Better this year?

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Everyone seems so convinced we will be better this year. What are the reasons? I'm not seeing it. I think we'll have a season about like last year.

Reactions: Doc

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We were a better team last year than the bowl team the year before. We are again a better team this year than the year before. Yes we lost some key starters. But we have also replaced them(most) with more talented players. The players the previous years were new to the coaches and scheme. This will be the third year in the scheme for most of the players. This team is on the ups.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Im sure people think that about the D. Not many do about the O. Specials will be very solid. I get the optimism.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
We were a better team last year than the bowl team the year before. We are again a better team this year than the year before. Yes we lost some key starters. But we have also replaced them(most) with more talented players. The players the previous years were new to the coaches and scheme. This will be the third year in the scheme for most of the players. This team is on the ups.

Where is the evidence they have been replaced by more talented players? And if they are more talented, why weren't they playing last year instead of the guys who played in front of them? I get the scheme thing but there's a law of diminishing returns at work there. I'm not sure I expect a lot from that element though it is a solid point.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Everyone seems so convinced we will be better this year. What are the reasons? I'm not seeing it. I think we'll have a season about like last year.

I think we will be better but might not end up with as many wins as some predict. Better Cyclone team against tougher schedule might not equal more wins this year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This team is better than it was last year. The defense really started to come around late last year, and we carry that over into this year. The offense, well, really can only go up from last year.

The coaches are excited about this year. I trust their judgment.

We are better this year than last - unfortunately, it just may not show up in the standings, because the schedule is brutal.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
The coaches are excited. Yeah...Chizik's coaches where excited, too. So was Mac in his winless/1 win season. That doesn't mean anything.

Someone brought up the D. I think it could be better. That will help.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Where is the evidence they have been replaced by more talented players? And if they are more talented, why weren't they playing last year instead of the guys who played in front of them? I get the scheme thing but there's a law of diminishing returns at work there. I'm not sure I expect a lot from that element though it is a solid point.

Logic fail. Knott and Klein were backups their freshman year. Why didn't they play ahead of the starting linebackers, then?

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
This team is better than it was last year. The defense really started to come around late last year, and we carry that over into this year. The offense, well, really can only go up from last year.

The coaches are excited about this year. I trust their judgment.

We are better this year than last - unfortunately, it just may not show up in the standings, because the schedule is brutal.
Same can be said about the 2010 schedule, but that turned out to be manageable.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The defense is greatly improved with experience and the only key loss was David Sims. Everyone else can easily be replaced. The offense was one of the worst in the nation, so it really can't get any worse.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So therefore it always works out that way.

Gotcha.

didn't say that. But, the coaches have really highlighted the improvement of some of the players and discussed, in detail, how the improvement of these specific players will allow us to run sets and schemes this year that we were not able to last year. I suggest you watch Shane Burnham's interview on the D-Line, especially. He's not speaking "coachspeak." He's talking specifically about how certain players have improved, the way they've improved, and the impact it's going to have on playcalling.

pujolsman

Mar 3, 2008
Logic fail. Knott and Klein were backups their freshman year. Why didn't they play ahead of the starting linebackers, then?
Because they weren't as good and then they worked hard and improved. It makes sense to most of us.