Beckham's new deal?!?!?

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
So in case you haven't heard. David Beckham just signed a 5 year/$250 million contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy. Now I understand Beckham is one of the biggest names in the sport, but $50 million per year just seems ridiculous. If you do the math, that is roughly $1 million a week. $1 MILLION...IN A WEEK!

Although the MLS will surely gain in popularity from bringing him over from Europe, do you think that it is worth the price tag on him? I don't believe that bringing one player, even Beckham, into the league will revive a suffering league and sport in the U.S. I would say the chances that it will jump start the MLS are about the same as the Spice Girls getting back together.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Where is the national media and their outrage?!?! When ARod signed that huge deal...people were all over him.

This guy will be making TWICE what ARod makes...playing soccer...which no one cares about.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
A-Rod's 252 was strictly his salary. Beckham's 250 includes endorsements. Still ridiculous, though.

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
What's soccer?

A couple years' back I was in a pub in Kinsale, Ireland and we were talking to a couple locals. They kept mentioning "Posh" and "Becks" and eventually I figured out Posh was a Spice Girl. But I had to ask who "Becks" was and they looked at me like I was from another planet.

As our trip wore on, I was watching Sky News. Every day the lead story on the frigging news was Posh and Becks.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
Every day the lead story on the frigging news was Posh and Becks.

That's because in England they are pretty much royalty. We've got too many freak shows of our own in the U.S. that take up all the media attention...Paris, Britney, etc. I don't foresee ever going into a bar in the U.S. and hearing about "Posh" and "Becks." At least, I hope to God I never do. :dull8ay:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A-Rod's 252 was strictly his salary. Beckham's 250 includes endorsements. Still ridiculous, though.

Yeah, you're right.

However, he is guaranteed those endorsement dollars so it's pretty much salary for him...it's just not all coming directly from the team.

Anyone know what he making making across the pond?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
There would be outrage and not rightfully so if this were any other sport. Nobody really gives a rip about Soccer in the U.S. Also if he can get it he deserves it.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I think he was making about $37 mill a year but only around $10 mill was coming from Real Madrid.

AEG has their hands in a little bit of everything so expect to see his face everywhere from now on. They're not paying him that much money just to run around and score goals.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
I think he was making about $37 mill a year but only around $10 mill was coming from Real Madrid.

AEG has their hands in a little bit of everything so expect to see his face everywhere from now on. They're not paying him that much money just to run around and score goals.

Actually he only made $6.7 million in salary from Real Madrid(Only! :baffled5wh: ) He made an additional $30 million in endorsements. Reguardless, it's a ridiculous amount of money for a player that has already reached his peak.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This seems like a last ditch effort to add legitimacy to a league that is struggling to find fans in the US. I think soccer is a wonderful sport, I just don't want to watch it.

Frankly, I think this move will be the deciding move either way if the league is going to stick around or die.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Why does the US not care about soccer when the rest of the world goes f'ing crazy for it?!

I think it's because we have the NFL which is far, far more entertaining.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
To say nobody cares about soccer in the US is simply ignorant. Soccer is the #1 sport in terms of youth participation in the US, the number one, more than any other sport. I don't care if you like soccer or not, that is your own choice, but to disregard it simply because you don't know anything about it is foolish.
MLS isn't struggling, they are consistently building soccer specific stadiums for their teams, they have expanded the league again this year with a team in Toronto and plan to expand in the near future. Adding a name like Beckham gives legitimacy to the league. He may be past his prime but don't be surprised to see a few more names come over soon.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That may be true soccercy, but most people don't care about soccer. No one really cares about the World Cup which is a freakin' huge deal everywhere else, obviously a lot of people do but in general no ones does.

No one watches MLS (see ratings).

Many people couldn't name 2 US soccer players.

You may not like it but that's the truth.

H

HGPuck

It sounds like he will be making about 9 million a year in salary for five years according to reports. I follow football pretty closely and its not that big of a deal, an overrated player coming to a league thats not that good. The MLS would have to get a half dozen other players of his caliber to raise the level of play. To be honest the MLS doesnt really play the same game as the rest of the world.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Why does the US not care about soccer when the rest of the world goes f'ing crazy for it?!

I think it's because we have the NFL which is far, far more entertaining.

IMO: Baseball. It is a tradition (a bad one, again IMO), has huge television contracts and plays during the same time of year.

Personally, I look forward to the demise of Baseball, the sooner the better.

- keep.

soulman

Jul 10, 2006
To say "MLS doesn't really play the same game as the rest of the world" shows a HUGE amount of ignorance on your part - having been to many MLS games, and following soccer both in the States and abroad, the isn't much of any difference. Yes, the skill level is currently higher overseas, but the game here in the states has drastically increased in level over the last 5 years.

It sounds like he will be making about 9 million a year in salary for five years according to reports. I follow football pretty closely and its not that big of a deal, an overrated player coming to a league thats not that good. The MLS would have to get a half dozen other players of his caliber to raise the level of play. To be honest the MLS doesnt really play the same game as the rest of the world.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
IMO: Baseball. It is a tradition (a bad one, again IMO), has huge television contracts and plays during the same time of year.

Personally, I look forward to the demise of Baseball, the sooner the better.

- keep.

How can you say baseball is a bad tradition? It's America's Pasttime! I know in recent years the sport has had a cloud cast around it, but you cannot say baseball is a bad tradition. I know it's your opinion too, but how can you look forward to a sport's demise that has been around so long and had such a big part in America's history?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Anyone wants to place bets on what folds first -- MLS or MLB?

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone wants to place bets on what folds first -- MLS or MLB?

Well the MLS would obviously fold first. I'm not at all against MLS either. I played soccer as a youth and enjoy it. I love the excitement(as little as it seems in the U.S.) during the World Cup. I don't wish ill will on either league. I hope they both will thrive.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron