics had minimal impact on the decision is not true.

Reactions: Chitowncy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't realize the Fall Semester ends on the 25th - wow. Was that the original schedule, or altered after the semester began due to covid?
It was set in July/early August iirc. Kid knew when he started in August that he was done then.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Something I don’t think I’ve seen discussed - if one of the two teams going to the Big 12 title game can’t play it due to an outbreak, do the two share the title or is it a forfeit? I assume as that point it’s a forfeit.

• Wow
Reactions: Cycsk

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Maybe the best season ever at Iowa State and know memories to go with it. Just the C word!

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would have liked to see them still have fans, but maybe with reduced attendance (12,500). Unless things have changed, it doesn't sound like many super-spreaders come from outdoor events. But I get the decision and won't rail against it.

Also if you refuse to wear a mask, you're a selfish ass.