21. Ohio State (8-1)
22. Michigan (10-1)
23. Illinois (3-4)
24. Kentucky (6-4)
25. Iowa State (5-4)

Dropped Out
Northern Iowa (#25)

Others Receiving Votes
Miami (FL), North Carolina, Michigan State, Oregon State, Colorado State, Northern Iowa, California, Texas A&M, Western Kentucky, Marquette, Creighton, Northwestern, Oklahoma

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It's pretty amazing how disappointing of a season we've had so far and yet were still in the top 25. Definitely a testament to how awesome of a coach CJL is. I think we live and learn this season and make a run in the tournament. This team is full of athletes and when they learn how to actually play volleyball as a team and hopefully find a floor leader--Watch Out!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow. A 15 place drop in a little over 2 weeks. Not good.

We only remain in the top 25 by a thread based on last years standings and CJ, not on how we have played this year. Way disappointing so far. I thought maybe after the first two sets with Iowa that maybe we had turned a corner but than we looked bad until the 5th. I am not a very sophisticated fan and even those first two sets were the product of Iowa playing bad and not us playing well per the the coach. So I am just a dumb fan but I am a fan.

:sad:

CyclonesRule

Apr 10, 2006
West Des Moines
Besides Syracuse, the other teams we have lost to are ranked. The pre-Big XII schedule CJL has put together has been brutal. This team is young. They will improve this year. Next few years they could really be good.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We are going to get pole-axed by Nebby if we play how we have been.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We are going to get pole-axed by Nebby if we play how we have been.

the sad thing is we have the firepower to beat them. But those girls have to be hitting on all cylinders, passing like they used to and not this year..........and figure out how to block! It can't just be Matlock or Bigbee or Straube pulling us along- they plus Hockaday and others have to all be on tomorrow.

So yeah, probably not good, but is in Hilton.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
The last and only time ISU beat Nebraska, Hock had a block on the last play in set 5....that has to mean something right? hopefully.

I really hope we can come out and compete against them. Talent wise we are right up there and a win would certainly boost this squads confidence.

First ever win against a #1 program at home...bring it on.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
"losing" Wilms hurt us some. Less concerned with our ranking now, then at the end of the year. Definitely think this schedule may have been a little tough for the young team learning to play together, but maybe also good in the end. I have to give her props for the schedule, it is who we want to play, and teams of a caliber we want to see.

Hope they aren't worn down by season's end.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
"losing" Wilms hurt us some. ... Definitely think this schedule may have been a little tough for the young team learning to play together... .

Wilms certainly would have provided some added continuity, chemistry and experience that seem to be lacking. When half the players on the floor (at times) are new to college and high level division I volleyball, maybe it's not surprising the extent to which they've struggled.

The question then is, did the coaches anticipate having more experience back when the schedule was set up? Such as both Hannah's who are now not with the team? Or did they expect the new players would mesh more quickly and be up to the task? Or maybe they thought the All Americans coming back would carry the load for a while?

Under the circumstances, the current schedule as been more frustrating than fun.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Dudes, this is 1) early in the season, 2) a very tough schedule, 3) a number of new players, and 4) some new plays and new roles. While this is a tough schedule, it sets us up to play better in later in league play. Only worried about RPI for now. Yes, we may lose to Nebraska who are playing well, and maybe even drop out of the top 25, but I'll start worrying in November. We have a coach who has high ambitions for this program, and she is willing to hold her own feet to the fire to move us up. Is this not what we want from all our programs? Is this not what will make the Cyclone program stronger? So for now, take a pill, dudes, sit back and see how things evolve.

Last year, the boo birds were already out for Freddy H before Christmas, but when he got his team playing the system he wanted, and got people comfortable in their roles, look at what happened. Same here. 'sides, wish Kevin J would take a page or two or three from Christie's plan!!

Go 'clones.

Last edited:

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Dudes, this is 1) early in the season, 2) a very tough schedule, 3) a number of new players, and 4) some new plays and new roles. While this is a tough schedule, it sets us up to play better in later in league play. Only worried about RPI for now. Yes, we may lose to Nebraska who are playing well, and maybe even drop out of the top 25, but I'll start worrying in November. We have a coach who has high ambitions for this program, and she is willing to hold her own feet to the fire to move us up. Is this not what we want from all our programs? Is this not what will make the Cyclone program stronger? So for now, take a pill, dudes, sit back and see how things evolve.

Last year, the boo birds were already out for Freddy H before Christmas, but when he got his team playing the system he wanted, and got people comfortable in their roles, look at what happened. Same here. 'sides, wish Kevin J would take a page or two or three from Christie's plan!!

Go 'clones.

TOTALLY AGREE !!!!!!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
By the end of the season, there will be no doubt. This team is going to do great things. Everyone just needs to sit back, shut up, and enjoy the ride.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
By the end of the season, there will be no doubt. This team is going to do great things. Everyone just needs to sit back, shut up, and enjoy the ride.

Take note that I stated this prior to beating #1 Nebby. I do love to say "I told ya so."