BCS Selections

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Media darlings my ***! The only team I see with a legit claim to the Championship game slot other than LSU is OU. VT is not even in the discussion for good reason:

-LSU 11-2, VT 11-2
-LSU Conference Champs - SEC, VT Conference Champs - ACC
-LSU beat VT 48-7, VT lost to LSU 7-48
-LSU has two triple OT losses, VT has two losses in regulation (one a blowout)
-LSU beat 6 ranked teams, VT beat 3 ranked teams (one of which they also lost to)
-LSU played 4 teams with losing records, VT played 4 teams with losing records
-LSU played 8 bowl teams, VT played 7 bowl teams
How do these numbers prove that "VT is not even in the discussion for good reason"? At worst, they're pretty comparable numbers. But what they don't take into account is that Virgina Tech's losses came to two good teams, and LSU's came to two teams that finished in the second division of their conference. Why should LSU be rewarded for playing down to their competition?

The one thing I don't understand is why LSU fans put such a fine point on their two losses being in triple overtime as opposed to "regulation" losses. Check out the won-lost column. They still count as losses. This isn't the NHL. You don't get an extra point in the standings for overtime losses. And frankly, LSU should have been able to put away these two little-more-than-average teams in regulation time.

All LSU had to do to secure the BCS title game without controversy was to beat an Arkansas team with a losing conference record in Death Valley, and they couldn't get that done. Meanwhile, Virgina Tech won their last 5 games and avenged there only conference loss in the ACC title game. Why should LSU jump over Virgina Tech after an absolute choke-job of a home loss followed by an uninspired win over a Tennessee team that isn't any better than the 4th- or 5th-best team in the conference?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
That's another thing I don't get. How come you're eliminated from Heisman consideration just because you tore your ACL late in the year?

Another Heisman question: What coach goes with McFadden to NY? Does Nutt go with him?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
No-one will play them, because Hawaii insists on actually playing home games. When teams fly to Hawaii, they get beat, because of the "jet lag" factor. So no good teams will risk getting beat and jeapordizing "their" potential ranking.
So? Suck it up. Travel to the mainland. Even if it's just one big non-conference road game a year. You don't hear Kent State or UNI whining because ISU won't go there and they have to play two road games. You do what you have to do. Don't say "nobody will play us" when that's simply not true.

Although I do not think that Hawaii has a top-rated defense that would survive being undefeated in the SEC (similar to Kentucky), beating up on them because of their schedule without doing the same to Ohio State isn't fair.

OSU defeated two teams with a winning conference record - Michigan and Wisconsin. Michigan lost to Appy State, Oregon, Wisconsin and OSU, and only beat 1 team with a winning conference record - Illinois (the same Illini that Iowa and Mizzou also beat). Wisconsin only had a winning conference record because their fourth road game was Minnesota, and they barely won that - otherwise, they lost all of their B10 road games and barely survived at UNLV early in the year.

OSU's best nonconference win - Washington. Otherwise, they only beat D1AA Youngstown State, Akron (4-8) and Kent (3-9).

Hawaii beat Boise State (comparable or better than Michigan this year) and Fresno State (I would put money on Fresno State at a neutral site over Wisconsin), crushed the same UNLV team at UNLV that 1 week prior almost beat Wisconsin and also beat Washington. Only difference, they don't have any losses.

You're comparing WAC teams to Big 10 teams. Boise and Hawaii are decent in the WAC. Fresno is tolerable, but the REST of that conference is HORRIBLE. UNLV is 2-10 this year. 2 and freaking 10. If you're resting on the fact that you crushed a 2 win team at home as justification that your schedule is "ok", you've got a pretty weak argument. You can look at non-conference schedules all you want. Yeah Ohio State's is pretty weak. No debating that.

