Big 12/SEC Challenge comes to an end. Thank god.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I say shove basketball back 2 weeks. That will clean up all November for the most part, have the bad non cons go against the CCGs and early bowl games. It also will have students back for the conference slate and not missing the first two weeks of the season.

I like the Thanksgiving week tourneys so maybe start the season with those. Plenty of blue bloods kick things off against other power teams so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Reactions: surly

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I was waiting for this response from someone. I wasn't arguing that ESPN didn't have a business interest in scheduling it that way. We all know WHY it is scheduled that way, but the point remains that THERE IS an advantage which the SEC homers claim doesn't exist. The fact that the Big 12 came out on top of this 5-3 seasons with 2 ties and won 55 of the games to 44 for the SEC despite the scheduling advantage is impressive.

If you are able to give stats about which conference won the most games, broken down home/road schedule or feel taken advantage of because Georgia got left out. You have been suckered in by the ESPN talking heads and buy into the idea these challenges determine who is the best conference. Just like ESPN pushing Joey Brackets in December. These are nothing more than marketing gimmicks to attract viewers.

I feel the same way about the award/trophy ESPN has created during Bowl Season to recognize the conference with the best winning % in bowl games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you are able to give stats about which conference won the most games, broken down home/road schedule or feel taken advantage of because Georgia got left out. You have been suckered in by the ESPN talking heads and buy into the idea these challenges determine who is the best conference. Just like ESPN pushing Joey Brackets in December. These are nothing more than marketing gimmicks to attract viewers.

I feel the same way about the award/trophy ESPN has created during Bowl Season to recognize the conference with the best winning % in bowl games.
There has been some argument as to whether the SEC had an advantage in this or if that was just perceived by Big 12 fans. I simply tried to find some numbers to prove or refute it and it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's that and nothing more.

The conference OOC win percentages go a long way further toward showing what conference is king but SEC fans like to ignore that and point to this stupid challenge. I agree that that is flawed but the Big 12 won it more than the SEC anyway.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Anybody else make the trip down to Columbia this past weekend? What a strange fan base / game environment. It felt like a G-league game. Standium was nice, but the production was super cheesy. Their stadium is supposed to seat 15k, but felt like 2/3 the size of Hilton. Guessing that would include a max capacity in all of the suites that wrapped the stadium.

They have a wierd obsession w/ KU. Had F KU chants a couple of times and seemed like they did that every game. I felt bad for how pathetic it came across. They were really proud of it though.

They had a 'hype' guy that could only be described as a trailor park version of the Bar Stool guy.

The MIZ - ZOU chant was as annoying as OU pep song that gets played all the time.

They didn't introduce our team line item traditionally.

The 'Antlers' - student group was pretty cringe too. Their main guy looked like a 70s style pedo (clear glasses, long hair past shoulders and screamed at the ref the whole time).

Most of the people around me were pretty cool. They said that the stadium hadn't been that full in years and were glad to see some excitement back in the building. The younger people i talked to had that SEC arogance and i'm convinced that the SEC cancer has fully infected the student aged fans.

The best way i could describe the game day feel - a hillbilly version of Texas A&M. Had a little brother / cult feeling to it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Anybody else make the trip down to Columbia this past weekend? What a strange fan base / game environment. It felt like a G-league game. Standium was nice, but the production was super cheesy. Their stadium is supposed to seat 15k, but felt like 2/3 the size of Hilton. Guessing that would include a max capacity in all of the suites that wrapped the stadium.

They have a wierd obsession w/ KU. Had F KU chants a couple of times and seemed like they did that every game. I felt bad for how pathetic it came across. They were really proud of it though.

They had a 'hype' guy that could only be described as a trailor park version of the Bar Stool guy.

The MIZ - ZOU chant was as annoying as OU pep song that gets played all the time.

The 'Antlers' - student group was pretty cringe too. Their main guy looked like a 70s style pedo (clear glasses, long hair past shoulders and screamed at the ref the whole time).

Most of the people around me were pretty cool. They said that the stadium hadn't been that full in years and were glad to see some excitement back in the building. The younger people i talked to had that SEC arogance and i'm convinced that the SEC cancer has fully infected the student aged fans.

The best way i could describe the game day feel - a hillbilly version of Texas A&M. Had a little brother / cult feeling to it.
Unfortunately yes. I enjoyed the weather . . . . The MIZ - ZOU was particularly annoying because they chanted it every time they made a three pointer, which was FAR too much. Overall, the fans were pretty chill, but then they did take it to us, so they had no reason to be pissy.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I wasn't able to watch many games this weekend, so I checked ESPN for scores. At the end of the day, they had a page for the Big XII / SEC challenge with six scores listed. Three wins for the Big XII and three wins for the SEC.

After I dove deeper, I realized the final outcome. I thought maybe they were only listing games where a team was ranked in the top 25, but then I realized that there were only two games that involved both unranked teams.

For them to arbitrarily pick 6 out of 10 games and have the results look even was clearly intentional and quite the spin.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I was home sick. Spent the day channel surfing, rooting for B12 teams, which was pretty easy. For me, this challenge was a lot of fun, particularly Saturday.

Coach Tang said he's glad it's over. Not sure how other coaches feel, but suspect he's not alone. Our players and fans clearly enjoyed it, for obvious reasons.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

So Kansas, Alabama, and Kentucky have all played there this year and it finally takes Iowa State coming to town to get a full house?

I had a feeling it was their Super Bowl by the way came out like Iowa against us but this just confirms it.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017

It doesn’t matter what you and I think. We both see that it’s marketing/propaganda because we’re close to it. But people who aren’t will believe whatever ESPN tells them about it, so it does matter.

This happens all the time. Think about the last time you saw a local story told incorrectly/incompletely in some way by national media. We know there’s something wrong with it. However, when we see a national story from elsewhere we trust it since we don’t have any background or reason to question it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
So Kansas, Alabama, and Kentucky have all played there this year and it finally takes Iowa State coming to town to get a full house?

I had a feeling it was their Super Bowl by the way came out like Iowa against us but this just confirms it.
Plus they held a special "Reunion" weekend for this game. They have also hosted Arkansas already at home so their most fervent game was against us, not ranked conference rivals. SEC! SEC!

Reactions: NoCreativity

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I would go the other way, and move the entire basketball season back another month, and start playing games over Christmas instead of Thanksgiving. Allowing basketball to move out of the shadow of football, and have April madness instead of March madness.

Basketball gets lost in the shuffle until the football regular season is over.

I agree. But I think start the basketball season the first Monday after the football conference championship games. Then eliminate 4 bye games in the non conference. We don't need to play 7 bye games every year imo. And then start conference play when the second semester starts. So this season it would be.

First day of college basketball-Dec 5
9 non con games from Dec 5-Jan 15
Conference play from Jan 16-Mar 18
Conference tournament Mar 22-25
NCAA tournament Mar 28-Apr 17

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

johnstoncy

Oct 18, 2006
Johnston
www.rtsports.com

According to their schedule page they have had sell outs for Kansas, Kentucky, Vandy, Alabama and ISU.

We went down for the game and their fans were actually pretty gracious compared to the times we used to see ISU vs Mizzou at the old dump Hearnes. The guy next to me actually welcomed us. Plus they sold beer in the arena, that helped. The MIZ-ZOU chant got old, but that happens when you get 3's rained down on you. The F KU stuff was a little bit weird considering they weren't even playing KU. The hatred runs deep, it is the one thing we do have in common I guess.

Last edited:

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa

It must be black and gold. Jamie should never schedule another game against a team that has black and gold for colors... o_O

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wasn't able to watch many games this weekend, so I checked ESPN for scores. At the end of the day, they had a page for the Big XII / SEC challenge with six scores listed. Three wins for the Big XII and three wins for the SEC.

After I dove deeper, I realized the final outcome. I thought maybe they were only listing games where a team was ranked in the top 25, but then I realized that there were only two games that involved both unranked teams.

For them to arbitrarily pick 6 out of 10 games and have the results look even was clearly intentional and quite the spin.

My favorite is all these major outlets like Fox and ESPN that will "rank" the conferences by how many tournament bids they project.

Sometimes the Big 12 has the most anyway, but usually we're ranked 2nd or 3rd even though no other conference has anywhere near the % of projected tourney teams.

I'm not on social media that much any more but it was the kind of thing they'd always share on IG and FB and even if I didn't follow them I'd get a suggestion for it.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My favorite is all these major outlets like Fox and ESPN that will "rank" the conferences by how many tournament bids they project.

Sometimes the Big 12 has the most anyway, but usually we're ranked 2nd or 3rd even though no other conference has anywhere near the % of projected tourney teams.

Even if it doesn't involve a "rank," even listing the pure # of teams without percentage when I see bracketology updates annoys me. In addition I don't really need to see number of teams from each league, I can look at a bracket and do the math myself.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron