Big 12 Expansion

2clones4cy

Dec 2, 2012
So with the Blow to Baylor and qb Seth Russell I am going to assume they will finish the season with 1-2 losses. I don't see how any of the Big 12's powers will finish undefeated as I see the top teams all with at least 1 loss. Lets say the selection committee leaves us out again this year. Will we finally see an Expansion?? I just cant think of anyway we get into the Playoff with one of our teams that still have a chance (TCU, Baylor, Okie St, Oklahoma) losing this late in the year.

If we don't expand if the scenario above happens I can see the Big 12 not being around much longer. I know we signed the TV contracts but it would benefit all the powers of our conference by splitting up teams so the big boys don't have to meet every team year in and year out plus ISU would be decent the non years they don't have to play all 5 powers like the Mcarney era.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Probably no to conference expansion because the PAC 12 just lost a bid too. I think 8 team playoff expansion is more likely.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are a lot of things this year that could make a playoff decision very difficult.

What happens if there are like 9 one loss teams?

Wouldn't want to be the people who make those decisions...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
And it's not like the ACC is looking to fill a slot. So now you've got 3 of the P5 showing issues.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I doubt we'll see more than 1-2 teams undefeated when push comes to shove. Clemson might get in just by default.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Probably no to conference expansion because the PAC 12 just lost a bid too. I think 8 team playoff expansion is more likely.

If notre dame ran the table and got a bid, keeping a second p5 conference out, i think that might speed up the expansion to 8 that needs to happen.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
If notre dame ran the table and got a bid, keeping a second p5 conference out, i think that might speed up the expansion to 8 that needs to happen.

This may be the only thing that makes me cheer for Notre Dame, ever.

Once they make the playoff, I hope they fall flat on their faces.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I saw two ESPN commentators making playoff predictions today (one was Brett McMurphy). One had the Pac-12 left out and the other had the SEC left out.

If Clemson loses, this decision appears to get a lot easier. If not, I think a one-loss TCU, Baylor, or Oklahoma gets in over a one-loss Pac-12 team and they'll be out this year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Eight team playoff, nine conference games for all P5 conferences, no more P5-FCS matchups, penalize teams for playing low ranked OOC opponents, and favor quality wins over undefeated or one loss teams that played weak schedules. That's where college football needs to get to.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I saw two ESPN commentators making playoff predictions today (one was Brett McMurphy). One had the Pac-12 left out and the other had the SEC left out.

If Clemson loses, this decision appears to get a lot easier. If not, I think a one-loss TCU, Baylor, or Oklahoma gets in over a one-loss Pac-12 team and they'll be out this year.

I would love to see the SEC left out. I doubt the selection committee will do it, though.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I love the current final 4 setup NYE and 10 days later.

They just need to figure out, 4 conferences. The (8) division winners play at the end of November (round 1). Then the final 4 like now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Eight team playoff, nine conference games for all P5 conferences, no more P5-FCS matchups, penalize teams for playing low ranked OOC opponents, and favor quality wins over undefeated or one loss teams that played weak schedules. That's where college football needs to get to.

This x 10,000.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009

This is logical and makes too much sense. Are you not familiar with the way the NCAA works?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
And it's not like the ACC is looking to fill a slot. So now you've got 3 of the P5 showing issues.

Uhhh, what? Clemson, at this point, is right there. They could falter like they always do, but to say there isn't an ACC team in the mix is wrong.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Stanford runs the table they get in.

Either Bama or LSU gets in.
1 of Ohio State or Michigan State, or Iowa
Clemson

Stanford gets 1 more game, if they beat a Utah, UCLA or ASU, they will get the nod.