Big 12 Beebe Deal News Conference

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Are you suggesting that the "Forgotten Five" form a "Union" to negotiate better terms?:wideeyed::wideeyed:

I was fine with Texas getting more TV revenue and forming their own conference as long as a new TV deal was in place that would increase everyone else's. Those are pretty big consessions.
The bylaws speak of buyout money going to the conf members. I guess we know the cost of "doing business" with Texas was. Sounds like protection money and I'm sure there will be more in future.
I hate to say it but now that any type of balancing force (nebr) is gone, the conf is now the Texas Conference.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Other big schools don't screw over their conference members. Ohio State could stick it to Northwestern if they so chose to I imagine. Why is that, exactly?

That's really the things that sucks about this. Every conference, even BCS conferences, have have-nots. But other conferences look out for all of their members. We happen to be in the one conference where the haves try and screw the have-nots as hard as they can for their own gain.

:sad:

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
I know I'm a dork when this thought came to mind.

dv_fett.jpg

"This deal is getting worse all the time."

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma aren't the whores - they're the pimps. We're the whores that just got *****-slapped by our pimp...

We need Richard Gere to come riding in and rescue us so we won't have to be Texas' ***** any longer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are you suggesting that the "Forgotten Five" form a "Union" to negotiate better terms?:wideeyed::wideeyed:

Since you're going to drag this into the "political" realm - no, it's called a "joint venture". For those like yourself that aren't inclined towards business, that's when two or more businesses pool their resources in an effort to reach a common goal. A union is a group of people that sign a contract with a union boss to have have their union negotiate their working terms for them.

Take your political **** back to the cave where it belongs...

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
This deal is just like what is wrong with baseball. How relevant is baseball now? Yes we are in a BCS conference but when you are in financial model like that you are irrelevant.
There will be NO TV deal in 4 years. Trust me, Texas will get their own network set up and running and they will use this to control the "new" deal. That 3-5 million their network would bring will increase dramatically in 4 years. The conf TV deal will suffer big time.
But we are stuck. Maybe this will buy some time to be ready for the next scare in 3-4 years.

Reactions: thrillcat

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Maybe this will buy some time to be ready for the next scare in 3-4 years.

Yep, buying time is the only saving grace of this deal. We just bought ourselves a few years and a really kick-*** practice squad (our season schedules) to improve our teams so we will land on our feet next time around.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Yes. His post was fantastic. I especially loved the part about saying that we are lucky to be relevant in the BCS. Relevant? :biglaugh::biglaugh: We are UT's bastard child that they cut off financially. We get nothing out of this deal. Not even a guarantee that the conference will stay together long enough for us to get increased revenue from a future tv deal which by then Texas could just gain stronger positioning and OU, Texas, and A&M will gain all of the benefit from while giving us nothing. We are so relevant that when they discuss the options for the Big XII leftovers they only mention KU, K-State, Mizzou, and Baylor. Hell... it's like we don't even exist. If this is the relevance that some seek then that is their deal. For anyone to think for a second that this is the best positioning that ISU could have then they should be fitted for a straight-jacket. Your padded cell is right over here......

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Yes. His post was fantastic. I especially loved the part about saying that we are lucky to be relevant in the BCS. Relevant? :biglaugh::biglaugh: We are UT's bastard child that they cut off financially. We get nothing out of this deal. Not even a guarantee that the conference will stay together long enough for us to get increased revenue from a future tv deal which by then Texas could just gain stronger positioning and OU, Texas, and A&M will gain all of the benefit from while giving us nothing. We are so relevant that when they discuss the options for the Big XII leftovers they only mention KU, K-State, Mizzou, and Baylor. Hell... it's like we don't even exist. If this is the relevance that some seek then that is their deal. For anyone to think for a second that this is the best positioning that ISU could have then they should be fitted for a straight-jacket. Your padded cell is right over here......

You must have passed over the part about whiny crybabies.

msmcyclone

Jun 15, 2010
The fact is ISU had no choice. There were no other offers on the table for ISU. MWC never onced wanted a part of ISU and Big East was also not just gonna add ISU just to add us, it would not benefit the Big East. So unless you thought the WAC or the MAC or the SOL conference is better than staying in a BCS conference and making the most money we can possibly ever make than go ahead an whine. But the fact is that we didn't lose anything we this deal and we would have lost something(money,conference prestige,athletic programs) if we would have not had this deal.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

So please tell us all. What is the best positioning that ISU could have? Please enlighten us all with all the better offers and options ISU had on the table waiting for them. PLEASE.

Congrats on excelling with the crybaby part.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I know this may just be a formality issue, but I just relistened to the conference.

Beebe said the forgotten 5 were willing to offer more of their shares (and even just conference share in general in the future) to those OU, UT, and TAMU.

He also said, that Texas had even said they appreciate that, but aren't necessarily interested in going that way.

So yes, the offer is on the table to give all the NU, CU buyouts to the Big 3, but that hasn't been made official or guaranteed.

we may sacrifice even more in the future, and apparently offered it. But for all we know TX, OU and A&M may look at it and in an honorable way way we don't want the money. Sounds like TX even hinted at that. It would make sense that they may say no. It would provide them with like 5 mill (next to nothing for TX), but at the same time make them look very bad from a PR standpoint. It would also increase the instability of the conference because it would always be something the have nots would always remember as a symbol for who the Big 12 is really serving.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Why does this not surprise me? Beebe is the devil incarnate. He knew Iowa State, Missouri, K-State, Kansas, Baylor were not in a position to negotiate. He just didn't want ISU's (as well as KU's, K-State's, Missouri's, Baylor's) money, but he wanted our dignity as well.

I mean, what would have been the harm in throwing the five a bone -- like instead of taking the entire $2 million (or whatever), give each five $1 million?

