Best BBQ Cities

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Roscoes is solid and I also used to like Woodyard a lot.

Woodyard is good. Always liked the feel and layout of the place and the Q was solid, though I haven't been in at least 5 years.

Worst places I've been are Gates (trash), Earl Quick's (thankfully closed), and Rosedale. Never understood why people would go to Rosedale when you have 2-3 infinitely better options (Danny's, Joes OG, Woodyard) close by. Place sucks.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Is Q39 in OP the old Hayward's?

Yup.

Ironically enough, a "new" Heyward's opened on 87th St in Lenexa (I believe). I had Heywards once and while it was okay, it wasn't something worth having (heard it was great before the owner handed it to one of his kids). My GFs sister got some Q for a gathering from the new Heywards and it was really good, much better than the Q39 location Heyward's I had. She said it was a different owner but he decided to keep the name (at least for now). If you like trying places I'd check it out, at least for comparisons sake.

• Informative
Reactions: Candide

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
10-15 years ago, no Omaha had barely anything. It has got better over the last 5-10 years.

That's not entirely true. North Omaha has had some serious entries. Skeet's was incredible. Went there all the time during softball tourney's in Omaha. Had heard Billy's BBQ @ Liquor use to be very good as well. Never tried that place. I heard Skeet's has closed however. That was some serious stuff, very good.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
That's not entirely true. North Omaha has had some serious entries. Skeet's was incredible. Went there all the time during softball tourney's in Omaha. Had heard Billy's BBQ @ Liquor use to be very good as well. Never tried that place. I heard Skeet's has closed however. That was some serious stuff, very good.
"Barely anything" doesn't mean zero. For the size of Omaha, the number of places was really lacking many years ago. There is probably double the number there were 10 years or more ago. Most of them are local shops.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No mention of anyplace in Memphis? Commissary, Central BBQ, Rendezvous (wet or dry) some of the best pork ribs I've had.

Reactions: TXCyclones

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
brooklyn

fette-sau-BBQ.jpg

That's just sad.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
"Barely anything" doesn't mean zero. For the size of Omaha, the number of places was really lacking many years ago. There is probably double the number there were 10 years or more ago. Most of them are local shops.
Living in Omaha and loving bbq, I think we have 3 maybe 4 good bbq places. It's a very unimpressive bbq town. Austin should be number 1 in my opinion and it's not close.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Jack Stack is far superior to anything in DSM...not sure why the hate. I've had great BBQ at the Freight House and Lee's Summit locations many times. I would personally pick Q39 but it would be close. Also, can't forget about Joe's at least for the experience.

Had Jack Stacks last summer. Brisket and ribs. Ehh. It was good, but Smokey D's was better IMO. The way people talk about Jack Stacks I figured I would have a damn near orgasmic experience eating it. Nope.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Living in Omaha and loving bbq, I think we have 3 maybe 4 good bbq places. It's a very unimpressive bbq town. Austin should be number 1 in my opinion and it's not close.

KC and Texas BBQ blow everyone else away in my opinion. I've ate at 3 or 4 places in Austin and have yet to have a bad experience (I'm generally really good at picking my restaurants). Metcalf BBQ's location at Stagger Lee (Rainey St) had the best brisket I've ever had in my life. The ordering and wait were a complete clusterfuck, but the food was amazing.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Had Jack Stacks last summer. Brisket and ribs. Ehh. It was good, but Smokey D's was better IMO. The way people talk about Jack Stacks I figured I would have a damn near orgasmic experience eating it. Nope.

Anyone who says Jack Stack, Gates, or Bryant's are the best joints shouldn't even be listened to. Jack Stack is like a BBQ place for yuppies but without the bbq of Q39 to justify it's status. It's not bad, just outrageously overpriced for what you actually receive. I also like feeling like I'm at a BBQ joint instead of some nice, sit-down restaurant. That's not BBQ.

Reactions: StevieISU23