Best Music-Which Decade?

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
The greatest rock song thread got me thinking, what is everyone's favorite decade as far as their favorite music goes? Personally, I love the 90s tunes.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I like this decades music

Even though i might be the only one to pick it

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Can this be anything other than the 60s? Some of the best rock around, Motown, etc? I'm not really a huge fan of the 60s music personally but it really shaped our music in this country.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
80s music is just so complicated. Personally, I am a HUGE 80s metal/arena metal/hair metal fan, but even a lot of that sucks. I realize that most 80s music is juvenile and too often about perverted sex backstage at rock concerts, but I still appreciate it.

For those of you who are Chuck Klosterman fans, I would recommend that you read "Fargo Rock City". I absolutely love that book and it deepened my knowledge and appreciation for 80s rock.

Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm gonna say that the 60's, 70's, 90's and 00's are all about equal. The 80's are weaker, but there is still plenty of good stuff to be found. My problem w/the 80's is that the decade is full of good music buried under god awful production. From a production standpoint, the other decades have a lot of commonality, and the 80's were a big aberration. My favorite albums by decade:

60's: Rolling Stones, "Let it Bleed"
70's: Rolling Stones, "Sticky Fingers"
80's: Guns 'N Roses, "Appetite for Destruction"
90's: Pearl Jam, "Vs."
00's: (tie) Raconteurs, "Consoler of the Lonely"/Drive-By Truckers, "Decoration Day"

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Can this be anything other than the 60s? Some of the best rock around, Motown, etc? I'm not really a huge fan of the 60s music personally but it really shaped our music in this country.

Hands down it is the 60's. Practically every genre of music came from or exploded coming out of the 50's. Rhythm and blues, rockabilly, rock and roll (guitar), folk, flower power, acid, heavy metal beginnings, Motown, doo wop, and your ever present pop. There were also significant contributions to blues and jazz.

The 60's were king.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hands down it is the 60's. Practically every genre of music came from or exploded coming out of the 50's. Rhythm and blues, rockabilly, rock and roll (guitar), folk, flower power, acid, heavy metal beginnings, Motown, doo wop, and your ever present pop. There were also significant contributions to blues and jazz.

The 60's were king.

The 60's had it easy though. Nothing had been done. The doors were wide open. Now a days in rock, it's really, REALLY difficult to make music that doesn't in some way get compared to something that came before it. In the 60's that wasn't an issue. That's why I have a TON of respect for artists that can still put an original spin on the music they write...

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
The 60's had it easy though. Nothing had been done. The doors were wide open. Now a days in rock, it's really, REALLY difficult to make music that doesn't in some way get compared to something that came before it. In the 60's that wasn't an issue. That's why I have a TON of respect for artists that can still put an original spin on the music they write...

I totally agree with this point. Music is so saturated these days that it's increasingly tough to create something new and unique. I often wonder what songs and what bands are going to be considered "classics" 30-40 years from now. I'm just praying that my kids and grandkids never refer to anything by Hinder or Nickleback as a "classic".

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I totally agree with this point. Music is so saturated these days that it's increasingly tough to create something new and unique. I often wonder what songs and what bands are going to be considered "classics" 30-40 years from now. I'm just praying that my kids and grandkids never refer to anything by Hinder or Nickleback as a "classic".

My brother and I often discuss this point. Here are some names we agree on:

Pearl Jam
RHCP
Dave Matthews Band
Phish
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
White Stripes/Raconteurs/Anything Jack White touches
Alice In Chains
Green Day
Wilco

I think people will look back on bands like Hinder and Nickleback the same way they look back at the Monkees now...

Last edited:

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
The 70s hands down. Two of the few good things that came out of the 80s were Appetite for Destruction and Back In Black. 90s were pretty good.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
My brother and I often discuss this point. Here are some names we agree on:

Pearl Jam
RHCP
Dave Matthews Band
Phish
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
White Stripes/Raconteurs/Anything Jack White touches
Alice In Chains
Green Day
Wilco

I think people will look back on bands like Hinder and Nickleback the same way they look back at the Monkees now...

That's a pretty good list. Unfortunately, I really feel that Lil Jon's historical significance is going to be greater than some of those bands. MOTHER OF GOD!

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI

Everything coming out of the 60's was compared (by the establishment) to what went before it -- and not favorably at that. Remember this was when payola was legal so getting something new out to the market was really tough. Production values were limited because the typical speakers were extremely poor and stereo was just coming in.

I, too, have to respect artists that put an original spin on music they write and/or perform. The thing I think was most important was delivering a product that spoke to the listener. With the shattering of many social mores, the 60's did have a more diverse environment. Admittedly that did give the artists more opportunities. I think they responded admirably.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's a pretty good list. Unfortunately, I really feel that Lil Jon's historical significance is going to be greater than some of those bands. MOTHER OF GOD!

Even though Lil Jon is more popular than many of the bands I mentioned, I wouldn't worry about history looking back on it kindly. As Wayne Campbell said, "Led Zeppelin didn't write songs everybody liked. The left that for the BeeGees." Only people who were alive when the BeeGees were popular like the BeeGees. There are 15 year old kids today who worship Zeppelin.

Help Support Us

Become a patron