WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
My bar years were 2012-2014

Taco Tuesdays at Es Tas
Wednesday pint night at WAS
Thursday mug night, probably some combination of Paddy's, Cy's, Mickey's
The best FAC deals were at WAS and Mother's
Friday and Saturday nights, hopping between old AJ's (on Lincoln), Yoke's, Sips

One night I kissed a hottie on the Sips dance floor...we just celebrated 10 years together

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We use it call in the "Cave-O, Disc-O, Dive-O" for the Cave-Inn in mid to late 80's.
Lost and Found Lounge above Cy's was pretty quiet bar. We used to get Pizza Pit and go up there and drink and eat "za".
The Cave used to have "Any coin, Any drinK' nights if I recall correctly. I think you paid a cover and then you could buy any well drink for just one coin. I didn't go the the Cave a lot, but I recall this being a very dangerous promotion.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Cave used to have "Any coin, Any drinK' nights if I recall correctly. I think you paid a cover and then you could buy any well drink for just one coin. I didn't go the the Cave a lot, but I recall this being a very dangerous promotion.
I never paid a cover at the coliseum for their any silver/any drink, but maybe the difference between a penny and nickel were enough. I remember ordering bloody mary's just to get the pickle because we wanted a snack.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Paddy's was our go to, mainly because we knew the manager and he'd give us discounts. Es Tas on Wednesday nights for $5 burger baskets, $1.50 wells and winning some money playing pool.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I seem to recall there was a strip club south of Ames near Huxley in the late 80s. Anyone remember that?
Big Jim’s, right on highway 69, south side of Huxley. Went there for the first time when I was in high school. Peak testosterone days. Skank strippers. Good times!

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76 and cytor

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
'06-'08 were my bar years, and where I hung out kind of changed over that time as people graduated, moved in, etc.

In '06 and '07 People's and Lumpy's were we spent most of our time. There was always live music on the weekends. FAC was usually at Mickey's - I think they had the best deal. Sometimes we'd go to Sip's and Paddy's on Thursdays. Chaser's was a regular stop too (basement of AJ's now).

In summer of '07 I moved to Hyland & Lincoln Way, and we started going to Thumb's a bunch. People's had closed by then, and I was boycotting whatever the hell they put in there after it. Es Tas became a regular hang out too, as most of the employees were part of our party circle. Sgt Pepper's opened then and we always liked that for FAC because it had better music. This is also around the time Outlaw's started and I had some buddies who were real into that scene so I ended up there frequently too.

It's funny, because today WAS is my absolute favorite Campustown bar, and I only went there occasionally when I actually lived in Ames.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I seem to recall there was a strip club south of Ames near Huxley in the late 80s. Anyone remember that?
I DD'ed one night from Ames to The Lumberyard before I was 21, waited in the parking lot til 6AM with a few other buddies passed out an hour after it closed for a former FB player not to be named who was banging a stripper in one of the private rooms. This was 2010 or 2011.

Reactions: 83cy and Remo Gaggi

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I thought that promotion was on Thursday nights and there wasn't a cover charge. However the bar was so packed it was almost impossible to get a drink at times. That would have been in 1990 time frame.

Reactions: bozclone

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
92-96. I worked at the Butch's Amoco at Lincoln Way and Duff and lived in a house close by. I hung out with an older crowd and we went to the Fox all the time. I remember $1.75 Bud longnecks and I would tip the $.25. Karaoke nights were the most fun. There was a strip club across Duff

Had my first Guinness at Cy's an thought it was the worst beer on the planet. My how times have changed

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I thought that promotion was on Thursday nights and there wasn't a cover charge. However the bar was so packed it was almost impossible to get a drink at times. That would have been in 1990 time frame.
If I recall correctly, it was Thursday nights and it was $3 cover. It's really scary that I would run out of pennies and have to start using nickels.

Reactions: bozclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
anybody remember Gilligan's bar. It was behind Cy's in that strange building that also had a hair cut place and perhaps a fish store?

They served $3 pitchers of Little Kings Creme Ale....horrible coming back up ( and going down:)
Yes. Then it became City Lights for a short period.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Was "Drinkin' with Lincoln" at an Ames bar?

$5 at the door for all the beer you can handle?

I kind of remember that in Ames, but Iowa City could be the place.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I've skipped a few pages, so not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but in the late '90s we would go to The Zone on Friday nights for penny pitchers. It was above the Corner Pocket. The most memorable moment from that place was the night Hoiberg and Loren Meyer showed up and bought a round for the bar. It was a fun place.