Best mosquito/gnat repellent or killer for full yard?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Mosquitoes are out in full ******* force in south MPLS this week. Need suggestions for best yard bombs or foggers/sprays. Please and thanks.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Haven’t had much of a mosquito problem this spring yet but we really need rain.

My issue is ticks. I do believe nukes are appropriate.

I am pretty sure they hitch a ride on the dog who is on the tick med that only kills them if they latch on. He is black and they are hard to see. I do a tick check when we come back from our walks and I don’t have any. Then for the rest of the day, I am removing ticks from me. Have had as many as eight ticks from a 2-3 hour walk.

They seem indestructible unless you flush them. I noticed one on him at the park, grabbed it, and tried stomping on it repeatedly and it would not die. Found a stick and kind of ground it to death.

Mostly wood ticks but I did find a dead deer tick on him so at least the expensive meds worked for that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dahliaclone

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I spray talstar around my house and in our backyard. It does a good job of keeping the mosquitoes at bay and works on ticks as well

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I am pretty sure they hitch a ride on the dog who is on the tick med that only kills them if they latch on. He is black and they are hard to see. I do a tick check when we come back from our walks and I don’t have any. Then for the rest of the day, I am removing ticks from me. Have had as many as eight ticks from a 2-3 hour walk.

They seem indestructible unless you flush them. I noticed one on him at the park, grabbed it, and tried stomping on it repeatedly and it would not die. Found a stick and kind of ground it to death.

Mostly wood ticks but I did find a dead deer tick on him so at least the expensive meds worked for that.
Maybe you need to take your dogs meds????

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You have no idea how many times I have asked my husband why they don’t make a tick medicine for people. Not as worried about fleas and heartworm but maybe I should be.
Ever tried the deep woods type stuff for ticks? I got a tick early this year and the area I think I got it was kind of a surprise. I bought some and am hoping that that stuff works because I have to venture into tall grass in places like ditches and such to trim back trees and bushes at times. Maybe wait until a longer dry spell.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Ever tried the deep woods type stuff for ticks? I got a tick early this year and the area I think I got it was kind of a surprise. I bought some and am hoping that that stuff works because I have to venture into tall grass in places like ditches and such to trim back trees and bushes at times. Maybe wait until a longer dry spell.
Spray your clothing with permethrin, one brand name commonly available is Repel. DON'T spray it on you. It's kind of expensive, best to change clothing so the sprayed articles can be worn several times before washing. Deet products don't work well at all in my experience, unfortunately have a property with a healthy tick population.

There is a clothing line that has a tick repellant incorporated into it, that works reasonably well.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017

Need good fingernails to kill them. One hand to hold the miserable things, other to twist their little heads off. I agree, it's almost impossible to smash them, right behind the head on a hard surface may.

Don't know which one, but one of the prescriptions that I take seems to kill any that attach. Pharmaceutical could probably make a fortune off that side use

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math