Better Call Saul

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Not sure how I feel about it just yet. It doesn’t strike me as an instantly satisfying finale like BrBa was. But I think I will get there eventually.

Maybe I wanted more Jimmy and Kim, or a cleaner end to their story. But that’s life. Sometimes you have messy endings and then you reconnect and it’s just… a moment. Not anything special.

I expected the episode to change to color in the present day timeline at some point and it never did. That splash of color we got in the eyeglass reflection last week when he saw the Better Call Saul commercial on the laptop was it.

I definitely think it was good and well done. I’m also kinda sad that the BrBa universe is now closed forever.
Not sure how anything can beat BBs ending. Every character got what they deserved. Granted Saul and Kim seemingly got what they deserved here along with Marie.

Saul got his shining moment playing the defense down to 7 years and got his guilty conscious cleared. I'll take it.

Reactions: mj4cy

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think they ended the cartel storyline a couple shows too early. Once that stopped the show petered out down the stretch. Course the cartel aspect was always my favorite part in both Breaking Bad & Saul.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
They ran out of episode time because they did a throw away episode so late (the department store heist) so they had to rush the ending :jimlad:

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Lastly, when Kim looked out the interview room to see if the guards were watching, I thought for a minute she was going to reward Jimmy for essentially exonerating her. haha

• Winner
Reactions: bstegs

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Great show. Minor criticism is that they may have gotten a little too "artsy" in the last season.

I would have liked to see an ending where Saul gets released from a long prison sentence and spends his olden years in a Sandpiper Crossing nursing home with Kim.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
So did Jimmy's confession help Kim with her liability in the whole thing?
From Co-Creator Peter Gould:

To your mind, do you think what Saul does in the hearing will get Kim out of legal trouble with Cheryl?
No, I don’t. I think that Kim is on her own journey, and I think he knows that. He does feel bad about what’s happening with Cheryl. But I don’t think Kim would like it if Jimmy pulled some maneuver that protected her from Cheryl. He doesn’t save her; she saves her. They’re done with saving each other by this time. What he sees is that she had the courage to face what she’s done. And she did something that I don’t think Jimmy/Gene ever thought she would do, which is not only to turn herself in, but actually to sit across from Cheryl Hamlin, who they both lied to disgustingly, and be 100 percent truthful.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
From Co-Creator Peter Gould:

To your mind, do you think what Saul does in the hearing will get Kim out of legal trouble with Cheryl?
No, I don’t. I think that Kim is on her own journey, and I think he knows that. He does feel bad about what’s happening with Cheryl. But I don’t think Kim would like it if Jimmy pulled some maneuver that protected her from Cheryl. He doesn’t save her; she saves her. They’re done with saving each other by this time. What he sees is that she had the courage to face what she’s done. And she did something that I don’t think Jimmy/Gene ever thought she would do, which is not only to turn herself in, but actually to sit across from Cheryl Hamlin, who they both lied to disgustingly, and be 100 percent truthful.
I like that even better.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
The end of the best two tv series in my life ended with a dud. I’m gonna miss it. Need to find a new show.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Jimmy has a friend. He didn’t before, but does now, no matter the price. Nice ending.

Reactions: mj4cy

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
A nice little touch that only the second time we see color in the Gene timeline is the orange from the cigarette lightly glowing as Jimmy and Kim share one last burner.

The episode seemed a little lackluster on first glance but there are so many little details like that sprinkled in that I really enjoyed it. Jimmy making all the lawyers in the room look bad in front of the judge as his last win, the call back to Chuck which is the day before the first scene with Jimmy and Chuck in the series (key in on the financial times discussion), the book Chuck is reading, etc.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
A nice little touch that only the second time we see color in the Gene timeline is the orange from the cigarette lightly glowing as Jimmy and Kim share one last burner.

The episode seemed a little lackluster on first glance but there are so many little details like that sprinkled in that I really enjoyed it. Jimmy making all the lawyers in the room look bad in front of the judge as his last win, the call back to Chuck which is the day before the first scene with Jimmy and Chuck in the series (key in on the financial times discussion), the book Chuck is reading, etc.
I’m guessing the time machine book was foreshadowing that Chuck also has regrets on the path of life he chose? Especially since he had just mentioned to Jimmy you can always change course if you don’t like where you are going. I know one of the first scenes was Walter and Saul talking about a time machine and taking different paths in their respective lives.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUKyro

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Different paths and regret. Really what the ending came down to.
Now that Jimmy can express and actually have regret, all his other personalities are dead.

By him taking that sentence down to 7 years, he proved he is as good of a lawyer as there is, yet when it was time to process regret, he knew he also had to honor the law the way his brother would want.

Powerful episode on emotions.

No real shocker at the end, no crazy spin. Just arguably the best story telling in a series coming to an end.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I thought about this all night and while I think I wanted to see more "pizzazz", I think the show did the story justice. It didn't treat the audience like idiots.

Had Saul gotten away and laughed the whole thing off, it would have cheapened many storylines and struggles of the other characters. On the other end, Saul was too likeable with just enough charm for him to be killed off.

He got to prove he still has his lawyer chops but also did right by Chuck and by Kim. We also got a sense he's going to get along just fine in prison and I'd assume he'll get out early on good behavior some day (maybe lol). I know they said no more spinoffs but you could easily make a show about his time in prison.

Was surprised we didn't see as much on the cartel side of things but I suppose the story is about Saul and starts/ends there.

The show as a whole had just phenomenal storytelling. The whole saga with Chuck self diagnosed to be suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity yet being one of the best legal minds around....its just so original and opens up avenues for Jimmy to exploit.

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I thought about this all night and while I think I wanted to see more "pizzazz", I think the show did the story justice. It didn't treat the audience like idiots.

Had Saul gotten away and laughed the whole thing off, it would have cheapened many storylines and struggles of the other characters. On the other end, Saul was too likeable with just enough charm for him to be killed off.

He got to prove he still has his lawyer chops but also did right by Chuck and by Kim. We also got a sense he's going to get along just fine in prison and I'd assume he'll get out early on good behavior some day (maybe lol). I know they said no more spinoffs but you could easily make a show about his time in prison.

Was surprised we didn't see as much on the cartel side of things but I suppose the story is about Saul and starts/ends there.

The show as a whole had just phenomenal storytelling. The whole saga with Chuck self diagnosed to be suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity yet being one of the best legal minds around....its just so original and opens up avenues for Jimmy to exploit.

Jimmy’s gonna die in that prison. He got 86 years. No amount of good time credits can make up for that at his age.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Ended up probably the best way it could have. Jimmy could have gotten by with 7 years. Instead Jimmy bit the bullet and took the fall. Knowing that doing so might save Kim while also acknowledging responsibility for all the harm he did to others. Kim still loves Jimmy. And knows that down deep, that Jimmy can be a good man. Redemption. Jimmy sacrificed himself to protect Kim. It appears Saul Goodman is respected in prison. He will survive.

Reactions: Cycho1 and mj4cy

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Hated it...a budy of mine came over to watch and he hated it. It just makes no sense that Saul would give up his whole life 7 vs 86 years for what...to smoke cigs with Kim? I get that wanted to redeem Jimmy at the end but it just made no sense, we've watched Saul for a decade be obsessive about getting the best deal, weasling out of things. Its just a character 180 that does not make sense. Saul would not of done that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron