Before next football season, PLEASE

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018
Get a designated traffic flow plan in place for the stadium and all related streets. AND get qualified people in place with appropriate training. Someone will get hit or worse otherwise.
AGREE!!!! Took us an hour and a half just to get out of Ames!! No rhyme or reason to traffic flow!! Ridiculous!! Will be some serious accidents/road rage incidents if they don’t get something figured out

• Agree
Reactions: Jdk

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Pretty sure someone in their retired ambulance turned on their lights to get out quicker.

I don't think it was a legit ambulance as they turned the lights off as soon as they got on the street, but I suppose it could have been.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was thinking this thread would be about finding an offensive line
I thought it was going to be about the crappy stadium music.

We just quit parking near stadium and park somewhere free on campus. Then head north or west even though we need to go south. That construction that puts 13th down to one lane by I-35 is our only glitch. I think the car/pedestrian battle hopefully will improve with CyTown

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Is the construction in the lots making traffic worse this year? Also, I didn't think the first few games were too bad. I think the night games were a disaster. For early games, a lot of people hang out for a while or tailgate after the game so there's not as big a rush. With these night games, every single person is trying to leave a the same time. Both the KU and Texas games were close pretty much to the end so not many people left early too.

No joke, after the KU game, the Kansas team buses left before we got out of the parking lot. Last night was a little faster, but not much. Didn't make it back to Des Moines until almost 1:00am. We've been in the same lot for 10+ years and the worst games BY FAR for getting out were this year's Kansas and Texas games.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I probably should qualified my response. I’m thinking specifically of Kansas City. When we were there for a game a few years ago, driving in and driving out were specifically directed. Much smoother even if I had to drive where I personally didn’t want to, because it was better overall for all.
A Chiefs game? It’s a Mad Max movie getting out of those lots

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
I walked to the Ag Leader parking lot after the game and made it home to Nevada easily before 11PM. I’m sure many in the S lots didn’t even get out of their stall by then. That’s an issue
Don’t tell people about this spot ;)

By far the most effective in and out strategy for game day

Reactions: RealisticCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It took me longer to get in line then get out. Everyone was flowing one direction but I could tell it was the slow way. I put my blinker on but struggled to get let through even though it was the opposite direction of the others. When I got out, I went by and saw it was still a disaster where I was. They could use about 4 more people on from the south side of Hilton and north.

People play frogged on Lincoln way and in the dark it is VERY dangerous. People need to stop just dodging traffic out the north entrance of b1/c1

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It took me longer to get in line then get out. Everyone was flowing one direction but I could tell it was the slow way. I put my blinker on but struggled to get let through even though it was the opposite direction of the others. When I got out, I went by and saw it was still a disaster where I was. They could use about 4 more people on from the south side of Hilton and north.

People play frogged on Lincoln way and in the dark it is VERY dangerous. People need to stop just dodging traffic out the north entrance of b1/c1

Ah..........big mistake.

While universally it's looked at as a lane change signal....here in Iowa it's considered a challenge. Especially from Ames to Ankeny.

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: 8bitnes and BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ah..........big mistake.

While universally it's looked at as a lane change signal....here in Iowa it's considered a challenge. Especially from Ames to Ankeny.
I figured in the parking lot I was trying to tell the line that I was going the opposite way of this line through the whole lot.

People a couple years ago would alternate and things would creep. Now no one will let anyone in and for some reason it’s a complete standstill. A lot of insanity in the lots. All season going north in lots 1/2 has been a disaster but everyone keeps doing it.

Reactions: Ankency

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I probably should qualified my response. I’m thinking specifically of Kansas City. When we were there for a game a few years ago, driving in and driving out were specifically directed. Much smoother even if I had to drive where I personally didn’t want to, because it was better overall for all.
The Chiefs have a lot fewer people directing traffic before games than a few years ago. They used to try and force people to park in order but I think they gave up because most early arrivers would ignore them and go to the spot they preferred. Getting out is organized chaos. People hopping curbs and zooming in and out of people. It's alot more spread out with more lanes which helps the flow.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Parking on campus and walking is so much better than having a parking pass.
All you miss is tailgating and even then, we could stop at some relatives’ tailgate if we wanted to.

In the warmer weather games, we found various beautiful nooks and crannies on campus to have a picnic. Had a view of the Jack Trice statue from our table by the Hub for the Trice 100 game.

Later games, we got food in Campustown on our way to the stadium.

So many quiet spots to enjoy what a stunning campus we have. Wish they would open up a few more of the campus food places on game days but probably hard to staff.

Reactions: wxman1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We went to 13th St exit. Big mistake. Channeled down to one lane right before the interstate exit. Really?? Parking lot the last mile to get on 35.
We went west on 13th all the way out to N. Dakota and then over to 30, flew right out and was on 30 in less than 5 minutes. Saw a lot of people turning east on 13th trying to get down to university and it was a parking lot.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We went west on 13th all the way out to N. Dakota and then over to 30, flew right out and was on 30 in less than 5 minutes. Saw a lot of people turning east on 13th trying to get down to university and its was a parking lot.

It's like people can't realize there are multiple ways out of Ames if you are willing to drive 5 blocks further one direction or another.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
It's like people can't realize there are multiple ways out of Ames if you are willing to drive 5 blocks further one direction or another.
Agreed. The problem is that the few parking attendants that exist want to direct virtually all traffic to 30/35. While this works for the majority of the traffic it also backs up everyone (never mind if you need to go north).

Spent almost an hour in line waiting to get out of the S lots.

During most games we would hang out, eat, and wait for the traffic to clear and have no issues.

The late season / late kick games really change the algebra as everyone is wanting to leave at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I was thinking this thread would be about finding an offensive line
That's what I thought was coming too

Valid point by the OP too. Too much freedom of choice for exiting the 1-mile radius around Jack Trice. A traffic flow plan would help immensely. In the interim, I usually plan a post game activity of an hour knowing full well it takes that long for things to clear out. Night games and losses would compound the frustration