NFL: Bears Fans- Who should they draft

rhlentz

Nov 27, 2006
Ames, IA
I think they should take Jeff Otah/Chris Williams, whoever is available, it won't matter who is running the ball behind a bad o-line
second round they should draft RB
I really think they should take dennis dixon in 3rd or 4th, i think he had vince young type of potential before he got hurt, he would have time to recover and learn the offense

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm a Vikings fan, but my brother lives and dies by the Bears, so we talk about this stuff a lot.
He thinks they shoud go after Mendenhall, just because he's a hometown guy with a ton of potential. Didn't become the starter until his senior year. Has a lot less wear and tear on him than a guy like Ray Rice or McFadden.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He thinks they shoud go after Mendenhall, just because he's a hometown guy with a ton of potential. Didn't become the starter until his senior year. Has a lot less wear and tear on him than a guy like Ray Rice or McFadden.

You may be right but it won't happen because they have poured so much into Bensen.

My guess is they will take the best available O-lineman...they really need help there.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What about a guy like Limas Sweed or Desean Jackson? I realize that it may be a little early to take either one of these guys, but the Bears are really thin at receiver. Marty Booker may have been a threat at one time, but those days are long gone.
As far as Benson is concerned, the question becomes about whether or not he is ever going to be the guy. This is his 4th year in the league, and pretty much make or break time. In 07 he showed none of the fire that he had in 06. Yes he was dogged by some injuries, but to date he just hasn't shown that he's a back that teams need to be afraid of. Maybe O-line is a big part of it, and so a lineman does make sense with their first pick. But, like you said, using their 2nd round pick on a RB is almost a must. Just in case Benson flops again. Maybe a guy like Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, or even Chris Johnson will be available.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They can get a RB late. I wouldn't mind seeing them give AP a real chance to be the featured back... Of course, I am a little biased in saying that...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Grossman was a pretty good prospect in the draft. At the time, I thought it was a fantastic pick. The guy just can't get his head right in the NFL.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Grossman was a pretty good prospect in the draft. At the time, I thought it was a fantastic pick. The guy just can't get his head right in the NFL.

I never thought so, but I could see how people could.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
i would love to get mendenhall (im a big beleiver in take the best guy first, needs later), but it may not be the wisest pick this year. we definately need to go after otah or clady, but i say if we dont get either then we go rb1 and ot2. wr should be 3, especially because angelo usually does ok with mid round wrs. look for them to get someone like early doucet, who's stock has fallen alot this offseason or dexter jackson from apple-state (im pulling for jordy nelson, gotta love the little white guys like stoakley and welker). usually i would look for angelo to trade down, because of the financial reprocussions of first round busts, but this year the bears have something like 12 picks, so we may actually get a first round pick this year.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
as far as qb this year, a late round pick could end up as a steal, with woodson projected 4th round, and both brennen and dixon projected 7th. woodson is probably not going to be very good imo, because he has some really bad habits and the bears QB coaches obviously are not going to fix those. dixon is fragile, or at least he looks like it at 6-3 195. brennen may be a product of the system, but as he said on rome is burning a few weeks ago "arent they all?" i think he has some real potential, and isnt going to be a big risk since he will go late and therefore get paid less, and those compensatory 7th round picks will help.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I think they should go after OL the first round and then maybe draft a guy like Ray Rice or Felix Jones in the second round. We need OL and plenty of it.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'm not a Bear fan and I don't work in an NFL personnel department. I am a life-long Green Bay Packer fan and I'm fast becoming a believer in the draft philosophy of Ted Thompson, which is something along the lines of:
1) Take the best player available, regardless of need;
2) Stockpile as many picks as possible;
3) You can never have too many versatile OL, DL and corners.

A good personnel guy can seemingly unearth a RB or WR from the depths of somebody else's roster (see Ryan Grant) or in the later rounds of the draft (see Marques Colston); drafting a top OL prospect in the early rounds can leave a team set at that position for a decade. I'll join the crowd who's projecting the Bears to take the best available OT...

P.S. I'm not at all certain the Bears have a top notch personnel guy, so they'll probably take Mendenhall... :)

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Best OL avail. at their pick. Needs a WR need to be addressed as well.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
All we need is an O-Lineman, actually a couple of them. I wouldn't worry about QB we are usually pretty solid there. I think I just vomited in my mouth a little after typing that. I would be nice to get another good receiver as well.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
OL first round...
I'd rather have Josh Johnson as a QB, bigger and more durable.

This guy looks skinny for his size. He might have been durabule playing at the level he did in college but he needs to add some weight or he's going end up like Grossman.

"Johnson has average size, even when he weighed in at 214lbs. He will need to get stronger to better handle the beating NFL QB’s take. He will also need some time to develop his overall skill. Despite working with Jim Harbaugh during his college career, he still needs some mechanical work and needs time adjusting to an NFL playbook. " (from a draft website)

He will be at least 3 years away from competing once he gets drafted.

Help Support Us

Become a patron