"Better season" measurement

At what point would Iowa's season be better than Iowa State's?

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That's about where I'm at too. Once I take of the Cyclone-Glasses I agree completely. What sucks, and what I'm sure they will have fun with, is that we knew we should have had a much deeper run then what they are probably going to do. Such is sports. We picked a hell of a time to have a real bad game.

Im not too worried about what Hawks fans are going to say. ISU thumped them by 15 on their home court. If ISU played them 10 times today, they would win at least 7 of those games. What I find humorous is all my Hawk friends who went to Twitter and Facebook last night with the #HawkeyeState. What made me laugh even more were when the Panther fans commented on those statuses.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You cannot change what happened in an entire regular season of college basketball. Iowa State was clearly the better team, by far, all season long by any measure possible. It's not even close, and intelligent Iowa fans (there are a few) know it.

One game does not change what we all saw happen this year. ISU had a really bad game at a really bad time, that's all it was. Iowa played maybe their best game of the year last night, albeit against a team who played like 5 guards and were way undersized and couldn't hit their shots like usual.

Point is, one game, by both teams, in the NCAA Tourney doesn't change anything regarding who is the better team. Congrats to Iowa for having one good game in the NCAA Tourney.... you haven't won one for 14 years.... enjoy it.

Next year, ISU will be even better, and will once again dominate Iowa and have a better year once again. Mark it down. Fran cannot recruit. ISU was better this year, and will remain better for the foreseeable future. Get used to it Hawk fans.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
ISU:
Head to head win in Iowa City without 2 of our best players
2nd place Big 12 (tougher league)
Tougher schedule
Better RPI
Better Ranking
Big 12 tournament champions
NCAA 2nd round losers

Iowa:
5th place Big 10
Big 10 tournament losers to Penn State
NCAA 2nd round winners.

I'd say Elite 8 or Final 4 depending on who they face to get to each level.

This. End thread.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Im not too worried about what Hawks fans are going to say. ISU thumped them by 15 on their home court. If ISU played them 10 times today, they would win at least 7 of those games. What I find humorous is all my Hawk friends who went to Twitter and Facebook last night with the #HawkeyeState. What made me laugh even more were when the Panther fans commented on those statuses.

I can relate to your laughter chuck. Not sure I've stopped laughing since Thursday.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can relate to your laughter chuck. Not sure I've stopped laughing since Thursday.

51f6f6cec8561126ab000003_736.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

You know who the better team is Section. You just won't ever admit it.

If ISU was facing Iowa on Sunday, and you had to bet your mortgage on it, you'd take ISU. Or you better, if you don't want to lose your house. ISU would roll this Iowa team again. It is not a good matchup for Iowa at all.

And next year will be just as embarrassing I'm afraid for you guys. ISU will be improved, and Iowa won't. Just enjoy your little ride right now and stay on the Hawk boards. You look foolish laughing at an ISU team that went into IC and smoked your team like nobody's business, and also had the FAR superior season all year long.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
You know who the better team is Section. You just won't ever admit it.

If ISU was facing Iowa on Sunday, and you had to bet your mortgage on it, you'd take ISU. Or you better, if you don't want to lose your house. ISU would roll this Iowa team again. It is not a good matchup for Iowa at all.

And next year will be just as embarrassing I'm afraid for you guys. ISU will be improved, and Iowa won't. Just enjoy your little ride right now and stay on the Hawk boards. You look foolish laughing at an ISU team that went into IC and smoked your team like nobody's business, and also had the FAR superior season all year long.

Iowa is still playing which means they still have an opportunity to prove everyone wrong. Right now, I would still agree that ISU was the better team this year. They definitely had more talent, but it's obvious that doesn't always result in wins. BDJ was an inconsistent conundrum. McKay and Morris are studs. Niang struggled in the biggest game of the season. You can keep referencing your non-con win in December. I'll keep referencing UAB. Which one mattered more?

For Iowa, Aaron White continues his streak of impressive performances. He's ending his career the way a senior should. Uthoff has a lot of potential and the Hawkeyes length can give any team they face trouble. The question is whether or not they can hit big shots and get decent contributions from their guards. If they do then they can beat Gonzaga. If they don't then I don't think it will be that close.

