B12/SEC Challenge...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Their #3, #8, #9 and #11 teams are not playing. Out of 14 teams. That seems pretty 'fair' and not skewed.

I'm simply making point Big12 has struggled in these matchups. Hell we've gone 5-5 against the Big East the last 2 years.
They can only go off of historical results when they schedule these. Last year the teams that were excluded from this year's challenge went 9-9, 9-9, 7-11, and 1-17 so yes, they didn't exclude a single upper division team or a team with an over .500 conference record. It is pure chance that one of those teams managed to turn it around and be a top team in their league this year but the point remains that it is scheduled with mostly bottom half teams from the previous year being excluded - advantage SEC. Even with A&M turning it around the other three teams are all in the bottom half thus far this year - advantage SEC.

Is it an accident that teams like Kentucky and Florida have been scheduled to play in this every year while some teams have been excluded 5 out of 9 times like Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina? It will be 6 exclusions out of 10 for Georgia after this year.

Conference records during run of challenge:

Most excluded teams [exclusions]:
Georgia [5] 64-98 (.395)
Miss St [5] 68-94 (.420)
South Carolina [5] 75-85 (.469)
Missouri [4] 52-109 (.325)

Least excluded teams [exclusions]:
Kentucky [0] 121-40 (.752)
Florida [0] 98-62 (.613)
Arkansas [1] 95-66 (.590)
Tennessee [1] 93-68 (.578)

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
When you can pick (mostly) the best 10 of 14, you will avoid some of your laggards being forced to compete. Please note that Vanderbilt is NOT on the docket, for example. Wonder how many times (if any?) they have been in this thing?? Conversely, the Big12 plays everybody, even our doormat(s), EVERY YEAR.

Based on matchups and locations, I wouldn't be shocked if SEC won 6 games. Then ESPN can start a storyline on how the Big12 is overrated, which is what they want anyway.
I went to the Iowa State @ Vanderbilt game in the Challenge six years ago. Unfortunately, the Cyclones lost, but I had a nice dinner in the West End after the game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Most unexpected: Oklahoma over Alabama (a win at home not entirely shocking, but I didn't expect a 24-point thrashing)
Second-most unexpected: Tech winning at LSU
Most disappointing: Take a guess :(
Least surprising: K-State over Florida

--> for the record, I thought WVU was about 50-50 to beat Auburn.

Reactions: cycophagus

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
SEC. It just means more.
Yes, it adds some punctuation to another strong year for the Big 12. The SEC teams have surprised me each year with their level of enthusiasm in these matchups. But its in the history books now. If they add a challenge series in the future, I'd rather see it earlier in the season before there are players banged up. It is fun for the fans, and TV, but it has to be a grind for the players. We've had 18 games in the double round robin, and we'll see how it comes together next year. But I think the trend is toward 20 conference games.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
7-3 Big 12 :) Stinks to be one of the 3 losses but if taking a L (because we sat Grill) here means a conference title (because we will have Grill in those games) I'll take this L every time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yes, it adds some punctuation to another strong year for the Big 12. The SEC teams have surprised me each year with their level of enthusiasm in these matchups. But its in the history books now. If they add a challenge series in the future, I'd rather see it earlier in the season before there are players banged up. It is fun for the fans, and TV, but it has to be a grind for the players. We've had 18 games in the double round robin, and we'll see how it comes together next year. But I think the trend is toward 20 conference games.
Mike Miles going down for TCU was the bummer of the day. Hopefully, it's just a sprain.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
7-3 Big 12 :) Stinks to be one of the 3 losses but if taking a L here means a conference title I'll take this L every time.
Edit: I understand what you meant now based on your Edit about Grill sitting. That makes sense that sitting him today can help ISU down the Big Xii stretch.

Let's Go State!

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Why would an L here help lead to a conference title more than a W here?

Will K-State beating Florida, KU winning @ UK and Baylor beating Arkansas mean they are less likely to win the Big Xii now?

Personally, I think ISU just laid an egg today.

Wut?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What is the record of home teams in this challenge?

Specifically those that are ranked under their visitors.