Backyard Cedar Shed

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Has anyone here built / bought a backyard cedar shed? I live near the Quad Cities and looking to put in a 10x12 Cedar Shed.

I've haven't found anybody local that sells pre-built cedar shed and have been doing quite a bit of research on-line. I have found several kits (~$3000 - $4000) for ones that come in panels and can be assembled in a day and other material kits (~$2000) that need to be fully built that simply come with the wood and basic plans.

I've looked at enough Internet resources and pictures to the point that I have a mental plan and spent a couple hours drafting it out and creating a material list that runs $1500. I am thinking of doing this as the material are local if I need extra or make a mistake cutting... however will basically be using my own plans which may / may not be inclusive. Also the $1500 material list is using top notch materials (pressure treated floors, seals, roofing.... thicker floor braces, etc... so beefed up).

Anybody else have any experiences here on the Internet panel kits, material kits, or the build it yourself route before I go to Menards this week to buy all my materials (pressure treated and cedar on sale until 18 May).

Attached is an example of what I want and plan to build.

Any advice, contacts to local builders, etc....

Thanks,

Last edited:

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I bought the heavy duty vinyl shed by Royal with the extension. It goes together in about two hours and is absolutely low maintenance. I did build the floor out of treated wood so I can move it someday if needed.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Norm made something kinda like it a few seasons ago on New Yankee Workshop.

If you want to go the DIY route, you could go online and order his plan and video, and make modifications as you like. Timeframe is a concern, obviously. It's nice because the vid give some instruction and how-to that simple plans don't give.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Norm made something kinda like it a few seasons ago on New Yankee Workshop.

If you want to go the DIY route, you could go online and order his plan and video, and make modifications as you like. Timeframe is a concern, obviously. It's nice because the vid give some instruction and how-to that simple plans don't give.

But will he also need the 3,000 tool workshop that Norm has to build said project? I swear, Norm has 2 of every tool ever invented in that shop.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
But will he also need the 3,000 tool workshop that Norm has to build said project? I swear, Norm has 2 of every tool ever invented in that shop.

I doubt for that one. Norm pulled out his usual one or two "you gotta be kidding me" tools. But for the most part, it was more of nice to haves or makes you life a bit easier. Nothing project halting.

It's not a spindle legged colonial side chair with inlays. It's a shed. Pretty basic saw & hammer operation.

Last edited:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

No kidding. Anyone can build awesome **** if they have every freakin' tool known to man...

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I'd caution against Cedar. It looks great and is easy to work with, but is a major maintenance nightmare. My house, and fence are both Cedar and I have to spend way, way too much time cleaning, staining & fixing them. Cedar doesn't rot, but it sure dries and cracks easily.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I'd caution against Cedar. It looks great and is easy to work with, but is a major maintenance nightmare. My house, and fence are both Cedar and I have to spend way, way too much time cleaning, staining & fixing them. Cedar doesn't rot, but it sure dries and cracks easily.

Thanks everyone for your input. Concerning maintenance, has anyone tried one of these new Lifetime Sheds as offered through Sams or Costco? Here is the link. Maybe a better option then cedar?

Lifetime Products: Organize your stuff with a storage shed by Lifetime.

Wonder if these are quality sheds or eye sores like many of the other "cheap plastic" sheds?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Thanks everyone for your input. Concerning maintenance, has anyone tried one of these new Lifetime Sheds as offered through Sams or Costco? Here is the link. Maybe a better option then cedar?

Lifetime Products: Organize your stuff with a storage shed by Lifetime.

Wonder if these are quality sheds or eye sores like many of the other "cheap plastic" sheds?

I built one 10x12 and 10 high on concrete slab. Nice roll-up door.

My cost of materials was $1500, and I built it myself with the help of my brother (i'm too old to do this by myself any longer. I didn't use Cedar, just 4x8 siding panels and painted it the same color as my house.

This is a great shed, and will last a long, long time.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have about 500 cedar trees you can come cut down and make boards out of them.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You may be just as well off stick framing a shed and putting siding to match your house. Cedar is rather expensive stuff compared to studs, particle board, and siding. It would also likely be less maintenance work involved.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Also the $1500 material list is using top notch materials (pressure treated floors, seals, roofing.... thicker floor braces, etc... so beefed up).

Anybody else have any experiences here on the Internet panel kits, material kits, or the build it yourself route before I go to Menards this week to buy all my materials (pressure treated and cedar on sale until 18 May).

You can't get top notch materials at Menards. You should get your materials where the pros do.

This is what you want to build:

New Yankee Workshop - New Yankee Workshop Collection - Storage Shed

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron