Bacon Fest '13

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Speaking of Bacon Fest, did anyone hear Murph and Andy today with that Hacksaw guy. That was the most awkward hour of radio I've ever heard in my life.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Speaking of Bacon Fest, did anyone hear Murph and Andy today with that Hacksaw guy. That was the most awkward hour of radio I've ever heard in my life.

[video=youtube;R9e8nPkT3rg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9e8nPkT3rg[/video]

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went last year and loved the first hour. After the first hour there was about 55 minutes of standing in line for every 5 minutes of bacon eating. With the number of tickets doubling I didn't think it was a good choice. I hope they move it to a multiple day event.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
To the Blue Ribon Bacon Fest I say PHHHBBBBBBBBBBBBBT.

We went in 2010 when it was at the Scottish Rite. It was AWESOME. More bacon and drink then you could even try to consume. Roller derby girls brought you the food. Bacon Explosions. Lots of fun. The next year at Capital Square sucked. Two bathroom stalls for a couple thousand people. People guarding the escalators so that no more than a handful was on it at one time because of capacity issues - but you needed that escalator to move between the two floors of food and drink. Long line for one bite of bacon-food, if it was even left by the time your time standing was done. And something like 30 chairs for a couple thousand people. A crapppy sound system. We didn't go last year but friends who did go left after a couple hours because of long lines and the same old shashizzle.

This year we're holding the Mo' Better Bacon Fest with friends tomorrow. Everyone is contributing bacon dishes and it will be great! Everyone gets a chair, maybe two. Kevin Bacon movies. Boooooooze. One bathroom per every ten people.

Take that you greedy ******** who aren't in for the love of bacon, just their own fame.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
I'm getting ready to head to Bacon Fest now. This is my first year going and I am hoping its as good as I think it will be. I expect to wait in lines with 8000 tickets being sold so that probably wont ruin anything for me. Just hoping for some great tasting bacon

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

We went in 2010 when it was at the Scottish Rite. It was AWESOME. More bacon and drink then you could even try to consume. Roller derby girls brought you the food. Bacon Explosions. Lots of fun. The next year at Capital Square sucked. Two bathroom stalls for a couple thousand people. People guarding the escalators so that no more than a handful was on it at one time because of capacity issues - but you needed that escalator to move between the two floors of food and drink. Long line for one bite of bacon-food, if it was even left by the time your time standing was done. And something like 30 chairs for a couple thousand people. A crapppy sound system. We didn't go last year but friends who did go left after a couple hours because of long lines and the same old shashizzle.

This year we're holding the Mo' Better Bacon Fest with friends tomorrow. Everyone is contributing bacon dishes and it will be great! Everyone gets a chair, maybe two. Kevin Bacon movies. Boooooooze. One bathroom per every ten people.

Take that you greedy ******** who aren't in for the love of bacon, just their own fame.

That's actually a pretty good plan.

I heard this year you are actually given a few tickets for bacon and then you have to buy the rest. That may keep lines down a little.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines

This is the winning idea! There was 4 of us that were going to go but we decided 140 bucks was crazy. I decided a whole pork belly and a bunch of alcohol could be much cheaper without the hassles of 7,990 extra people. Today the cured belly gets smoked in preparation for the cool baconfest two weekends away.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I have tickets but actually not able to go anymore. But after reading this thread I think making my own bacon fest at home would probably be more fun.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Baconfest ruled!!!! I know the crowd got a little annoying at times, but the food and drink was worth it, I will be planning a return next year...

jcats322

Oct 6, 2007
West Des Moines
For those that attended, what was your favorite items? My list...
1. Bacon Taco with hot sauce - El Chisme
2. Bacon Gumbo - Jethro's
3. Bacon Explosion Sandwich - ???

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
For those that attended, what was your favorite items? My list...
1. Bacon Taco with hot sauce - El Chisme
2. Bacon Gumbo - Jethro's
3. Bacon Explosion Sandwich - ???

Best (Pork) Sandwich: Lynch BBQ Carolina Syle Bacon & BBQ with slaw
Best Alternative Protien Sandwich:Trostel's Trio Templeton Rye Elk & Bacon Slider, although the Elk was well done the sandwich won for being different
Something Different: Trostel's Trio "Man Candy" which was small cubed fat back bacon with brown sugar
Best Corp Bacon: Farmland ( they did a good job having alll 4 sides of their booth serving bacon free will all day
Best Local Bacon: Corwith Locker (Damn good piece of meat) You can buy this product through their website

Didn't go till after 1:30 so I could let the crowd get drunk and filled with food, as there was minimal food lines.

Lastly I will say the sound system sucked and that was the only downer to the day.