Help: Best browser for CF

Stanton327

Mar 19, 2015
Anyone have a recommendation for the best browser to use with CF? Running HP laptop with Windows 8 and IE 11. Can't seem to access any thread more than once before I get a "page cannot be displayed" error.

HP tech support has tried 3 times to help, without much success. They suggested trying Chrome, but I cannot access the site at all using that. I'm not exactly a tech dummy, but after 3 webex session with HP and no resolution, I'm not sure where to go from here?

Thanks!!

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Anyone have a recommendation for the best browser to use with CF? Running HP laptop with Windows 8 and IE 11. Can't seem to access any thread more than once before I get a "page cannot be displayed" error.

HP tech support has tried 3 times to help, without much success. They suggested trying Chrome, but I cannot access the site at all using that. I'm not exactly a tech dummy, but after 3 webex session with HP and no resolution, I'm not sure where to go from here?

Thanks!!

I have no problems with Firefox.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I do fine with Chrome. Are you using the desktop Web program, or the Start Menu version?

The Start Menu IE could be wonky.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Thanks!!

Dude! You got a Dell! Now go get a Macbook and feel the freedom of the interwebz.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Never had an issue with Firefox. I don't think you're having a browser issue as that makes little sense. I would do a scan of your computer with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti-malware program that is probably already installed on your computer. It can be found in your taskbar icons as a green button with a flag sticking out and a check mark inside it. Open it up, do a full scan of your computer and remove anything it finds. Restart your computer and try CF again.

Skipple

Jul 6, 2010
Sounds like you have some computer configuration issues or network problems. Is it only CF? If so I'd guess you have some anti virus or other random protection software that doesn't like CF's ad providers.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
8.1 metro/start menu IE sucks sucks sucks,(and this is coming from a guy who likes windows 8) go to desktop and use desktop IE it will work.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
8.1 metro/start menu IE sucks sucks sucks,(and this is coming from a guy who likes windows 8) go to desktop and use desktop IE it will work.

I had no idea there are two version of IE on Win8. That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Even for M$

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I use IE11 on Win7 at work and Win8 at home and a few times a day I get page crashes on CF on either machine, especially if I am typing in a quick reply window at the time. Annoying but I live with it, sometimes I think it's a blessing because maybe it means I should re-think what I was about to post :biggrin:

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis

Wait, there are two versions of IE in Windows 8? As a part time Windows 8 user, I've always used the IE from the desktop. Had no idea there are two versions.

OP, if true, follow this advice.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Yah pretty stupid, metro version is made for touch screen. In upcoming windows 10 IE is gone and being replaced with a more chrome like browser

Other thing to do for OP is get Windows 10 when it comes out since it will be free for him, and they are finally ditching IE. But in the meantime...

Stanton327

Mar 19, 2015
I use IE11 on Win7 at work and Win8 at home and a few times a day I get page crashes on CF on either machine, especially if I am typing in a quick reply window at the time. Annoying but I live with it, sometimes I think it's a blessing because maybe it means I should re-think what I was about to post :biggrin:

LOL!!! I usually type something, get the page cannot be displayed error, then always have to re-think my post.

Thanks to all. I will continue with your suggested remedies. Was on CR for years; never really liked it, but this site brings out my edgy sense of humor :goofy: