MLB: Big Hurt Released

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am curious where he ends up. I almost hope he retires before he lets his career average drop below .300.

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com
Frank is one of my all time favorites. I'd also like to see him retire with dignity. I'd like to see him back in Chicago, but the Sox don't exactly need a DH right now. However, maybe they'll do one of those one-day contracts so he can retire a White Sox (sock?). I know I'd like to see that.

He's had a rough end to his career, but he's still HOF material.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I remember when he made a big stink about his contract while he was in Chicago. Think he was threatening to sit out or something. He hasn't helped his image with this recent issue.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Frank's image should be one where he was the most dominant RH hitter of the 1990s and was one of the most vocal players against steroids in baseball. He should keep his mouth shut more often, but he is no doubt a great player in an era where his numbers are unfortunately somewhat diminished by the accomplishments of those who cheated.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
He is a HOFer no doubt in my mind.

Blue Jays release slumping DH Frank Thomas - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

With a career average of .302, Thomas is one of four players in baseball history with at least a .300 average, 500 home runs, 1,500 RBIs, 1,000 runs and 1,500 walks. The others are Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.

He could have been even better, but he put up some nice numbers and I think 2 MVPs.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yup, as far as MVPs, he won in 1993 and 1994 (although strike shortened, which overall probably hurt his career a lot, as well as going through a divorce) and he finished 2nd once (2000), and 3rd twice 1991 and 1997.

I think the one real drawback on his HOF candidacy is that he was a DH most of his career.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Yup, as far as MVPs, he won in 1993 and 1994 (although strike shortened, which overall probably hurt his career a lot, as well as going through a divorce) and he finished 2nd once (2000), and 3rd twice 1991 and 1997.

Don't forget that 2000 the MVP went to the admittedly roided up Jason Giambi, and even then, it's still debatable who was more valuable that year.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Don't forget that 2000 the MVP went to the admittedly roided up Jason Giambi, and even then, it's still debatable who was more valuable that year.

Good point. I was just looking at that voting. Roids really messed up the clear athletes from that/this era.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
To a certain extent, I understand where the Big Hurt is coming from on this. This move isn't just about the Blue Jays getting rid of a guy who no longer produces. The Blue Jays benched him because they didn't want him to get enough ABs to trigger his option for next year. IMO, J.P. Ricciardi (the Blue Jays GM) is one of the worst in baseball and this is just par for the course with him. Thomas is a notoriously slow-starter and even though he's only hitting .167 right now, he's still hit 3 HRs and driven in 11 runs. Last year he hit 26 HRs with 95 HRs for the Blue Jays so it's not like he's been a complete dud in Toronto. Ricciardi doesn't want to pay Thomas next so he's cutting him loose. I think Big Frank is going to be one motivated dude after this and is going to put up some nice numbers for whoever picks him up. Just look at what he did in Oakland in '06 after he left the White Sox.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
To a certain extent, I understand where the Big Hurt is coming from on this. This move isn't just about the Blue Jays getting rid of a guy who no longer produces. The Blue Jays benched him because they didn't want him to get enough ABs to trigger his option for next year. IMO, J.P. Ricciardi (the Blue Jays GM) is one of the worst in baseball and this is just par for the course with him. Thomas is a notoriously slow-starter and even though he's only hitting .167 right now, he's still hit 3 HRs and driven in 11 runs. Last year he hit 26 HRs with 95 HRs for the Blue Jays so it's not like he's been a complete dud in Toronto. Ricciardi doesn't want to pay Thomas next so he's cutting him loose. I think Big Frank is going to be one motivated dude after this and is going to put up some nice numbers for whoever picks him up. Just look at what he did in Oakland in '06 after he left the White Sox.

Couldn't agree more. I don't blame Thomas for being upset. He's not being benched or released to make the team better, he was benched so the team can save money. Most likely the team was sitting back and waiting for the Big Hurt to go through his first slump of the season so they could pull this.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Couldn't agree more. I don't blame Thomas for being upset. He's not being benched or released to make the team better, he was benched so the team can save money. Most likely the team was sitting back and waiting for the Big Hurt to go through his first slump of the season so they could pull this.

Frank signed the contract, and if he didn't like the stipulation of the number of AB's then he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Baseball players are so spoiled. They all have guaranteed contracts! Talk to a football player, who can be cut at anytime and not get paid anymore.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Frank signed the contract, and if he didn't like the stipulation of the number of AB's then he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Baseball players are so spoiled. They all have guaranteed contracts! Talk to a football player, who can be cut at anytime and not get paid anymore.

Frank DID like the stipulated number of ABs that's why he signed the original contract in the first place. He would have easily met the targeted ABs this season & triggered his option for next year. Frank WANTED to trigger his option and tack on an extra year in '09 for $10 mil. If you want to spew some righteous indignation at somebody for signing the contract & then trying to get out of it, direct it at J.P. Ricciardi. Don't get me wrong, the Blue Jays have every legal right to do what they're doing. But I'm not going to trash Thomas because he's a little irked at the way things have gone down.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It just goes to show that professional sports aren't all about W-L but about the $$$, even to management. With the exception of the Red Sox and Yankees, who operate in the red, all teams are trying to gain as much profit possible. Thats why teams like the Rays and Royals have some of the largest profit margins despite bad records.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If the Red Sox are in the red this year, I shutter to think the return Detroit is getting, as they have the second highest payroll.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron