Big 12 Power Rankings

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
OU
TX
KU
KState
WV
ISU (Putting ISU above Tech because we have better wins)
Tech
OSU
BYU
TCU
Cincy
UCF
Baylor
Houston
OU, UT and the Kansas teams look like the best four teams in the conference, if KU has their QB I think they are 3rd, if not they slide down to 4th.
I am not sold on WV at all, they have an EIU schedule that is going to get a lot of wins, and really beat nobody. Lost to Penn State to open the season, beat a 1-4 Pitt team and they miss UT.
The next two games will determine if ISU is for real or not, win both and we can make some noise, loss both and we are back down to the bottom. I would hate to have to finish the season at KSU needed to win the game to get bowl eligible.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Heartland Sports

So with that being said, here are our Week 7 Big 12 football Power Rankings.

1. OKLAHOMA SOONERS (LAST WEEK: 2)​

There was never a doubt here, right? Oklahoma beat Texas in a classic Red River Rivalry on Saturday between the two teams who appear to be the best of the Big 12 this season. I wondered just how good OU was given the schedule, but they clearly proved that on Saturday and are well deserving of No. 1 this week.

2. TEXAS LONGHORNS (LAST WEEK: 1)​

Texas had opportunities to win this game, but could not get it done. 1st and goal and stopped four times, including at the 1-yard line? Ouch. Texas can still achieve its goals by winning out and making a College Football Playoff, but it just became much harder after losing to OU.

3. WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINEERS (LAST WEEK: 3)​

Well, WVU had a bye week, and based on what they’ve done thus far, I see no reason to move them off No. 3. Frankly, No. 3 to No. 11-12 is a total mishmash in the Big 12 this year.

4. KANSAS JAYHAWKS (LAST WEEK: 5)​

Well, that was dominant. KU rushed for 399 yards in a 29-point win over UCF on Saturday without star QB Jalon Daniels. Kansas dominated both lines of scrimmage, with four sacks and six tackles for loss against UCF. If things break just right, Kansas can find itself in Arlington in December.

5. BYU COUGARS (LAST WEEK: 6)​

BYU was off this week, but they get a bump up after what happened above them in Week 6. But they need to win at TCU this week against a team that is clearly not what it was last season, and now has an injured QB.

6. IOWA STATE CYCLONES (LAST WEEK: 11)​

Maybe you think this is too big of a jump, but Iowa State’s loss to OU doesn’t look nearly as bad based on how the Sooners looked against Texas. The Cyclones dominated TCU on Saturday night and pulled away in the second half as the underclassmen continued to gain confidence. This team is getting better and will be a different team at the end of the season than it was in September.

7. TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS (LAST WEEK: 8)​

The Red Raiders went to Waco and stomped the Baylor Bears. But Baylor stinks. Tech also continues to look improved, but Iowa State’s win is more impressive, so I give them the edge for No. 6 this week, while the Red Raiders slide up one spot.

8. OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS (LAST WEEK: 13)​

Now a team that jumped several spots was Oklahoma State. What?! Who saw that coming on Friday night? As double-digit underdogs, the Cowboys rolled the Wildcats on the backs of the defense and the running game led by Ollie Gordon. Just when you count Mike Gundy out… he ropes you back in.

9. KANSAS STATE WILDCATS (LAST WEEK: 4)​

I don’t think Kansas State will finish 9th in the Big 12, but that’s now how we do these power rankings. What’s their best win? UCF. But boy, UCF doesn’t exactly look like it’s about to light the world on fire. And the Oklahoma State loss is a bad one, so for this week, the Cats are plummeting.

10. CINCINNATI BEARCATS (LAST WEEK: 10)​

Cincinnati also had itself a bye week after losing at BYU last week. This week, the Bearcats host an Iowa State team that is getting more dangerous by the week. It will be very telling for both teams.

11. TCU HORNED FROGS (LAST WEEK: 7)​

TCU continues its disappointing season after losing a second-straight Big 12 game, in large part thanks to a lifeless second half. TCU is not making the adjustments other teams seem to be making against them, and that’s costing them.

12. BAYLOR BEARS (LAST WEEK: 9)​

Baylor has played four good quarters this season: three vs. Utah and one vs. UCF. Otherwise, it’s been a horrific season for the Bears. And getting blown out by a former assistant on their home turf is not a good look for Dave Aranda. Tough times in Waco.

13. UCF KNIGHTS (LAST WEEK: 12)​

UCF just gave up 400 rushing yards to Kansas, knowing full well Jalon Daniels wasn’t playing and Jason Bean is not the passer that Daniels is. That’s just unacceptable. Plumlee didn’t look like he was ready to return at QB, despite giving it a go. UCF, like the four new teams, could be in for a long season.

14. HOUSTON COUGARS (LAST WEEK: 14)​

Houston didn’t play, but there’s no reason to move them off of No. 14 right now. But if they beat WVU on Thursday…

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't know how you can have KSU that high and OSU that low, especially if you're harping on the OP ignoring the games this weekend. UCF is 0-3 after getting pantsed a week after blowing a lead to BU

OU
UT

KU

WVU
ISU
BYU
KSU
TTU

TCU
OSU

BU
UCF
UC
UH
I still think KSU will be near the top. Their coach and QB will get it done. In watching the OSU/KSU game, my take it was a game where KSU played poorly and the bounces went OSU's way. One game doesn't destroy or resurrect a season.

Regarding UCF, I could have them too high. But after they play OU, their schedule softens and I think they finish 4-1. Their season rides on Plumlee getting back from injury by WVU on Oct 28.

Also UCF would be tied with ISU, WVU and TCU at 4-5 in Big12 play. So record wise, no difference between teams 7-10. I just think UCF's path to 4 wins is easiest.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The Power Rankings in the original post seem VERY flawed. Like the person didn't not watch Big12 football this last weekend!!!

KU has looked very solid other than loss to Texas where they 2nd string QB played. Bean is good, but Daniels was a late scratch. After the top 3, it going to be wide open.

I would go with:
  1. OU
  2. Texas
  3. Kansas
  4. Kansas State
  5. BYU
  6. Texas Tech
  7. UCF
  8. Iowa State
  9. TCU
  10. West Virginia
  11. Okie State
  12. Baylor
  13. Cincinnati
  14. Houston
It will be interesting how TT and TCU do with back up QB's. And the other key is winnable road games. Iowa State has a 4 home/5 road schedule- so it's going to need to get at least a couple road wins. The next 2 weeks are big at Cincy and Baylor,

Why on gods earth would ucf be ahead of us right now?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I still think KSU will be near the top. Their coach and QB will get it done. In watching the OSU/KSU game, my take it was a game where KSU played poorly and the bounces went OSU's way. One game doesn't destroy or resurrect a season.

Regarding UCF, I could have them too high. But after they play OU, their schedule softens and I think they finish 4-1. Their season rides on Plumlee getting back from injury by WVU on Oct 28.

Also UCF would be tied with ISU, WVU and TCU at 4-5 in Big12 play. So record wise, no difference between teams 7-10. I just think UCF's path to 4 wins is easiest.
So you aren't doing a power ranking then. Power rankings are week to week with the most weight given to what just happened. Then it's based on what you have done. Power rankings are not what you think will happen in the future, so the UCF part of it doesn't make sense. At this point, they are 0-3 in the conference, and it isn't like they have played OU and Texas either.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
ou
tx
ku
k state
wvu
byu
iowa st
tech
tcu
ok st
cincy
baylor
ucf
houston

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The next two games will determine if ISU is for real or not, win both and we can make some noise, loss both and we are back down to the bottom. I would hate to have to finish the season at KSU needed to win the game to get bowl eligible.
Nope, both teams will be 6-5 going into that game so winner is 7-5, loser ends 6-6.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Heartland Sports

So with that being said, here are our Week 7 Big 12 football Power Rankings.

1. OKLAHOMA SOONERS (LAST WEEK: 2)​

There was never a doubt here, right? Oklahoma beat Texas in a classic Red River Rivalry on Saturday between the two teams who appear to be the best of the Big 12 this season. I wondered just how good OU was given the schedule, but they clearly proved that on Saturday and are well deserving of No. 1 this week.

2. TEXAS LONGHORNS (LAST WEEK: 1)​

Texas had opportunities to win this game, but could not get it done. 1st and goal and stopped four times, including at the 1-yard line? Ouch. Texas can still achieve its goals by winning out and making a College Football Playoff, but it just became much harder after losing to OU.

3. WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINEERS (LAST WEEK: 3)​

Well, WVU had a bye week, and based on what they’ve done thus far, I see no reason to move them off No. 3. Frankly, No. 3 to No. 11-12 is a total mishmash in the Big 12 this year.