Hawaii's is PUTRID, and their conference schedule is nowhere NEAR as tough as Ohio State's. Even a down Big 10 is way, WAY better than the WAC this year, from top to bottom. Sure Boise might be able to play with Michigan, and Fresno MIGHT give Wisconsin a bit of trouble, but Nevada lost to Northwestern (who shares the basement with Iowa), and from there it gets worse.

I'm not defending Ohio State's schedule, since it clearly is soft, but you could put a dozen teams in D1 through Hawaii's schedule and they'd be undefeated right now.

Say it's an 8 game playoff: I'd be much happier with the team that's getting left out for the 8th spot than the team that gets left out of the BCS title game simply because in most years, there's a big difference between the 1st and 8th teams, and the 8th seed doesn't normally stand a shot against the top team. This year may be the exception, because there is no team far and away better than everyone else.

OK, let's put an 8 team playoff together. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the 6 BCS conferences get their champions in. This is probably pretty logical, since there is no way a playoff will happen without at LEAST that happening. That leaves 2 at-large bids. So far you have LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Ohio State. Now, how can you NOT put Hawaii in there as the only undefeated team? This means that Georgia, Arizona State, Missouri and Kansas are all fighting for one spot. I don't see any of their resumes being any more or less impressive than the other. How do you decide there? Someone deserving of that spot will get left out. Georgia could well be the hottest team in the nation, but won't have a chance to play for the national championship.

It's also making me sick to see some of you on here "ok" with Illinois being in the Rose Bowl just because it's "good" that a Big 10 team gets to play there. With the current structure of the BCS, the good ol' boy system of traditional conference matchups should have nothing to do with who gets to play in the BCS Bowls...maybe once some of the old fogies who still hold onto their traditional ways die off, then we'll see a legit system for all of this. Until then they will sit in their luxury suites sipping Chardonnay and toasting to the great Pac 10/Big 10 battles of years past and gloating about how they're standing in the way of a playoff.

Look, the BCS exists SOLELY to put #1 vs #2 and then to fill the rest of the bowl games with matchups that the member bowls want. They aren't "free-for-all" bowl games. They still have conference tie-ins. I don't have any problem at all with the bowls fulfilling their conference tie-ins. The games are just exhibitions anyway, and really don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. In this case, the BCS took away the Rose Bowl's tie-in (Ohio State) and the Rose Bowl took the next team in the conference to which it was tied into.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Peter King had this to say about the BCS games and a playoff system. Some interesting things in here...

10. I think these are my non-NFL thoughts of the week:

a. The officiating crew in the Pittsburgh-West Virginia game robbed Pitt, and very nearly caused the wrong team to win the game. Absolutely robbed Pitt. That crew shouldn't sleep for a long, long time. The two fourth-quarter holding calls on Pitt were the biggest phantom calls I've seen in such a big spot in a long time.

b. Things worked out for the BCS. Ohio State-LSU is the game I want to see for the marbles.

c. Best BCS game of all: Hawaii and Georgia. Now we see what Colt Brennan's made of. What, you thought I was going to say USC and Ron Zook?

d. And unless you're going to scrap the bowl system, don't talk to me about a playoff for college football. I don't want one. It's silly to ask 19-year-old kids who, supposedly, are college students to have longer seasons than NFL players -- to start practice Aug. 1, playing 'til Jan. 15, and start spring practice on March 1. It's not NFL-like. It's a longer regimen than NFL teams have for their players.
Peter King's MMQB

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Kansas as deserving as Ohio State for title game!

I'm not saying the Kansas does or does not deserve to be in the BCS title game. It's all a bunch of BS to me. But they are as deserving as Ohio State. Let's compare schedule on team by team basis
Ohio State Kansas
Youngstown State Florida Int
Akron SE Louisanna
Washington Central Mich
Northwestern Baylor
Minnesota OK State
Purdue Nebraska
Kent State Toledo
Michigan State Iowa State
Penn State Kansas State
Wisc. Texas A and M
Illinios Mizzou
Michigan Colorado

Ohio State's only loss was to Illinios, a 9-3 team, but not top ten. KU's only loss was to Mizzou a 10-2 team, but ranked number one.
HOW DOES THIS SCHEDULE MAKE OHIO STATE ANY MORE DESERVING?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Re: Kansas as deserving as Ohio State for title game!

