Barntown is really really good

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Pulpit Rock makes the best pastry sours I’ve ever tasted- they’re phenomenal, but hey if you’d rather drink piss than go ahead.

Anyone wanting good quality traditional beers should be going to Confluence.
Ok, Nancy, enjoy your cupcake beer. You might want to wash it down with some cranberry juice, I hear it's good for you when you are having your period.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Love Barn Town and Pulpit Rock but their price points are way too high. 16 dollars for a 4 pack of lager from Barn town is insane, as is 7 per single on the pastry sours. Lua and Dimensional are the 2 best breweries in the state right now.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Is there a brewery in the metro that makes better food? Not a beer guy but do love food. Love the burgers specifically the barn fire and the cheese curds at barntown.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Is there a brewery in the metro that makes better food? Not a beer guy but do love food. Love the burgers specifically the barn fire and the cheese curds at barntown.

Do any other breweries in the metro do food? Like their own food? That’s one thing I don’t like about CBus breweries, 99% of them are also restaurants. Thankfully the one I like isnt. This is just a weird thing I have...I don’t like it when people are dining and I’m trying to drink. I like it better when everyone is just drinking.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I enjoy a good pastry beer and milkshake IPA but they are definitely not any sort of consistent go to. I like trying all kinds of beer though. Just depends on the mood I am in and what I am doing. Sometimes there is nothing better than a good crisp lager or pilsner.

Reactions: Cycho1

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Do any other breweries in the metro do food? Like their own food? That’s one thing I don’t like about CBus breweries, 99% of them are also restaurants. Thankfully the one I like isnt. This is just a weird thing I have...I don’t like it when people are dining and I’m trying to drink. I like it better when everyone is just drinking.
In MN there are brewpubs and breweries. Brewpubs can serve food but can only sell liquor onsite in growlers or crowlers. Breweries cannot serve food but can distribute. Breweries here just usually have food trucks sitting outside. There are a couple breweries that have kitchens where they host extended pop ups from different chefs so not sure how that works.

MN has a lot of weird liquor laws.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Lua also has food

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Fenceline also does food. Usually only a few items, but their biscuits (made with spent grain) and gravy are delicious.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As well as Exile, all three are actually fantastic dining options IMO. That being said if you want to get your drink on @Gunnerclone 515, Confluence, Peacetree, Firetrucker, Alluvial, Torrent, and others are all without full kitchens.
If you are ever in rural NE Iowa, St. Charles Brewery in Charles City does not have a kitchen either. Good one to hit up on your way to or from the Decorah breweries.

• Agree
Reactions: Ozclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As well as Exile, all three are actually fantastic dining options IMO. That being said if you want to get your drink on @Gunnerclone 515, Confluence, Peacetree, Firetrucker, Alluvial, Torrent, and others are all without full kitchens.

Forgot about Exile. They do have a nice dining experience that’s separated from the “bar side” which is nice (maybe that’s only in good weather?). I really want to try Lua it’s on my list for whenever I come back to DSM.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Also, Kinship in Waukee is a newer brewery without a kitchen. It’s right off the bike trail that will take you by 515 and Confluence if you’re into riding.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Pulpit Rock makes the best pastry sours I’ve ever tasted- they’re phenomenal, but hey if you’d rather drink piss than go ahead.

Anyone wanting good quality traditional beers should be going to Confluence.

Pulpits pastry sours are phenomenal versions of what they are, it's just not my jam.

Thankfully Pulpit makes a phenomenal Keller Pils and a boatload of top shelf IPAs and APAs.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Love Barn Town and Pulpit Rock but their price points are way too high. 16 dollars for a 4 pack of lager from Barn town is insane, as is 7 per single on the pastry sours. Lua and Dimensional are the 2 best breweries in the state right now.

Dimensional and Lua are both excellent. Dimensional is a great tap room, and that whole neighborhood of Dubuque is cool, and has a major "up and coming" vibe to it. I like 7 Hills (other end of downtown) as well. They have good food.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Pulpits pastry sours are phenomenal versions of what they are, it's just not my jam.

Thankfully Pulpit makes a phenomenal Keller Pils and a boatload of top shelf IPAs and APAs.

There’s not much that PR brews that isn’t really good, at least that I’ve had. Love their PAs and stouts. Next time I’m up there I’ll look for the Pils and hopefully the taproom will be able to reopen soon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron