Avalos: "Chaplain issue must never die"

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Apparently Mr. Avalos won't let the chaplain issue die. Time to give it up; your fight is over Mr. Avalos.

DesMoinesRegister.com

It's good to see the amount of Profs that support him is down to two. Maybe this is the last we'll hear about the issue.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Nothing is better than beating an issue into the ground. Congrats Avalos for fighting the good fight so much that noone cares anymore.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I don't know which I find more pathetic. A professor drunk on the notoriety received for challenging this issue from the beginning, or the Register for giving a militant minority a voice.

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The press release makes a good point about the nefarious recruiting intentions of Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

That said, I'm glad Gene got his aide, because:

1. The aide can't help but improve recruiting in the south, and that's really what's important here.
2. A jesus/god message is probably pretty good at making kids toe the line and not question much.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I'm convinced he wants to sue the university. To sue the university you have to have "standing". tax payers do not have standing to challenge this. No football player is going to challenge this. Avalos IMO is trying to get the University to reopen the hiring process, have a puppet of his apply and get denied and then sue the university for purposeful discrimination.

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't put it past him.

Regarding the "nefarious" recruiting by FCA, that practice is only "nefarious" if done in the wrong place and/or at the wrong time. Certainly the chaplain position is not a proper position to prosteltyze from.

CyKosys

Nov 24, 2006
Avalos is an embarassment to the University. Does anyone else get tired of these pompous, pious university-types who have nothing else to do (4-6 contact hours per week...maybe) than to tramp on the innocuous? This guy needs some REAL work. As one wise alumnus once told me, "University politics is so fierce precisely because the stakes are so low"! Ain't it the truth!!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Someone, please send these to him...

BeatDeadHorse.gif

shutup.jpg

yapping.gif

Last edited:

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Avalos is an embarassment to the University. Does anyone else get tired of these pompous, pious university-types who have nothing else to do (4-6 contact hours per week...maybe) than to tramp on the innocuous? This guy needs some REAL work. As one wise alumnus once told me, "University politics is so fierce precisely because the stakes are so low"! Ain't it the truth!!

What really torques me is that the state is paying hector $56,000 bucks a year to mess with the football program.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
He has a valid point, unfortunately. I think what bothers me the most here is what looks like an effort at all costs by Chizik and Pollard to get someone in this position who will promote their own personal religious beliefs. I'm going to go out a real limb here and guess that Chizik is probably a Baptist as well.

We really have so many more important issues to deal with in our football program, and I really can't see how this Baptist guy will add anything to the table. You guys do realize southern Baptists tend to be much more fundamentalist about their religion than other Christian sects? A player who is more low key about his religion or one not religious at all would probably choose someone other than a Baptist chaplain for life advice if given a choice. Is a mass football player Baptism in Lake LaVerne next?!

For those who argue that a chaplain helps keep players in line and makes them morally responsible, please show me the evidence that this is true. In fact, I'd say the SEC has more issues with players getting in serious trouble with the law than any other conference, and the SEC probably has more chaplain type positions because it's in the south.

Take Auburn, where Chizik coached prior to Texas. Auburn has a horrible track record with players getting in trouble, and they've had many players involved in violent crimes like murder and drug dealing. Apparently the chaplain hasn't helped much there.

For the people who support this position, please explain how this guy is going to help the team win more games. In fact there is no evidence that a team with a chaplain will have greater success on and off the field, so really, what's the point?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
He has a valid point, unfortunately. I think what bothers me the most here is what looks like an effort at all costs by Chizik and Pollard to get someone in this position who will promote their own personal religious beliefs. I'm going to go out a real limb here and guess that Chizik is probably a Baptist as well.

We really have so many more important issues to deal with in our football program, and I really can't see how this Baptist guy will add anything to the table. You guys do realize southern Baptists tend to be much more fundamentalist about their religion than other Christian sects? A player who is more low key about his religion or one not religious at all would probably choose someone other than a Baptist chaplain for life advice if given a choice. Is a mass football player Baptism in Lake LaVerne next?!

For those who argue that a chaplain helps keep players in line and makes them morally responsible, please show me the evidence that this is true. In fact, I'd say the SEC has more issues with players getting in serious trouble with the law than any other conference, and the SEC probably has more chaplain type positions because it's in the south.

Take Auburn, where Chizik coached prior to Texas. Auburn has a horrible track record with players getting in trouble, and they've had many players involved in violent crimes like murder and drug dealing. Apparently the chaplain hasn't helped much there.

For the people who support this position, please explain how this guy is going to help the team win more games. In fact there is no evidence that a team with a chaplain will have greater success on and off the field, so really, what's the point?

Ummmmm, can you explain to me how your much different point (and opinion) about how the chaplain isn't needed at all related to Avalos claim that the hiring process was flawed?

Regardless of whether you think this position is needed, those responsible for the football program believe it is. Unless you or Avalos have a factual basis other than wild speculation and/or inference to claim that the hiring process was unfair you are up the creek w/o the proverbial paddle.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006

I support this position for 2 reasons. One, I am an evangelical Christian and do see not a problem with making a chaplain available to the football team. I think Christianity has a great deal of positives to offer.

The second reason I support it is because Gene Chizik, our new football coach, thought it was important. I think it is amazing that we have Chizik for a coach. I think he will be a great head coach and certainly seems like a great man off the field. If he thinks the team would benefit from a chaplain, that is good enough for me. He certainly knows more about football and how to run a winning program than I do.

Do you realize by questioning the decision to hire a chaplain you are basically questioning Chizik's ability to run his football program? Can he at least coach a game first?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Are we still debating this? Can we stop. Its over.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Avalos is assuming that this is still a University position despite not being paid by University funds. He could be right in that regard, I'm not sure.

The job was posted. Did someone other than our new chaplain apply? I don't know. I'm guessing no one else did and Avalos wishes someone someone had so that he could then have grounds to sue.