By the way... It's pretty ironic to me that you mention the word embarrassing. I'm not embarrassed in the least bit by the Hawks. They've reached the point I expected them to reach. Anything beyond the first round was all I thought they were capable of. I'm proud of them for playing the way they did. They showed up. Check the mirror.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Better season has nothing to do with better team, we were clearly the better team all season, no contest, no discussion. But the season is all about getting to the tournament and improving your position in the tournament, the NCAA tournament is what it's all about. All that other "stuff", conference wins, RPI rankings, AP rankings, conference tournament wins, that doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. Nobody cares what our RPI or BPI or AP ranks were now. They won when it mattered, we lost, they now have the better season with the potential to get even better. I'm still 100% confident that we were and are the better team though, the tournament does no always reward the better team, just the team that plays better for those 40 minutes.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa is still playing which means they still have an opportunity to prove everyone wrong. Right now, I would still agree that ISU was the better team this year. They definitely had more talent, but it's obvious that doesn't always result in wins. BDJ was an inconsistent conundrum. McKay and Morris are studs. Niang struggled in the biggest game of the season. You can keep referencing your non-con win in December. I'll keep referencing UAB. Which one mattered more?

For Iowa, Aaron White continues his streak of impressive performances. He's ending his career the way a senior should. Uthoff has a lot of potential and the Hawkeyes length can give any team they face trouble. The question is whether or not they can hit big shots and get decent contributions from their guards. If they do then they can beat Gonzaga. If they don't then I don't think it will be that close.

By the way... It's pretty ironic to me that you mention the word embarrassing. I'm not embarrassed in the least bit by the Hawks. They've reached the point I expected them to reach. Anything beyond the first round was all I thought they were capable of. I'm proud of them for playing the way they did. They showed up. Check the mirror.

McKay and Morris are studs but Niang isn't?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, that shows his stupidity and his "Hawkeye" knowledge right there.

Niang has a bad game, and all of the sudden he's not a stud? First team All Big 12, and finalist for the Wooden Award. How many bad games did Aaron White have this year? A lot! He must be terrible.

And Section says ISU has more talent, but talent doesn't always equal wins?? Wut? In this case, it did exactly that. Iowa State had a lot more wins than Iowa did this year, and were more talented.

It is because of moronic fans like Section that I can't stand Iowa and want them to lose.... not because of their team.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014

Where did I say Niang isn't? I poined out he had a bad game. He's been the centerpiece for quite some time. Obviously him having a bad game played a big role in the loss.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Where did I say Niang isn't? I poined out he had a bad game. He's been the centerpiece for quite some time. Obviously him having a bad game played a big role in the loss.

You said McKay and Morris were studs but didn't group Niang in there. Didn't know if you were implying he wasn't or something

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You said McKay and Morris were studs but didn't group Niang in there. Didn't know if you were implying he wasn't or something

I'd still take Morris, Niang, and McKay over anyone on Iowa's team, hands down. Probably Naz too? And.... all of them are back again next year!!

It's still great to be a Cyclone! We've already accomplished great things with Fred, and there will be a LOT more to come. Iowa better enjoy this little run right now, because after this year, they don't have much to look forward to.

ISU has been the better program, by far, since Fred and Fran took over these programs. It's not even close. And this will continue into the future. Good days are ahead!

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Kicked their butts in their place, finished higher in a tougher conf by far, won conf tournament to their 1st Rd loss. They would need to make the Final Four atleast.

So Iowa in the final four is about the same as our season? That is ******* ********. Have we ever made a final four before?

Section110

Apr 4, 2014

That's just because I don't like him. He's too cocky. Doesn't mean I don't respect his game though. Morris and McKay are the kind of players I prefer to watch. Let your play do the talking.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
That's just because I don't like him. He's too cocky. Doesn't mean I don't respect his game though. Morris and McKay are the kind of players I prefer to watch. Let your play do the talking.

You need to watch more Big 12 bball if you think Niang is cocky. Yeah, he talks some but it's nothing compared to guys like Selden, Nash, or the entire OU bball team. The thing I like about Niang is even after a hard fought game, you always see him in the line after the game hugging guys from the other team.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The tournament trumps everything. It's the ultimate measure of success. Survive and advance. You beat the teams you're supposed to and keep rolling. Go Panthers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron