Barkskins on NatGeo

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Reasonably entertaining drama based on the book(s?) of Annie Proulx...

Has anyone read - and can recommend - the book(s)?

Basic premise is story follows the generations of french immigrants to the NE that started from 2 OGs (indentured servants)...

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Have not read the books but for those of you that like this I'd suggest Frontier on Netflix. I think there are 3 seasons so far. Has Jason Momoa. Roughly same time and setting as Barksins. Early fur trade in Hudson Bay region and conflicts between French, English, and various Indian tribes.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Reasonably entertaining drama based on the book(s?) of Annie Proulx...

Has anyone read - and can recommend - the book(s)?

Basic premise is story follows the generations of french immigrants to the NE that started from 2 OGs (indentured servants)...

Saw the commercials, it started around the same time that the Grant limited series on History Channel started. Was planning to watch, still am, but the more I saw the commercials the more it looked like some serious overacting happening. Maybe it was just the one guy I kept seeing.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Saw the commercials, it started around the same time that the Grant limited series on History Channel started. Was planning to watch, still am, but the more I saw the commercials the more it looked like some serious overacting happening. Maybe it was just the one guy I kept seeing.

Definitely a docuDRAMA. A few characters are caricatures of cartoons but there does seem to be a little character development.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron