Bars/Hot Spots for Big 12 Championship

Mar 14, 2019
Hey all,

Heading to Dallas with a bunch of buddies for the Big 12 Ship. I’m wondering what are the best bars/places to drink in the Dallas area. Also, is there going to be a pep rally or is it too soon to know? I’m hearing GTO’s is a great spot to drink. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I went down to a World Series game this year, and there is an entertainment district similar to Power & Light in Kansas City that is walking distance from all (3) stadiums. Bars, food, live music when I was there (early afternoon).

Not sure how early it will be open for an 11 am game.

Reactions: CyclonePower44

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Hey all,

Heading to Dallas with a bunch of buddies for the Big 12 Ship. I’m wondering what are the best bars/places to drink in the Dallas area. Also, is there going to be a pep rally or is it too soon to know? I’m hearing GTO’s is a great spot to drink. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah definitely hit up @GTO 's Kitchen as suggested in the other thread! :p

Otherwise I recommend the Fort Worth Stockyards, especially if that's your kind of thing. Downtown Fort Worth has some cool places too.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Hey all,

having been there several times for the Big 12 tournament, go down with low expectations for good bars and you’ll be good.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I would guess no organized pep rally or official Iowa State gatherings. With limited fans and Covid it will be unlike other normal Championship games, plus throw in the 11am start and it limits things even more.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Hey all,
Don’t live in Dallas or Texas, so I have no idea what I’m talking about... my recommendation though is to have low expectations. Given the current situation we are all going through it is very likely that bars, restaurants, pep rallies will all have some type of limitation.

Mar 14, 2019
No troll post. Though I didn’t realize GTO was a poster on this site when everyone was saying head there lol. Just wanted to know some places to head to while I’m in Dallas. Oh, and don’t worry, I’ll wear a mask so I’ll be good.

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: cstrunk and NWICY

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Don't get too excited...DFW broke the threshold defined by Gov Abbott today and bars are going back to closed. Not sure for how long but the spike in DFW is not looking to be better before 12/19. Worth noting that many bars reclassified as restaurants during our first shutdown and restaurants are allowed open at 50% capacity.

IAC1858

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2008
Ankeny, IA
While Texas Live! will probably be the main spot to be, downtown Arlington appears to have some pretty good restaurants itself.

Reactions: CyclonePower44

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
I have been a season ticket holder to the Dallas Cowboys since the new stadium was built. We live in Des Moines and go to 1 or 2 games a year. We sell the tickets to the game we don't go to. I would highly recommend staying near the stadium in Arlington. Within walking distance from the stadium is a very nice sports bar called Boomerjacks. It has over 100 TV's, great food and great atmosphere. Only about 1/2 mile North of the stadium on N Collins Street. Or a newly developed area East of the stadium on E Randoll Mill Road where the new baseball field is at. In that area is a place called Troy's. Troy Aikman owns it. Again, great place and great area! You really can't go wrong if your in that area. Another tidbit, right across the street from At&T stadium is a Walmart. You can buy your refreshments there. There is also a McDonalds in the store in case you need a quick burger to get you through.

Mar 14, 2019
I have been a season ticket holder to the Dallas Cowboys since the new stadium was built. We live in Des Moines and go to 1 or 2 games a year. We sell the tickets to the game we don't go to. I would highly recommend staying near the stadium in Arlington. Within walking distance from the stadium is a very nice sports bar called Boomerjacks. It has over 100 TV's, great food and great atmosphere. Only about 1/2 mile North of the stadium on N Collins Street. Or a newly developed area East of the stadium on E Randoll Mill Road where the new baseball field is at. In that area is a place called Troy's. Troy Aikman owns it. Again, great place and great area! You really can't go wrong if your in that area. Another tidbit, right across the street from At&T stadium is a Walmart. You can buy your refreshments there. There is also a McDonalds in the store in case you need a quick burger to get you through.

Awesome! Thank you!

Reactions: cstrunk

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Whats your age range? That would help immensely to guide towards an area outside the immediate radius of the stadium.

Babb's BBQ that @Cycsk mentioned is owned by the Babb family. Chris Babb, former ISU MBB star. Winners BBQ up in Plano is owned by DeAndre Jackson former all Big 12 DB for ISU back in 05/06. Though I heard rumors he sold it and is opening a spot in Des Moines. Haven't been able to go and see.

Also I would just temper expectations since there was already restrictions and then we hit another circuit breaker to shut down all bars and further restrict restaurants in the 19 surrounding counties.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cstrunk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Whats your age range? That would help immensely to guide towards an area outside the immediate radius of the stadium.

Babb's BBQ that @Cycsk mentioned is owned by the Babb family. Chris Babb, former ISU MBB star. Winners BBQ up in Plano is owned by DeAndre Jackson former all Big 12 DB for ISU back in 05/06. Though I heard rumors he sold it and is opening a spot in Des Moines. Haven't been able to go and see.

Also I would just temper expectations since there was already restrictions and then we hit another circuit breaker to shut down all bars and further restrict restaurants in the 19 surrounding counties.

I've been talking with folks at "Babbs BBQ." They don't seem to have any appreciation for the fact that Iowa State is bringing thousands of fans to town. I didn't ask, but I suspect that the Babbs are no longer involved. I know that Mike Babb now has his own place west of Topeka. I'm hesitant about recommending it as it may be Babbs in name only. Plus, they only have two TV's in their dining area and none on their patio. I feel bad about saying it, but I think things have changed at Babbs.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've been talking with folks at "Babbs BBQ." They don't seem to have any appreciation for the fact that Iowa State is bringing thousands of fans to town. I didn't ask, but I suspect that the Babbs are no longer involved. I know that Mike Babb now has his own place west of Topeka. I'm hesitant about recommending it as it may be Babbs in name only. Plus, they only have two TV's in their dining area and none on their patio. I feel bad about saying it, but I think things have changed at Babbs.

Well I was gonna say I haven't seen any of the Babbs family there since like 2018 or early 2019. And the people that are taking pictures in front of the meat are not the Babb family. So they may be out of it... sucks they didn't change the name

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well I was gonna say I haven't seen any of the Babbs family there since like 2018 or early 2019. And the people that are taking pictures in front of the meat are not the Babb family. So they may be out of it... sucks they didn't change the name

How about we have a CF party at your place? I know you are trying to stay safe, so you don't have to be there. Just set out a table with some of that smoked meat you brag about! ;)