Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Raisin' Cane's

Votes: 72 77.4%
  • Slim Chickens

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I probably haven't had Zaxby's in about 5 years but it seemed pretty good though the menu wasn't exactly chicken strips through the drive-through window.

Maybe it's changed.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If you are looking for a Korean Fried Chicken fix, go to Harbinger on Ingersoll on Sundays. You can get a good-sized meal for 2 for $25 and the chicken is delicious.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Personally I can't take seriously anyone who thinks Cane's is the best. The chicken is so underseasoned. All of the flavor is meant to come from the sauce. It's just chicken, bread crumbs, and salt, fried. Where are the spices???

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Canes would easily win, but would it kill them to season their chicken? It's so bland. Brine it or soak it in seasoned buttermilk or add seasoning to the dredge, or something, because even though it's cooked very well, the meat is just bland.

Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. But it's just so easily remedied that I have to imagine that the owners of the company are doing it on purpose. Maybe they all injured their tongues in a nasty, cheese grating accident some time back, and now they require their food to be super bland.

It's so close to being fantastic.

I didn't see this before I posted but I could not agree more with it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Personally I can't take seriously anyone who thinks Cane's is the best. The chicken is so underseasoned. All of the flavor is meant to come from the sauce. It's just chicken, bread crumbs, and salt, fried. Where are the spices???
Simple and fresh. I agree if you don't like Cane's sauce then you would probably love PDQ. Pieces of rosemary and thyme visible in the breading. Different sauces all home made.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Agree. I am so confused by everyone loving Canes. It just seemed like average chicken strips. The sauce is good. However, I would go to a lot of other places before going to Canes. I actually think Hardees has better chicken strips than Canes.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Not a restaurant and not a chain, but the best fried chicken I know of is available at the deli of J's a small-town grocery store in Memphis, Missouri.
It's not there anymore but J&J 25 miles east of there in Kahoka had the best fried chicken and potato wedges known to mankind. I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We love Cane's in our house. But we love the sauce.

Charlotte's is probably better, though I never get sandwiches at Cane's. Their Buffalo or the Nashville hot is amazing.

Chik-Fil-A is good, but down a notch from the others for me.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Love me some Cane's, hard to beat. They made some smart business plans. Super simple menu, do it good, do it fast.

But hear me out. If you are ever in north central Iowa, in the town of Lake Mills. Stop in Don's Motor Mart, and grab yourself some Charlie Biggs chicken. They make chicken by the piece and chicken tenders. Both good but the tenders are amazing. Charlie Biggs is a franchise, so I know you can get it other places, I have never seen it anywhere else though, and I don't know if anywhere makes it as good as Don's. For a gas station that place has some seriously good chicken. Haven't been there for a few years though.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Of the places on this list I've only been to Slim Chickens a couple of times because it's close to where I live. The lines for that place are still ridiculously long. I've only eaten from their when I was able to get an online order. It's ok for fast food chicken, but not worth waiting more than 5 minutes for. Wouldn't be near my top 10 places to eat, even if you limit that list to fast food.

My favorite fast food chicken is still Long John Silvers chicken planks. Of course that's nothing to do with the chicken and everything to do with the batter and dipping it in malt vinegar.
this

Reactions: Icky_Mettle