Big 12 Send Cease and Desist to ESPN

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Best scenario is quick settlement with a great landing. Alternately, a year or two in Big XII limbo with everybody including recruits knowing where we are heading even if it's not signed, sealed and delivered due to legalities and collecting big $$$ from EsTuPnOu
Right. This is all so unpredictable and moving so fast that I don't think it's impossible by any means to actually enforce the 2025 date legally, and in time mutually amend the necessary language to allow the remaining teams to seek new homes SO LONG AS the transition is transparently set to take place AFTER the GoR expires. Just because it's a long shot and never been done before might not matter. Who knows? Good time to be a sports media contract lawyer(?) :jimlad:

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersmd

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
Right. This is all so unpredictable and moving so fast that I don't think it's impossible by any means to actually enforce the 2025 date legally, and in time mutually amend the necessary language to allow the remaining teams to seek new homes SO LONG AS the transition is transparently set to take place AFTER the GoR expires. Just because it's a long shot and never been done before does not matter. Who knows? Good time to be a sports media contract lawyer(?) :jimlad:
If I were an attorney, this would be the stuff I’d live for! If there’s anything to Bowlsby’s assertions, it could be the chance of a lifetime for the person that argues it.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Can we just simply not allow OuT to leave the conference early? When they come with a buyout offer just tell them to **** off and play the 4 years like you promised?
You can de facto accomplish this by dragging out litigation as long as possible. If the big 12 is savy in their legal maneuvering on the appropriate allowable time line you can absolutely drag this out past the GoR deadline. As some have pointed out this has potential practical downsides in recruiting, brand image and stability, etc., but I think that ship has sailed either way unfortunately. Might as well make them pay (literally and figuratively), maximize leverage, and buy time along the way if that's the case. It's a possible 'lose the battle win the war' type scenario bigger picture.

• Agree
Reactions: Zyklon

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You can de facto accomplish this by dragging out litigation as long as possible. If the big 12 is savy in their legal maneuvering on the appropriate allowable time line you can absolutely drag this out past the GoR deadline. As some have pointed out this has potential practical downsides in recruiting, brand image and stability, etc., but I think that ship has sailed either way unfortunately. Might as well make them pay (literally and figuratively), maximize leverage, and buy time along the way if that's the case. It's a possible 'lose the battle win the war' type scenario bigger picture.

But also if ISU can go to the Big 10 we should do that. I don’t want to be on a team with Baylor either.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I do think this does up the ante considerably. Before, the max starting point for negotiations was $70,000,000 (I think) each for UT and OU. This brings potential damages into play, which have the potential to be enormous.

Either way, there is still a lot of downside to the remaining schools if this drags out, but it was always going to be that way.