Big 12 Power Rankings

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
How did they get all four new teams? Their schedule is much easier than ours.
before the season started WVU had the 3rd hardest schedule in the country, hardest in the big 12.

Texas Tech was a big 12 darkhorse team, TCU was supposed to be good, and UCF was also supposed to be better. People thought Oklahoma state would be better too. BYU is no pushover--they beat Arkansas @ Arkansas.

For travel, I think WVU will always get cinn and ucf.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I really think Texas Tech at their best is number three. Remember, Oregon needed a 20 point 4th quarter and a +4 turnover margin to get out of Lubbock with a win.

West Virginia kind of reminds me of Iowa a lot of years in that they aren’t flashy but they’re solid on the lines and can win a lot of games against a favorable schedule.

I’m still not sure whether to buy Kansas. They seem pretty solid, but I don’t think I would be shocked if they lost to really anybody on their remaining schedule.

Kansas State probably has a higher floor than most Big 12 teams, but they need a “get right” game. Huge game for them at Tech on Saturday.

It’s pretty tough to rank this league beyond the top two. I feel pretty confident putting Houston and Baylor at the bottom. I’m not as confident putting UCF down there because I still think there’s a chance they turn things around.

BYU, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Cincy, and TCU are probably middle of the pack, but who knows. Maybe one of them gets hot and finishes toward the top, or maybe the bottom drops out for somebody and they finish toward the bottom. Hard to say.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Man what a season it would be for our young guys if we could get to a bowl game. It's very possible. Beat Cincy, Baylor, and KU....take your chances against the rest.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Went off the rails in the politics forum, came back under a different name. Wasn’t hard to notice who it was.
May you rest in peace, my good friend Surly. You always could be foundth quipping with the utmost wisdom and great knowledge of all things college football and beyond. Our little site on the internet will neverth be the same without your mighty presence. Tah-Tah!!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It's pointless to do a ranking right now. Clearly Texas and OU are light years better than everyone else (sadly). After that there is a high compression of mediocrity/suckage and it's really hard, after a few meaningful games, to know where anyone truly lies. Especially with KState completely laying an egg this last weekend.

KU might be the third best team in the conference if it proves Daniels can stay healthy and their defense can hold up. I think our season hinges on improvement in our LB core...they are young so it's entirely possible as I feel like when we give up big runs or break down in coverage it starts there. On the other side the Oline needs to make strides. Was TCU a step in the right direction or was it a mirage? I'm not convinced.

The conference is a big pile of ******* from 3-14 and very little would surprise me from here on out. Not even sure how you could rank the teams right now after the top 2. I hate saying it but the Big 12 is terrible this year, maybe the worst it's literally ever been.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's pointless to do a ranking right now. Clearly Texas and OU are light years better than everyone else (sadly). After that there is a high compression of mediocrity/suckage and it's really hard, after a few meaningful games, to know where anyone truly lies. Especially with KState completely laying an egg this last weekend.

KU might be the third best team in the conference if it proves Daniels can stay healthy and their defense can hold up. I think our season hinges on improvement in our LB core...they are young so it's entirely possible as I feel like when we give up big runs or break down in coverage it starts there. On the other side the Oline needs to make strides. Was TCU a step in the right direction or was it a mirage? I'm not convinced.

The conference is a big pile of ******* from 3-14 and very little would surprise me from here on out. Not even sure how you could rank the teams right now after the top 2. I hate saying it but the Big 12 is terrible this year, maybe the worst it's literally ever been.
So what you are saying is other than OU and UT, the Big 12 is like the Big 10 other than Michigan, OSU and Penn State. I would agree.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
These ranking mean nothing , other then the Top 2, any team can lose to any team in the conference.

It will be sweet if OU and texas get the conference 10 million before they leave. :cool:

A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for a Playoff Semifinal. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
1) OU
2) Texas
3) Kansas
4) WV
5) Tech
6) K-State
7) BYU
8) ISU
9) TCU
10) Okie St
11) UCF
12) Cincy
13) Baylor
14) Houston

I feel like Tech and KSU were too high. But I think 4-8 are interchangeable at this point.

1) OU
2) Texas
3) Kansas
4) WV
5) ISU
6) Tech
7) BYU
8) K-State

9) TCU
10) Okie St
11) UCF
12) Cincy
13) Baylor
14) Houston

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Man what a season it would be for our young guys if we could get to a bowl game. It's very possible. Beat Cincy, Baylor, and KU....take your chances against the rest.
I really hope that last years KU still stings these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
So what you are saying is other than OU and UT, the Big 12 is like the Big 10 other than Michigan, OSU and Penn State. I would agree.

I have a feeling Wisconsin might be better than the rest of our conference (not by much), but yeah, I guess that would be pretty accurate.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Power Rankings in the original post seem VERY flawed. Like the person didn't not watch Big12 football this last weekend!!!

KU has looked very solid other than loss to Texas where they 2nd string QB played. Bean is good, but Daniels was a late scratch. After the top 3, it going to be wide open.

I would go with:
  1. OU
  2. Texas
  3. Kansas
  4. Kansas State
  5. BYU
  6. Texas Tech
  7. UCF
  8. Iowa State
  9. TCU
  10. West Virginia
  11. Okie State
  12. Baylor
  13. Cincinnati
  14. Houston
It will be interesting how TT and TCU do with back up QB's. And the other key is winnable road games. Iowa State has a 4 home/5 road schedule- so it's going to need to get at least a couple road wins. The next 2 weeks are big at Cincy and Baylor,

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OU
TX
KU
KState
WV
ISU (Putting ISU above Tech because we have better wins)
Tech
OSU
BYU
TCU
Cincy
UCF
Baylor
Houston

Reactions: frackincygy

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The Power Rankings in the original post seem VERY flawed. Like the person didn't not watch Big12 football this last weekend!!!

KU has looked very solid other than loss to Texas where they 2nd string QB played. Bean is good, but Daniels was a late scratch. After the top 3, it going to be wide open.

I would go with:
  1. OU
  2. Texas
  3. Kansas
  4. Kansas State
  5. BYU
  6. Texas Tech
  7. UCF
  8. Iowa State
  9. TCU
  10. West Virginia
  11. Okie State
  12. Baylor
  13. Cincinnati
  14. Houston
It will be interesting how TT and TCU do with back up QB's. And the other key is winnable road games. Iowa State has a 4 home/5 road schedule- so it's going to need to get at least a couple road wins. The next 2 weeks are big at Cincy and Baylor,
I don't know how you can have KSU that high and OSU that low, especially if you're harping on the OP ignoring the games this weekend. UCF is 0-3 after getting pantsed a week after blowing a lead to BU

OU
UT

KU

WVU
ISU
BYU
KSU
TTU

TCU
OSU

BU
UCF