Bevins' most likely replacement

Gravy79

Aug 15, 2012
He has never played DT before, not only has he only been on the DL 2 years at the most, he has to learn DT which is actually quite different than DE as far as technique goes. If you watched some of his film or games last season, his technique already needed a lot of work. He is a great athlete and the potential is great, but right now it's just that. His stats back up my point. He didn't kill it statistically on what was an already great team. So you can't say he was doubled all the time because he wasn't. Bottom line, a year in the system to work on his technique would have done wonders, but learning on the job, he will probably be a body out there but nothing amazing. His senior year on the other hand, could be great. I would love to be wrong, but this is just my opinion.

Ditto

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
He has never played DT before, not only has he only been on the DL 2 years at the most, he has to learn DT which is actually quite different than DE as far as technique goes. If you watched some of his film or games last season, his technique already needed a lot of work. He is a great athlete and the potential is great, but right now it's just that. His stats back up my point. He didn't kill it statistically on what was an already great team. So you can't say he was doubled all the time because he wasn't. Bottom line, a year in the system to work on his technique would have done wonders, but learning on the job, he will probably be a body out there but nothing amazing. His senior year on the other hand, could be great. I would love to be wrong, but this is just my opinion.

Stats may be the worst way to judge a DT's talent. DT's plug holes to disrupt the running game and occupy lineman so the LB's can rack up the stats.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about his technique needing work, but If he has any desire or intelligence he'll be fine, it's not exactly rocket science. My guess is he'll be a starter by the conference schedule if not sooner.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

I gotcha. Appreciate the reply and I do agree for the most part. I do, however, think he is better suited to play DT as opposed to DE, which might work in his favor.

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
^I agree with this, and I feel that the coaching staff will do a pretty good job of making him work hard/motivate him, gimme some of that Kool aid

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Here is the thing with Coe. Very athletic but has a rep for being kind of lazy. He has only played one season of football on the defensive line as a DE at a junior college and he didn't exactly tear it up there.
He didn't have that many offers after his Juco time.
No doubt that if he has the right coach that can get him to work hard that he could be really good but to expect him to come in and be a good defensive tackle right off the bat is asking a lot. It is more than just being a big guy or a good athlete.

There was a reason why Iowa basically stopped talking to him after seeing him work at Iowa Western.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Me sad.... Coe is not ready to play a lot of serious minutes. Some people have unreal expectations of the guy.

Coe was the best kid we recruited last year and will play right away

Straight from the mouth of our d coordinator

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Didn't Yancy say something along the lines of Jenson will be better than McDonough?

He didn't say better, he just said further along physically at the same point in their careers.

I recall this as well, are jensen and Woods listed 1/2 at nose or at different positions? Whichever it is you have to assume there will be a healthy amount of movement between the two guys in both NG and DT spots.

I really hope Aka is ready to contribute, he is a flipping specimen. If he can continue to learn the position, I like him to make some nice contributions too.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Well, we will probably be rotating 4-5 guys on the interior, so it means a few more snaps for each of them. Coe is going to need to play, and I think the staff knew it from the begninning. He may only play 15 snaps a game in the early going, but I would bet he plays twice that many or more toward the end of the season. Losing Bevins hurts, but I want guys who are sold-out for the Cyclones. Half-hearted may cut it some positions, but DL has to be mentally all-in.

UncleCy

Jan 14, 2013
I know Bevins was listed as the starter in the beginning of spring, but he did not start in the spring game. If my memory is correct (and I'm getting old), Jensen and Woods were the starters for the spring game. Also, in the spring outlook, Rhoads said

"At tackle Brandon Jensen and Walter Woods are the building blocks for a very young defensive interior line…
Depth will be provided by a trio of freshman, Collin Bevins, Devlyn Cousin and Pierre Aka... Our staff is excited about the potential and growth of these men. Austin Krick has also put himself in position of playing time this season.”

So as much as I would like to join the sky is falling crowd, the real question is... who will replace the redshirt freshman
backup defensive tackle? And don't get me wrong, I think Bevins has a ton of potential. He is a big body, was a heavyweight state wrestling champion, AND ran the 200m in high school. Also, I realize that depth is limited in the interior defensive line. But we have a pair of 300-lb upperclassman starters in Jensen and Woods. We have a three backups who have evidently performed well in Cousin, Aka, and Krick. They probably aren't ready to play full-time in the Big 12, but should be able to provide breathers when needed. Add in Coe at 305-lbs as a wild card and I don't feel too bad about the interior of the D line. Obviously, injuries could change how I feel, but that is true of just about any position on the team right now - with the possible exception of RB.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Gravy79

Aug 15, 2012
Did his girlfriend dump him or something? Seriously, WTF?

Anyways- I see Coe as a Warren Sapp-type. He wasn't exactly a great physical specimen, but he had great instincts and played hard. The Kool-aid tastes good...

You just compared Coe and Warren Sapp? Whoa

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't know that Bevins was ever going to be a starter this year, but I was excited for his future. I think that Jensen is a lock to start and the other spot will be a rotation with Woods and Cousins. Coe and Aka will see plenty of snaps too. It really wouldn't surprise me if they found a late JUCO to join the team. Someone with some size that is primarily a run stuffer.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Did his girlfriend dump him or something? Seriously, WTF?

Anyways- I see Coe as a Warren Sapp-type. He wasn't exactly a great physical specimen, but he had great instincts and played hard. The Kool-aid tastes good...

Really? I think you're going to be seriously disappointed. Coe is athletic, that's for sure. Thanks for pointing out he is up to 305, good to know my thinking he was at 275 is incorrect! Hopefully it is all good weight and he can throw people around on the line!