Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Yeah...adding SMU and USF is not doing anything to solidify the Big 12...probably the opposite. On the other hand, adding Arizona and ASU might actually do some solidifying.

If I were Bowlsby, as far as expansion goes, my top priority would be finding out if the continually bantered about Arizona/ASU-are-unhappy-in-the-Pac-12 rumors are really true, and act accordingly. Tap into the resources and connections that the Big 12 presidents and ADs have, and figure this out.

I have said before that the best future additions to the B12 (if any are to be made) are Az and AzSt. They are in the Mountain Time Zone, as is BYU, would not stretch the conference further to the west, and are recognized major universities. If we want to go to 16, the next ones could include bringing back Colorado (out of pity), and possibly Nebraska (also pitiful) , or Louisville (great basketball, and better football than Kansas).

• Dumb
Reactions: everyyard

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have said before that the best future additions to the B12 (if any are to be made) are Az and AzSt. They are in the Mountain Time Zone, as is BYU, would not stretch the conference further to the west, and are recognized major universities. If we want to go to 16, the next ones could include bringing back Colorado (out of pity), and possibly Nebraska (also pitiful) , or Louisville (great basketball, and better football than Kansas).

Nebby aint coming back jfc. CU maybe if the P12 implodes but that is a massive stretch as well.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I get most people here are not Patreon/premium board subscribers but you should chip in because this idea is not far off of a recent CW update. Well, at least until you got to Nebraska.

Think about it this way: if the Pac-12 and Big 12 end up with comparable TV money, which is a huge if, why would a school like Arizona want to stay in that league that is subject to the whims of USC (and can be destroyed by USC just as easily) when they could make similar money in a conference without a behemoth, in which they can have 1 of 14 or 16 equal votes?

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
on a brighter note, if this keeps spiraling down to this mess, we won’t have to worry about him staying when a big job comes along.

But aren’t We supposed to have a seat at the table, auto playoff slot, other conferences will look out for us?

We were promised this when people said this is the body blow that permanently relegates Iowa State to the minor leagues.
Dude, you are spiraling. Take a break.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Nebraska can't compete in the B1G. Bad recruiting, bad coaching. Their fans and administration are fed up.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I don't believe any of the talk about the Arizonas leaving unless the PAC implodes via B1G/SEC stealing the Cali schools.

There is too much to be said about research dollars and academics. The Baylor podcast SIM 365 or whatever had a guy on to talk about expansion. Here is his slide show: (CAUTION ITS LONG) http://books.altimorecollins.com/sicem365/ I think it really shows the academic side of things better than other places.

If the PAC does implode via B1G SEC, we may have an interesting selection of PAC and ACC schools because no way the ACC powers are watching PAC schools go to greener pastures and get left behind. I still believe the Big 12 should sit tight with the new 12 and see what happens. They did as good as they could with the 4 they picked.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
… There is too much to be said about research dollars and academics. The Baylor podcast SIM 365 or whatever had a guy on to talk about expansion. Here is his slide show: (CAUTION ITS LONG) http://books.altimorecollins.com/sicem365/ I think it really shows the academic side of things better than other places. ….
That is an interesting link. I’ll have to look at it more closely when I’m on a bigger screen.

It is ancient history now, but there was a story today on two ISU alums, Henry A. Wallace and George Washington Carver (linked below). Similar lines of research are still going on. Also, if I am not mistaken, Wallace’s research led to the creation of the Atanasoff-Berry computer (or ABC). Atanasoff was a physics professor but a consultant to the stats lab, as I recall. The ABC was invented to solve systems of linear equations that were all done by hand at that time, related to agricultural research.

Drake neighborhood marker tells one-of-a-kind story of Wallace and Carver -- even if a few facts aren't right
Iowa plaque tells story of Henry A. Wallace, George Washington Carver (desmoinesregister.com)
About 120 years ago on what was then the far western edge of Des Moines lived a bright teen named Henry A. Wallace.

Given the use of 5 acres of his family's land, he planted corn for use in experiments that, drawing on lessons in plant genetics he had learned from none other than George Washington Carver, launched him on the path to devising hybridized strains of corn — the cornerstone of Iowa row crop agriculture today.

So goes the story told on a historic marker at the corner of 38th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue ...