Because Ohio State started out the season ranked, silly!

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006

Please move to general college...I put it in the wrong forum. Thanks

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
As I have stated many times. I LOVE the bowl system. why? it rewards the kids playing the game. Would a playoff reward the kids? IMO NO, because under a playoff system the teams would not get the chance to be at a destination for a week and take in the local scene and the nice weather (all that is a reward). In a playoff it just makes each round like another week of the season.

Even though a playoff would give you one remaining team ontop, in my opinion it doesn't mean it was the best team. It was just the best team of the tournament. I like to see the NC based on the "body of work as a whole" (quote from Les Miles). For the most part this has happened from the bowl system, yes i know this year it may not but this year was an unusual year in college football.

The only thing I hate about the bowl system, is I can't wake up on Jan. 1 and watch bowls on NBC, ABC, CBS, and ESPN at every time slot, at the same time alll day long. Now they have them to spread out.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
d. And unless you're going to scrap the bowl system, don't talk to me about a playoff for college football. I don't want one. It's silly to ask 19-year-old kids who, supposedly, are college students to have longer seasons than NFL players -- to start practice Aug. 1, playing 'til Jan. 15, and start spring practice on March 1. It's not NFL-like. It's a longer regimen than NFL teams have for their players.

But it's ok to ask that of MBB players, who start practice in October and play until April? And he shouldn't overexaggerate about "spring practice" - IMO football players with their offseason workouts with the two weeks for team practice and game in the spring is not that dissimilar to offseason workouts that I'm pretty sure every other NCAA program has. This is about as much BS as college presidents saying they didn't want the playoff due to the impact on academics in one breath and then in the next breath approve the addition of a permanent 12th game on the schedule, and also keep pushing the BCS championship game further and further into January, much later than it would take to complete a playoff.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

A hole will rip in the space time continuum or something if a Little 11 team isn't in the top 5 at the end of the year.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

I'm not saying the Kansas does or does not deserve to be in the BCS title game. It's all a bunch of BS to me. But they are as deserving as Ohio State. Let's compare schedule on team by team basis
Ohio State Kansas
Youngstown State Florida Int
Akron SE Louisanna
Washington Central Mich
Northwestern Baylor
Minnesota OK State
Purdue Nebraska
Kent State Toledo
Michigan State Iowa State
Penn State Kansas State
Wisc. Texas A and M
Illinios Mizzou
Michigan Colorado

Ohio State's only loss was to Illinios, a 9-3 team, but not top ten. KU's only loss was to Mizzou a 10-2 team, but ranked number one.
HOW DOES THIS SCHEDULE MAKE OHIO STATE ANY MORE DESERVING?

Because, lest you forget, Ohio State plays in the Big Ten, who--if I'm not mistaken--are all direct descendants of Jesus Christ.

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines

Because the Big Televen is contractually obligated to have either Michigan or Ohio State in the NC game if they are ranked in the top 10 at the end of the season. That, coupled with the fact that KU placed all of their bribe money in the NCAA for basketball, means that OSU is more deserving.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
But it's ok to ask that of MBB players, who start practice in October and play until April? And he shouldn't overexaggerate about "spring practice" - IMO football players with their offseason workouts with the two weeks for team practice and game in the spring is not that dissimilar to offseason workouts that I'm pretty sure every other NCAA program has. This is about as much BS as college presidents saying they didn't want the playoff due to the impact on academics in one breath and then in the next breath approve the addition of a permanent 12th game on the schedule, and also keep pushing the BCS championship game further and further into January, much later than it would take to complete a playoff.

