Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forget.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Re: Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forge

I just wanted to start a thread to thank the man for some very exciting times during his tenure. He brought Cyclone basketball back from the doldrums and turned us into a regional power and Big 12 contender. He showed class at all times and was a great Cyclone in every way. I'm very sad to see him go, honestly miss having him as our head coach even as I'm typing this, but I hope he takes Chicago to more NBA titles and success. Even as their coach, he is a representative of the Cyclone Nation and he will ever remain our Mayor. None of us should blame a man for following his dream, and Fred has had the good fortune and tremendous work ethic to follow TWO of his dreams...much to the benefit of Cyclone and Bulls fan.

The Iowa State Mens basketball program will move forward to bigger and better things, and it will remain Fred who was the man to launch us to that level. The next coach will take up where Fred left off, and we will continue to rival Kansas for the Big 12 crown year in and out. In fact, we will take that crown off their head next season and shove it up their tailpipe....but I digress. Good luck to you Fred, and the best wishes of all good Cyclone fans go with you. Hoiball!

Right on point. Thanks Fred for your tenure. You made ISU basketball relevant again on a national scale. I have total admiration for you pursuing your dream and of course banking some major additional income for your family and their financial security. Also, I really respect someone with extremely high career goals. You certainly have the talent to fulfill those goals.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Re: Best of luck to Coach Hoiberg and thanks for 5 exciting seasons we'll never forge

@ShowTime_McKay: It was a honor playing for you @ISUMayor32 now it's time to take the winning culture u built here and take it to whole other level next year

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Monte and McKay would make really ****** CF posters what with all this wishing him well and whatnot.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

Monte and McKay would make really ****** CF posters what with all this wishing him well and whatnot.
No doubt. Don't they know that you should hate and vilify someone who has done more for ISU than any if us ever will? Hoiberg used us as his stepping stone to the nba, just like he did as a player, and it is the best thing to happen to ISU basketball for a long time. We can be disappointed it didn't last longer, but he left us with more than he ever had himself. His goal was to be an NBA coach, and an NBA team just offered to double his salary. I understand frustration and disappointment, but seriously.... 5 million... Per year... To achieve your goal. Way to go Coach.

corkyclone

May 29, 2015

I hope Fred gets invited to go bowling with his friends, but is running late so his friends start without him, but let him know that he's "free to join those dudes we just met in the next lane."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Nobody considers this....but Fred wasn't perfect as coach...so what happens if the next coach is BETTER than he was? That is also a possible outcome, and its a very possible one IMHO. There is opportunity here to really launch the program to the next level.

I can agree with this...FH was fantastic at maximizing what he had overall, and doing more with less when you looked at the talent of other teams around the country.

That being said, maybe I can look forward to cutting trends like bad starts, questionable time-out scenarios, and...well, let's just say if the team's goal was to have a lot of possessions, that certainly happened in one way or another.

Good luck to him and I can only assume he knows that there's something good in what he's getting into.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011

I can agree with this...FH was fantastic at maximizing what he had overall, and doing more with less when you looked at the talent of other teams around the country.

That being said, maybe I can look forward to cutting trends like bad starts, questionable time-out scenarios, and...well, let's just say if the team's goal was to have a lot of possessions, that certainly happened in one way or another.

Good luck to him and I can only assume he knows that there's something good in what he's getting into.

He has 25 million of good if survives 5 years.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

Good luck to Fred. We are stocked for one good season and then 7 open scholarships. Not really a great way to leave a program. Hopefully a top notch coach is landed that can recruit and dig ISU out of the future hole.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Thanks for turning ISU bball around and instilling a winning culture again. IMO you were the best to ever coach here (so far), and will be tough/nearly impossible to replace. Having said that I think/hope the bball program can continue to be succesful with the right hire (although may take a little dip after next season).

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

sure was fun to watch the past few years. Wish he could stay but hope he has the best of luck. Never know what can happen in life and you don't want to regret passing up opportunities of a lifetime.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Dear Fred. You just destroyed Cyclone Nation. But thanks for the memories.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

Dear Fred. You just destroyed Cyclone Nation. But thanks for the memories.
tumblr_myz6vyplhI1rfrcuqo1_250.gif

Im4State

Oct 16, 2009
Urbandale

Regardless of my disappointment with him leaving ISU and the fear of the unknown. I want to say THANK YOU for bringing back the Magic. You and your staff brought in awesome players that love the school the way I do. They fight and win. For all the excitement you've brought back to Hilton and the program.... thank you.