4. KANSAS JAYHAWKS (LAST WEEK: 5)​

Well, that was dominant. KU rushed for 399 yards in a 29-point win over UCF on Saturday without star QB Jalon Daniels. Kansas dominated both lines of scrimmage, with four sacks and six tackles for loss against UCF. If things break just right, Kansas can find itself in Arlington in December.

5. BYU COUGARS (LAST WEEK: 6)​

BYU was off this week, but they get a bump up after what happened above them in Week 6. But they need to win at TCU this week against a team that is clearly not what it was last season, and now has an injured QB.

6. IOWA STATE CYCLONES (LAST WEEK: 11)​

Maybe you think this is too big of a jump, but Iowa State’s loss to OU doesn’t look nearly as bad based on how the Sooners looked against Texas. The Cyclones dominated TCU on Saturday night and pulled away in the second half as the underclassmen continued to gain confidence. This team is getting better and will be a different team at the end of the season than it was in September.

7. TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS (LAST WEEK: 8)​

The Red Raiders went to Waco and stomped the Baylor Bears. But Baylor stinks. Tech also continues to look improved, but Iowa State’s win is more impressive, so I give them the edge for No. 6 this week, while the Red Raiders slide up one spot.

8. OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS (LAST WEEK: 13)​

Now a team that jumped several spots was Oklahoma State. What?! Who saw that coming on Friday night? As double-digit underdogs, the Cowboys rolled the Wildcats on the backs of the defense and the running game led by Ollie Gordon. Just when you count Mike Gundy out… he ropes you back in.

9. KANSAS STATE WILDCATS (LAST WEEK: 4)​

I don’t think Kansas State will finish 9th in the Big 12, but that’s now how we do these power rankings. What’s their best win? UCF. But boy, UCF doesn’t exactly look like it’s about to light the world on fire. And the Oklahoma State loss is a bad one, so for this week, the Cats are plummeting.

10. CINCINNATI BEARCATS (LAST WEEK: 10)​

Cincinnati also had itself a bye week after losing at BYU last week. This week, the Bearcats host an Iowa State team that is getting more dangerous by the week. It will be very telling for both teams.

11. TCU HORNED FROGS (LAST WEEK: 7)​

TCU continues its disappointing season after losing a second-straight Big 12 game, in large part thanks to a lifeless second half. TCU is not making the adjustments other teams seem to be making against them, and that’s costing them.

12. BAYLOR BEARS (LAST WEEK: 9)​

Baylor has played four good quarters this season: three vs. Utah and one vs. UCF. Otherwise, it’s been a horrific season for the Bears. And getting blown out by a former assistant on their home turf is not a good look for Dave Aranda. Tough times in Waco.

13. UCF KNIGHTS (LAST WEEK: 12)​

UCF just gave up 400 rushing yards to Kansas, knowing full well Jalon Daniels wasn’t playing and Jason Bean is not the passer that Daniels is. That’s just unacceptable. Plumlee didn’t look like he was ready to return at QB, despite giving it a go. UCF, like the four new teams, could be in for a long season.

14. HOUSTON COUGARS (LAST WEEK: 14)​

Houston didn’t play, but there’s no reason to move them off of No. 14 right now. But if they beat WVU on Thursday…
I don't have any major objections to their list. Maybe at the bottom. If its a true "what have you done for me lately" power ranking then Baylor and UCF getting blown out should both drop below Houston on the bye

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
S+P power rankings: Iowa State (45), Iowa (41)

Big 12 has 2 teams below #50 (2/14=14% of conf): Houston (66), Baylor (75)

B1G has 8 teams below #50 (8/14=57% of conf): Rutgers (58), Mich St (59), Neb (63), Minn (64), Illini (68), Purdue (73), Indiana (95), NW (103). EVERY team in B1G West not named Iowa or Wiscy.

Remaining opponents: Cincy (46), Baylor (75), KU (37), BYU (49), UT (3), KSU (24) (avg 39). Hopefully can at least split and go 3-3 out of that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why on gods earth would ucf be ahead of us right now?
I am projecting after 9 games where teams will finish.

UCF has an easier last 5 games and that gives almost 3 weeks for Plumlee to get healthy.

I would love for ISU to get to 5 Big12 wins, just not really optimistic. But possible if they can beat Cincy and Baylor on the road.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am projecting after 9 games where teams will finish.

UCF has an easier last 5 games and that gives almost 3 weeks for Plumlee to get healthy.

I would love for ISU to get to 5 Big12 wins, just not really optimistic. But possible if they can beat Cincy and Baylor on the road.

Well you aren’t doing a power ranking then.