Big 12 TV Viewership - Remaining 8 Schools

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I've read and heard a number of people questioning how TV viewership numbers are influenced by which network the game is placed on, what time of day the game takes place, whether Oklahoma or Texas is involved, etc. and began to wonder what influences some of these items have on the numbers.

So, after some digging, I did a very simple statistical analysis on Big 12 regular season conference games from the seasons 2017-2020 for the remaining 8 teams. The analysis attempts to find the average effect of each single variable and unravel the combined effects of time/network/opponent.

Thought I would share what I found...

A "prime time" game (kick-off between 5:30pm and 9:45pm CT) boosts TV viewership around 350k versus a non-prime time.

Using a game on ESPN as the base, a game on ABC draws an additional 1.3-1.4M, while a game on FOX boosts an extra 800-900k. ESPN2 and FS1 draw around 400-500k less. ESPNU and FS2 reduce the expected viewers by around1M.

If Oklahoma or Texas are involved, an additional 1M viewers can be expected.

If Oklahoma State or West Virginia are involved, an additional 400k viewers will tune in.

If Kansas is involved, about 250k less viewers will watch the game.

Again, this is a simple analysis on a small dataset, but thought the numbers were interesting, although, maybe not surprising.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Your numbers prove that OTA (antenna) television is quite popular in Big 12 country. Otherwise, the ABC and FOX games would not have that large of a viewership spike.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Your numbers prove that OTA (antenna) television is quite popular in Big 12 country. Otherwise, the ABC and FOX games would not have that large of a viewership spike.

This is why I would love it if the Big 12 could pick up that vacated CBS tier 1 contract by the SEC. While CBS missed out on the SEC this go around, they could still keep CFB at play within their lineup with the Big 12 at likely a much cheaper rate. To me, that seems like a win-win on both sides, as it still keeps them big into CFB on Saturdays, and also gives us some good national exposure, especially if we end up going heavy on the streaming route for some tier 2 and tier 3 stuff.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This is why I would love it if the Big 12 could pick up that vacated CBS tier 1 contract by the SEC. While CBS missed out on the SEC this go around, they could still keep CFB at play within their lineup with the Big 12 at likely a much cheaper rate. To me, that seems like a win-win on both sides, as it still keeps them big into CFB on Saturdays, and also gives us some good national exposure, especially if we end up going heavy on the streaming route for some tier 2 and tier 3 stuff.

Some combination of CBS, CBSSN, and Paramount Plus streaming could be valuable for both CBS and the Big 12. Same with NBC, NBCSN, and Peacock. Or some combination of multiple media partners. Lots of options this time - many more than the last go around that ended up all ESPN and FOX. But getting a Game of the Week on an OTA channel like the SEC had with CBS, even if we take a bit of a haircut on the money vs other options, is great for exposure.

Reactions: CaptainEric37

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Some combination of CBS, CBSSN, and Paramount Plus streaming could be valuable for both CBS and the Big 12. Same with NBC, NBCSN, and Peacock. Or some combination of multiple media partners. Lots of options this time - many more than the last go around that ended up all ESPN and FOX. But getting a Game of the Week on an OTA channel like the SEC had with CBS, even if we take a bit of a haircut on the money vs other options, is great for exposure.

Fox I'm sure is still very much in play as well

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

That kind of bodes well for the future as people follow the trends, as better than average growth in streaming would be expected as people transition.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

I think CBS could easily just give up CFB but also, what inventory is more valuable for Saturday afternoons/evenings? Reruns of 60 Minutes??

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron