Backyard fencing

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Anyone have an opinion on backyard fencing options and approximate pricing?

we're moving soon and our current home has a 6ft privacy fence in the backyard that is excellent at keeping kids and dogs in while also allowing me to pee off my deck in relative privacy. I really like it.

The new house has nothing - I'm am prepared to urinate inside from now on - but still would like something to contain the kids and dogs.

we'd be looking at somewhere between 200-250 ft. I priced that black coated chainlink at Menards for somewhere ~$10 a foot. Seems like this is going to be a pricey venture - and that's without getting an installer.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
SDC10327.JPG

Reactions: tim_redd

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The vinyl coated chain link is less, at least at installed price. I have to assume though that its easier to install also. I would go that route as I'm not a fan of the maintenance on wood. I've never had a new one so maybe they are great then but otherwise it seems your always fixing somthing thats rotten or blown down or blown down becase its rotten. Really though even plain galvanized is ok, it isnt that noticeable mostly imo.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

we're moving soon and our current home has a 6ft privacy fence in the backyard that is excellent at keeping kids and dogs in while also allowing me to pee off my deck in relative privacy. I really like it.

The new house has nothing - I'm am prepared to urinate inside from now on - but still would like something to contain the kids and dogs.

we'd be looking at somewhere between 200-250 ft. I priced that black coated chainlink at Menards for somewhere ~$10 a foot. Seems like this is going to be a pricey venture - and that's without getting an installer.

If you have a contractor do it, I'd recommend All-Star Fence out of Ankeny. The guy that owns it is real good friends with Paul Rhoads. I don't know how American Fence is on Residential projects, but I would never ever use them again anywhere after the way they performed on a Commercial project of mine.

With the chain link fencing, if you can get the stretching equipment from a buddy or for cheap, do that...otherwise you're never going to get the tension wire at the bottom snug as well as the fence fabric. I'm a big fan of wood privacy fencing.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I wouldn't worry about your urinating disturbing any neighbors... even without the fence they wouldn't be able to see much. I would worry about your neighbor getting a heart attack from not being able to stop laughing.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
We have a 6' wood privacy fence, which is great for keeping the dogs in (and I'm sure kids as well). However, we have become pretty good friends with our neighbors and it makes it really difficult to talk to them through the fence. If I did it over again I would install a 5 or 6' black vinyl coated chain link fence. Just another thing to think about.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Just built a 4 ft privacy fence around my brothers backyard last weekend. Used treated lumber that he had precut the last 2 weeks in advance in his garage. The install was relatively easy, just one straight board as a spacer and string stapled to the top of a preleveled and raised piece. Not sure about costs, but it was only for supplies. Let me know if you want anymore input, I can ask him for specifics.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Just built a 4 ft privacy fence around my brothers backyard last weekend. Used treated lumber that he had precut the last 2 weeks in advance in his garage. The install was relatively easy, just one straight board as a spacer and string stapled to the top of a preleveled and raised piece. Not sure about costs, but it was only for supplies. Let me know if you want anymore input, I can ask him for specifics.

I just have to ask: what is the logic behind a 4-foot privacy fence? Is the midget next door a voyeur?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I just have to ask: what is the logic behind a 4-foot privacy fence? Is the midget next door a voyeur?

I happen to like the 4' fence. I have a 6 footer and makes our back yard feel too isolated. I have small kids and dogs, so a 4 footer would do the trick and open it up a little.

I guess if you're looking more for privacy, then 6' is the route to go. If you're just looking for a way to keep mamals in/out then 4' could be an option.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009

Okay so maybe it isn't a privacy fence when it is only 4 foot, my bad. But yeah it is mainly meant to keep the dogs and kids in, and not isolate the neighbors off because most of them are alright.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I happen to like the 4' fence. I have a 6 footer and makes our back yard feel too isolated. I have small kids and dogs, so a 4 footer would do the trick and open it up a little.

I guess if you're looking more for privacy, then 6' is the route to go. If you're just looking for a way to keep mamals in/out then 4' could be an option.

Just making a little joke. There's no such thing as a 4-foot privacy fence.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I didn't price wood, but I started with chain link thinking I would put it in. Priced it, then got a quote, just to motivate myself to do all that work. After getting the quote, it wasn't worth it to me to put it in. My neighbor tied into mine, and did all the work himself. Cheaper material, crappier install. He has a small dog he wanted it for, and there are sections that are so high off the ground, he ended up having to put in one of those invisible fences inside the other fence so the dog didn't just go under the fence. A guy I work with had the same experience, what he would have saved in doing it himself wasn't worth it. At least get a quote, I'd say.

burgcy

Dec 30, 2010
Omaha
I'm a sub-contractor for a fence company in Omaha, it all depends on what you want. Many different things to consider, I put in a lot of 6' and a lot of 4'. I mainly install vinyl, a very good product, not the crap they sell at Menards and Home Depot. The easiest way for me to explain it is -- you get what you pay for. You skimp on price and your fence won't last a long time or you have constant maintenance. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help you out. I have heard that All-Star does good work.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Regarding companies, I see thumbs down on American, up on All-Star. Any other suggestions on companies? We're getting a 4' black clad vinyl fence and have bids from Des Moines Steel and American.