Big match against K-State tonight

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No question this is our biggest match of the year. Kansas State is ranked #22, but their RPI is 15. We are unranked, but our RPI is 23. We need to improve our 3-6 conference record and win on our home court. CJL says she might switch from the 5-1 to the 6-2 on and off tonight?

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Will it be possible to lose a 2 Set lead?

I really worry, when we have a 15-11 lead in the second set, then trail 18-15? We have to find a way to stop runs.

Last edited:

cowmaster1

Dec 16, 2012
St. Paul
They've shown good resilience so far. Just wish they wouldn't have to and just put them away when they can.

Edit: Grammar :D

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I always wondered why we went away from the 6-2. Harris has a real nice touch. I have no idea which setters we're gonna use next year, as we have the 22nd ranked player coming in that's a 6'0 setter.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I always wondered why we went away from the 6-2. Harris has a real nice touch. I have no idea which setters we're gonna use next year, as we have the 22nd ranked player coming in that's a 6'0 setter.

Harris ended up with 23 assists, 7 more than Horner. One would think they'll stick with the 6-2.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
May have crossed up KSU's game plan with the 6-2. CJL said in post-game that they noticed they do really well when Horner's in the back row, and not so well when she's up front. With Mo Harris looking really strong the last thee weeks, she wanted to get her on the court more, so they decided to try the 6-2 with a few twists. Hopefully, this changes the season around down the stretch.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Hey - Stanford won a championship a few years ago playing 6/2. Not sure what the most recent example might be. I assume Bigbee played one right side - who was the other?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I know nothing about college volleyball, but i'll ask it. Will this year's team make the NCAA tournament?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

The problem with a 6-2 is that typically you do it to remove the setter from the front row to add an attacker or strengthen the blocking - or both. Depending on your front row setter;s attacking ability - one or both may be able to stay in and become that 3rd attacker and you utilize the backrow setter. But more often than not, you want a lefty, tall player in that right front position to negate what you try to line up against the opposing team's strongest attacker.

So if you are subbing in an attacker in the front, and a setter in the back - you are burning your substitutions (still 12 correct?) on regular play, limiting changes at other positions. It's not as big a deal anymore with the much more generous subbing rules. Years back when a player on had 3, it was near impossible.

Clearly it can be done. I didn't get to see the match and I don't know how we managed it. CJL is a terrific coach. I suspect since she was the setter in a 5-1 her whole career - that's what she knows & prefers, and it does offer alot of advantages

Last edited:

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I know nothing about college volleyball, but i'll ask it. Will this year's team make the NCAA tournament?

Still iffy. SOS and RPI will help. Record and placement in conference, as well as some of our conference losses, will not.

(still 12 correct?)

No - has been 15 for several years now. Use of the libero helps - it is rare (Usually very tight sets that go beyond 25 points) to see teams have to make adjustments because of sub limits.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
If vball can figure out how to win a game or two on the road, we should be in good shape to make the tournament. We'll have to travel for 1st and 2nd rounds, pretty much guaranteed at this point, which won't make it easy to get back to Hilton for the regional that Iowa State hosts. As was mentioned, our RPI is good and we've played a decent schedule, so that usually counts for something.