NBA: Avery Johnson out as Mavs coach

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
ESPN - Mavs, Johnson part ways after team's playoff ouster - NBA

From a local standpoint, this comes as no big surprise. Local sports radio has been reporting for a couple of months that many players on the team had "tuned out" Avery's rather vocal approach. There were also rumors of some less than cordial exchanges between Cuban and Johnson. The local media has also been critical of AJ's game time coaching decisions and overall strategy, and had commented on his ego getting in the way of making strategy changes.

The Mavs roster is really kind of a mess, so AJ didn't get much help there. They have mostly good starters, but the bench isn't very deep at all (especially relative to the Lakers, Spurs, Suns, and Hornets in the west), including a couple of guys who mentally are just out of it much of the time (Stackhouse and Howard).

'Twill be interesting to see which coach wants join up with Cuban...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Too late to hire Larry Brown. Maybe his boss can get the job. Isiah is available.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
According to the Suns ownership, D'Antoni still has a job. :skeptical:

While they negotiate the buyout and amicable parting of ways, I'm sure.

If I were D'Antoni, I'd probably want out of there. The Suns' window of opportunity has closed, and they have some major rebuilding to do.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
While they negotiate the buyout and amicable parting of ways, I'm sure.

If I were D'Antoni, I'd probably want out of there. The Suns' window of opportunity has closed, and they have some major rebuilding to do.

Of course, even though they denied it. No one ever says "no comment" anymore...unless they know Roger Clemens...

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
It's too bad for Avery ... Don Nelson teams choked many a time before AJ ever took over, and all he did was go like 200-75 over his tenure.

The NBA is a different animal though, its crazy how teams will rally big time for a couple years around the new guy, then sour and wilt in years 3 & 4. It seems to happen all the time.

Hope AJ and the Mavs the best. Dirk is one of my favorite players, but he may be destined to retire ala Malone and Barkley: ringless.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I find this suprisin, but to be honest.. i just listened to the interview that a radio station had with him and he is takin it very well and seems like alot better person then i thought.. i really hope AJ gets a good job, the guy is a good coach

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
Do people really think D'Antoni would do well in Chicago? AJ I think might work well but I don't see D'Antoni being a good fit...however I don't follow the NBA that closely.

Help Support Us

Become a patron