Last edited:

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I don't believe any of the talk about the Arizonas leaving unless the PAC implodes via B1G/SEC stealing the Cali schools.

There is too much to be said about research dollars and academics. The Baylor podcast SIM 365 or whatever had a guy on to talk about expansion. Here is his slide show: (CAUTION ITS LONG) http://books.altimorecollins.com/sicem365/ I think it really shows the academic side of things better than other places.

If the PAC does implode via B1G SEC, we may have an interesting selection of PAC and ACC schools because no way the ACC powers are watching PAC schools go to greener pastures and get left behind. I still believe the Big 12 should sit tight with the new 12 and see what happens. They did as good as they could with the 4 they picked.

I listened to their presentation on that piece recently.
1. Made me wonder how much academics actually factor into things. Seems like it the past it was more schools aligned based on academics and geography but if you look at the moves of Nebby and UT/A&M to the B10 and SEC those moves don’t make as much sense academically from his presentation.
2. The guy spent a lot of time talking about page 25 which was fascinating to hear him speak. I noticed if you basically take academic rankings of 110 and above and all sports points of 100 and above and draw the upper right quadrant you basically have all P5 schools. Interesting to hear him talk about some of the old B12 members not really fitting in their new leagues as well.

If you go off his chart Memphis and Boise do t really fit in the new B12 in my opinion. If Boise ever runs into a rough stretch in football people are going to wonder why in the world they’re in the B12 if they get an invite.

Reactions: everyyard

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Nebraska can't compete in the B1G. Bad recruiting, bad coaching. Their fans and administration are fed up.
I’ve got to be honest I had no idea about the bad recruiting thing (don’t really think about Nebraska that much) but always assumed they were a good/decent recruiting that just under performed or had bad coaching. But my god they are like 75th in recruiting which is abysmal. They really were an awful addition that stick out like crazy when you look at the rest of the conference. I mean even Rutgers has a top 20 recruiting class and good academics but Nebraska just shitting the bed all around.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I listened to their presentation on that piece recently.
1. Made me wonder how much academics actually factor into things. Seems like it the past it was more schools aligned based on academics and geography but if you look at the moves of Nebby and UT/A&M to the B10 and SEC those moves don’t make as much sense academically from his presentation.
2. The guy spent a lot of time talking about page 25 which was fascinating to hear him speak. I noticed if you basically take academic rankings of 110 and above and all sports points of 100 and above and draw the upper right quadrant you basically have all P5 schools. Interesting to hear him talk about some of the old B12 members not really fitting in their new leagues as well.

If you go off his chart Memphis and Boise do t really fit in the new B12 in my opinion. If Boise ever runs into a rough stretch in football people are going to wonder why in the world they’re in the B12 if they get an invite.
Personally I don’t think Boise is the right answer but Memphis 100% is and will have a permanent top 10 basketball team going forward

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
... If Boise ever runs into a rough stretch in football people are going to wonder why in the world they’re in the B12 if they get an invite...

^This. Honestly, apply it to Memphis too. Their academics aren't good either. Until they moved to the American they were Kansas bad at football. Bball is good, but not Kansas good.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I’ve got to be honest I had no idea about the bad recruiting thing (don’t really think about Nebraska that much) but always assumed they were a good/decent recruiting that just under performed or had bad coaching. But my god they are like 75th in recruiting which is abysmal. They really were an awful addition that stick out like crazy when you look at the rest of the conference. I mean even Rutgers has a top 20 recruiting class and good academics but Nebraska just shitting the bed all around.

They sold their soul and their natural recruiting ground in Texas. Poorly thought out move there.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

The Big10 just added a name.
Anybody could see they were bad when they left the Big 12.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Pac-12 Network must have slashed their charge per subscriber fee to a beyond putrid level now to get any exposure they can.
These things are odd. In the early days of the B1G and the Pac Networks, I had the Pac but not the B1G on my cable package in Cincinnati!

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017

I think this slideshow has a lot of interesting information. Gives me a pretty good sense of where the ACC schools would end up if the conference is broken up (we'd get Louisville for sure). Also drives home how bad a fit Nebraska is for the B1G. Also made me wonder why we haven't either A) tried to get into the B1G academic alliance at least as a non-sports member like Chicago if they won't let us be a full member or B) started our own with the AAU schools that aren't in theirs. Seems like there are a ton of advantages.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone