Big 12 tournament tickets

Chapanye

Apr 11, 2012
Undisclosed
Guys -
Probably a dumb question, but hoping to get a trip planned down to KC for the Big 12 tournament, and seeing that if you want to buy tickets, they have to be all-session.
For those that have been there before, there have to be ways to scalp on a day-to-day basis, right? We probably won't be playing on Wednesday, so have no interest in going and watching those games, for example.

Like I said, maybe this is a dumb question, but any insight would be appreciated

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
One year, granted it was a while ago, we bought all session passes directly from the conference/arena and picked them up onsite. Of course they were baloney and lower priced, but at that point all we wanted was to get in.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Guys -
Probably a dumb question, but hoping to get a trip planned down to KC for the Big 12 tournament, and seeing that if you want to buy tickets, they have to be all-session.
For those that have been there before, there have to be ways to scalp on a day-to-day basis, right? We probably won't be playing on Wednesday, so have no interest in going and watching those games, for example.

Like I said, maybe this is a dumb question, but any insight would be appreciated
All of the ticket outlets have the ability to purchase single session tickets, if you don’t want to purchase all session tickets.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I remember the year that we beat KU in the semis & played Baylor in the final. As soon as we beat KU I went on stub hub, got a pair in row 11 center court across from the teams from a pissed-off KU fan. $200 for the pair. WELL worth it. And fun driving down with all those other fans on the road with us. :D

Ron Burgundy is right. The scalpers are sanctioned (look for the ones with id's on lanyards around their necks), and really easy to hook up with outside the Sprint Center.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I am a little reluctant to post this since this has been one of our go-to moves in the past, but consider going to the Wednesday session. If none of the 3 schools (KU, ISU, KSU) are playing, you can pick up a ticket for like $10-$20. Once inside, you can hit up fans of losing teams that have decent seats before they leave the arena and many will sell their remaining tickets for face value if you ask nicely.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I am a little reluctant to post this since this has been one of our go-to moves in the past, but consider going to the Wednesday session. If none of the 3 schools (KU, ISU, KSU) are playing, you can pick up a ticket for like $10-$20. Once inside, you can hit up fans of losing teams that have decent seats before they leave the arena and many will sell their remaining tickets for face value if you ask nicely.

This is good advise. And don't try to beat the system by just standing outside and trying to buy tickets as they leave. You will be battling dozens of scalpers (the ones that aren't inside doing the same thing). Try to buddy up with some fans of the team you think is going to lose so they might offer you their tickets.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One year, granted it was a while ago, we bought all session passes directly from the conference/arena and picked them up onsite. Of course they were baloney and lower priced, but at that point all we wanted was to get in.
You got free baloney with the seats? Been a while since I had some ring style. Sounds like a deal.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Don’t get caught in the arena or just outside the area trying to buy tickets. Be careful

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
You got free baloney with the seats? Been a while since I had some ring style. Sounds like a deal.
Sigh. Have to blame me not catching the autocorrect. Balcony is not an odd word.

Reactions: BCClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Don’t get caught in the arena or just outside the area trying to buy tickets. Be careful

I've never had or seen a problem buying tickets outside the arena, other than some of the scalpers being a bit aggressive or rude.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I've never had or seen a problem buying tickets outside the arena, other than some of the scalpers being a bit aggressive or rude.
I was warned by arena workers not to buy or sell within the arena area Told to go across the street

Reactions: GoldCy

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Do they even have paper tickets to buy outside anymore? I assumed everything was electronic now.

They were electronic when we went last year, but you can still buy/sell outside the venue. Just transfer on the app - kind of makes it easier since you can see they're verified tickets right then and there.

Huh, didn't realize that was an issue. I sold mine to a scalper last year after we had lost right across the street. He handed me cash and I transferred on the app. I'm kind of impressed how they can keep all those electronic tickets straight, guy I sold to had to scroll thru a ton on his phone to find the ones I sent.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I prefer to buy from families that had a no show. "Sell to me and you'll know who is sitting next to you. Sell it to one of the scalpers and you have no idea. I'll walk in with you and buy the first round of drinks."

When I see a group of 3, I ask if they have an extra ticket. I've even had a ticket given to me for free. There are lots of folks with very good tickets they got by being connected to a sponsor. The tickets have no real value to them.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
based on the projected conference finish and high probability that Iowa State along with Kansas and Purple Kansas make it to Friday I would consider buying full session and not sweat the fact that you aren’t going Wednesday night. The market will be aggressive to say the least.
From past experience going down and attending games Wednesday night is a stress free start to the weekend and gets you ready to go.

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
based on the projected conference finish and high probability that Iowa State along with Kansas and Purple Kansas make it to Friday I would consider buying full session and not sweat the fact that you aren’t going Wednesday night. The market will be aggressive to say the least.
From past experience going down and attending games Wednesday night is a stress free start to the weekend and gets you ready to go.
To this point. The last time KU, KSU and ISU made it to Friday it was $175 to get in the door and $250 for anywhere in the Lower bowl. That certainly may not materialize but if it does Friday and Saturday will be a tough ticket.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and fcclone

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
To this point. The last time KU, KSU and ISU made it to Friday it was $175 to get in the door and $250 for anywhere in the Lower bowl. That certainly may not materialize but if it does Friday and Saturday will be a tough ticket.
And to keep piling on, you can still get upper end zone tickets from the venue and you’ll basically go down with an insurance policy that you can upgrade.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Ticket prices are all about where ISU is compared to KU and (at least this year) KSU. If we're in a different session, tickets will be fairly easy to get and not too expensive. If we share a session with either of those teams, the prices will skyrocket. It used to be that we'd have to worry about Mizzou fans too. No other team will bring enough fans to move the market at all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron