Big 12 Most Balanced P5 League in 2022?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I like Pate in general. He doesn't really do "hot takes" or seem to have much of an agenda, he just seems to enjoy CFB and talking about it.

As far as the Big12 being wide open, I agree. There's 8 teams that could end up in top 25, or could end up 4-8. I am just no sure which ones are which yet. I think 6-3 with the right tiebreaks could get a team into the CCG.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I like Pate in general. He doesn't really do "hot takes" or seem to have much of an agenda, he just seems to enjoy CFB and talking about it.

As far as the Big12 being wide open, I agree. There's 8 teams that could end up in top 25, or could end up 4-8. I am just no sure which ones are which yet. I think 6-3 with the right tiebreaks could get a team into the CCG.

Potentially having a team go 6-3 and play in the CCG when the number 2 team is not from a weaker division says a good amount about how wide open the conference is.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OU has lost the pedigree and no one else will be able to sustain enough to go undefeated or anything.

I'm still going to enjoy the round robin while I can though.
The media makes such a huge deal about the playoff. Always who’s in? The thing is, it doesn’t really matter. There’s about two teams that can challenge Bama and that’s it. But it sucks how espn just writes off teams when they’re no longer in the playoff hunt. I think the conference is going to be super fun to watch. Kind of in an anyone can beat anyone any Saturday kind of way.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The one thing I’m convinced of this year is that there will be one team in the CCG game no one really thought would be there. I doubt it but I’d be fun if it was us.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Every team has valid reason to think 6-8 wins is realistic except KU, and KU has reason to think they will be a little better and maybe get to six wins easier before Texas is gone.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The Big12 has been the best conference top to bottom for awhile. The problem has been our top team hasn’t been as good as Alabama, and well kansas.

Actually our biggest problem was playing round robin against a bunch of other pretty good schools and just beating up on each other. SEC and B1G got to avoid a lot of hard matchups in conference.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I liked what he had to say about Big 12 defense. The Big 12 had been the trend setter for offense, but in the last few years that has switched to defense. I think the transition away from the "defense optional" approach of the recent past, was most pronounced at Oklahoma St.

But, from the local perspective, lost in our teams 7-6 record was just how good the ISU defense was. That may take years of retrospect to completely sink in. 5 close losses traced to ISU being "the hunted", 3rd down inefficiency on offense, and perpetual special teams inconsistency. But the defense, ISU's best ever, was consistent, balanced, and deep. And the work accomplished by Jon Heacock's staff has set trends at all levels of the sport. In fact, I think it fair to say that the Big 12's newfound reputation is traceable to the other 9 teams retooling to keep pace with ISU - the seminal game being 2018 WVU @ ISU.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Through week 4, the Big 12 is the top conference according to the Jeff Sagarin ratings. SEC-West is rated higher, but that is a division - not a conference. SEC-East is 6th, and when you average them, the Big 12 is #1.

1664164829662.png