A guy at work told me to read Tom Schatel's (spelling?) story in today's Omaha World Herald because he said Schatel asks where is the money coming from.

Well, as it turns out, it was all a shell game -- a ponzi scheme -- where Texas, OU and A&M and Beebe turned out to be Bernie Madoffs.

I can only hope that when their Great Commissioner in the Sky finally calls Beebe's and his ilk's number, they are sent to that special place which is reserved for child molesters, child beaters, wife beaters and people who drive nails into cat heads.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You must have passed over the part about whiny crybabies.

What can I say.... some people would rather fight for what is right and just while others are more willing to just bend over and get hammered. Personally... I would rather see ISU go down swinging then to just roll over and get gang raped by Texas, OU, and A&M. This just sets the precedent. Next year when Texas doesn't think they are getting the money they deserve what will happen? Will the lowly 5 sign over 50% of their share of the conference revenue? Then what happens when it is time to negotiate a new tv deal? Will the lowly 5 take 5 million when the big 3 demand 40 million each? Once you bend over for these guys it is what they come to expect and it will never end. They will always demand more because they know they are going to get it because we are DESPERATE!!!!!!! All we have done is signed our own death certificate. In all reality... dropping to a non- BCS conference now would put us in a better position then it will in 4 years when Texas is done with us and we end up in a non-BCS conference anyway.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Folks...step back from the ledge, and calmly think about this for just a second...

1) NU's Perlman tipped his hand this morning...his legal argument for no NU penalty is that the penalty only applies if the conference suffers loss from a member leaving, and the new TV deal that was obtained from NU's departure is actually a gain for the conference. Personally, I don't think his argument will hold up based on the way the bylaws are written, but who knows what the courts will do. If Beebe comes out today before the NU/CU penalties are agreed to and signed off by all sides and announces a huge TV deal, he gives credence to Perlman's argument that the Big 12 is gaining (instead of suffering loss) from NU's departure. Perlman apparently knows something of what the Big 12 has been offered. His case completely falls apart if the conference gains are projected, and not real.

2) NU and CU are still part of the Big 12, and they are forfeiting only a % of their revenue for leaving, not the whole amount. If new TV deals went into effect immediately, NU and CU, as members of the Big 12, would still benefit.

3) The Big 12 was only "saved" less than 12 hours ago. There is no possible way for renegotiated TV deals to be in place already. TT hasn't even formally committed yet. Also, the media deals are staggered, which means they come due at different times. There's ESPN/ABC, FOX cable channels, Versus, and perhaps something else we don't know. The Big 12 can't tip their hand until all contacts are signed. Beebe mentioned that the staggered deals are a problem that will be dealt with in the future.

4) I just don't see UT/OU/A&M deciding to stay in the Big 12 based on projections. There's more going on.

I'd be surprised if ANYTHING was mentioned about future revenue increases until all settlements are made with CU/NU, or perhaps even until those two are completely out of the conference.

Last edited:

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Reality check Cyclone fans. This fan base is turning into a bunch of whiny crybabies. The fact that Texas, OU and A&M get an incentive not to leave is the free market at work, and anyone that thinks ISU didn't get a benefit as well has lost touch with reality. We remain in one of the best conferences in college sports. Memphis is willing to pay 10m per year to land in a BCS conference. To claim that we got no value from this is ignoring the truth.

No conference was beating down our door to add ISU. Even though some of the conference schools are being given incentives not to bolt to greener pastures this is still the best revenue alternative that we had available.

Whining and crying that things aren't fair isn't going to get us anywhere. If we want to change this culture we need start winning which will make us more attractive to the free market. If we do that, the rewards will follow.

I'm getting so tired of the attitude that is pervasive on this message board that things just aren't fair. I have news for folks. Life isn't fair. Accept it and move forward, and be thankful we are still relevant in the BCS.

And I'm really sick of the pervasive statement that "we just need to win, that will solve everything."

I agree, winning would solve a lot of ISU's problems. But don't give me that pseudo-capitalistic, laissez-faire BS. ISU is in a hole financially, with subpar facilities and less money to pay our coaches. TU, OU & A&M were already miles ahead of us financially. How are we ever supposed to compete when the playing field is so uneven?

I love ISU, and I just stepped up my annual donation to ISU after all this mess, but I don't anticipate that it's going to do much. Until we have parity in the conference, the Big XII is a joke.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Why does this not surprise me? Beebe is the devil incarnate. He knew Iowa State, Missouri, K-State, Kansas, Baylor were not in a position to negotiate. He just didn't want ISU's (as well as KU's, K-State's, Missouri's, Baylor's) money, but he wanted our dignity as well.

I mean, what would have been the harm in throwing the five a bone -- like instead of taking the entire $2 million (or whatever), give each five $1 million?

A guy at work told me to read Tom Schatel's (spelling?) story in today's Omaha World Herald because he said Schatel asks where is the money coming from.

Well, as it turns out, it was all a shell game -- a ponzi scheme -- where Texas, OU and A&M and Beebe turned out to be Bernie Madoffs.

I can only hope that when their Great Commissioner in the Sky finally calls Beebe's and his ilk's number, they are sent to that special place which is reserved for child molesters, child beaters, wife beaters and people who drive nails into cat heads.

Not true, ISU had several great offers from other conferences on the table. :jimlad:

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

Funny you mention that. Beebe actually brings up how he believes it's God's will that the Big 12 stayed alive and by working to keep it together he was acting in God's interest.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I also don't get all the complaining. If you asked anyone who has followed this story if absolutely nothing changed for Iowa State aside from having to play all the South schools every year, I imagine anyone would have been thrilled by that outcome. There is the saying that "No news is good news", well "No change is positive change" in this situation.