Best place to get a beer pre-game?

razorbackinkc

Aug 21, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Is there a sports bar within walking distance of campus/Hilton Colliseum that would be good for dinner and a beer or three?

Also, we are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ames. That's not the same thing as the arena is it? (Kidding). What's the best way to get to the game from the hotel? Cab? Drive and park? Do you have uber in Ames?

Thanks!

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Buddy and I are going to Welch AVe Station before the game for some food and beer.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
West Towne Pub is a decent sports bar near your hotel. Like a block away. The food is your typical American fare, it's not bad.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Driving to your hotel would be fine. They have lots of parking over there. As for a beer, Whisky River is a decent option not far from Hilton.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for all of the suggestions (except dangerous curves). Are any of those places walkable to Hilton Colleseum?

Yeah go to Welch Ave Station. Closest to Hilton. Fun place to go and chill before a game. The crowd is a mix of college age/older. There is a pizza joint upstairs and you can order your food downstairs at the bar, and they'll bring it down to you. here is the menu: http://www.welchavestation.com/images/pizzapitmenu2012.pdf

Here is google maps, it shows both the bar and Hilton

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x79894277f934d163?hl=en-US

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Might be a 10 minute walk or maybe 15. If you're not hammered you can drive and park in the Hilton parking lot.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Es Tas is also a good place to go pregame. It is a mix of college age and older as well.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Your best bet is going to be to drive to the game from most places. It is going to be pretty darn nice weather wise today/tonight so walking is an option there just isn't much within about a mile from the stadium. We hit up Tip Top on Saturday before the football game and had a great time. It gets packed and there's very limited seating so you'll end up standing to eat your chili. I'd go to a place like Welch Ave Station if you want to do beer and food at the same time otherwise hit up Hickory Park early then go booze at Tip Top. Plenty of parking around Hilton and all ya need is one semi sober driver and you'll be fine.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Head to the game fairly early. Traffic a half hour before tip might be bad. 8 pm game might help though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Go to either Campustown or Downtown and use the Cy-Ride to get to Hilton. The Red route runs along Lincoln Way, connecting the two districts and stopping at Hilton.

In Campustown I would suggest Welch Ave Station or Es Tas. Both are sports bars that have good beer selection and delicious food.

Downtown, I'd suggest Whiskey River, DG's Taphouse or Olde Main.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Yeah we will have a DD. I would be looking at 2-3 beers over a couple of hours. I'm not 20 years old any more. I'd kill myself if I was getting hammered on Thursday afternoon. Haha

Sally.

Just kidding, have fun tonight! I miss Ames like crazy, jealous you get to go there. Echo others saying Welch Ave/Es Tas. Es Tas has better food, Welch Ave probably has better beer.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sally.

Just kidding, have fun tonight! I miss Ames like crazy, jealous you get to go there. Echo others saying Welch Ave/Es Tas. Es Tas has better food, Welch Ave probably has better beer.

Es Tas has a very fine beer selection. I would go with Es Tas. Grab a pink taco.