Spring practice at ISU is on Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat for a total of 15 practices (including the spring game) not a real big time commitment or distraction.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006

Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin, Penn State >>>> Texas A&M, Ok State, K-State, Colorado.

Those are the quality wins for both teams, which are pretty even but I'd say the edge goes to Ohio State for having slightly better wins. The point still stands and Ohio State being ranked so well early probably gives them the edge. Plus they have name recognition, which matters way too much IMO.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Spring practice at ISU is on Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat for a total of 15 practices (including the spring game) not a real big time commitment or distraction.

That was then. Now, the schedule may be the same now.

But judging from comments we heard all off-season...the spring/summer workouts were anything but a small or even moderate commitment.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So? Suck it up. Travel to the mainland. Even if it's just one big non-conference road game a year. You don't hear Kent State or UNI whining because ISU won't go there and they have to play two road games. You do what you have to do. Don't say "nobody will play us" when that's simply not true.

Why should teams such as Hawaii, Boise St, Utah, TCU, etc. - always have to be the ***** of the BCS teams? Because they're BCS teams and they shouldn't be required to travel? That's BS IMO. The same stupid thing happens in MBB - big schools refuse to play the little schools because there's nothing to gain and everything to lose. They then further go on to say that little school shouldn't be given the same opportunities that big school should get simply because little school didn't "play anybody." It screams hypocrisy and nobody will do anything about it because of the all-powerful dollar. Personally, I love the idea of one sports writer (I forget who it is and who he writes for) about cherry-picking Hawaii, Boise St, Fresno St, Nevada, (WAC schools) Utah, New Mexico, BYU, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, TCU, and UNLV (MWC schools), and merging them into a new BCS conference that the rest of the BCS schools will have to deal with. (Why do you think that the other 5 conferences want to de-certify the Big East's standing as a BCS conference so badly? They don't want to have to deal with them, either - more money for the big boys).

You're comparing WAC teams to Big 10 teams. Boise and Hawaii are decent in the WAC. Fresno is tolerable, but the REST of that conference is HORRIBLE. UNLV is 2-10 this year. 2 and freaking 10. If you're resting on the fact that you crushed a 2 win team at home as justification that your schedule is "ok", you've got a pretty weak argument.

That exact statement can be said of the Big 10 just by changing the names of the schools and changing one record:

Ohio St (Boise) and Michigan (Hawaii) are decent in the Big 10. Illinois (Fresno) is tolerable, but the REST of that conference is HORRIBLE. Minnesota is 1-11 this year. 1 and freaking 11. If you're resting on the fact that you crushed a 1 win team on the road as justification that your schedule is "ok", you've got a pretty weak argument.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
OK, let's put an 8 team playoff together. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the 6 BCS conferences get their champions in. This is probably pretty logical, since there is no way a playoff will happen without at LEAST that happening. That leaves 2 at-large bids. So far you have LSU, USC, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Ohio State. Now, how can you NOT put Hawaii in there as the only undefeated team? This means that Georgia, Arizona State, Missouri and Kansas are all fighting for one spot. I don't see any of their resumes being any more or less impressive than the other. How do you decide there? Someone deserving of that spot will get left out. Georgia could well be the hottest team in the nation, but won't have a chance to play for the national championship.

Everyone in favor of a playoff, including me, would say, "Hey, at least we're arguing over who is the 8th best team in the country and we aren't arguing over who the National Championship should be given to." Can't you "bowls should stay forever" people see that it's waaaay better to have an argument over the last team into a tournament bracket rather than debating who the 2 teams are that should somehow get to play for the championship?

As for the teams not getting to "enjoy and relax" during their week at a bowl game, here's the solution. You keep every single bowl game and still invite teams to all the bowls as well. The final 4 teams are decided in early December and then the 4 teams that lost out in the 1st/2nd rounds of the playoffs are eligible to go to bowl games as well. It's not that complicated is it?