Big10 - Pac12 - ACC Merger

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
While I’m not optimistic about our future after this news, The Athletic article reads that these 3 conferences are agreeing not to poach any Big 12 schools RIGHT NOW, which makes sense when trying to form an anti-SEC alliances Why would the PAC 12 take a Big 12 team and add to the divide that got us here in the first place?

This alliance can form and then decide how they want to go forth adding schools

How can the remaining schools actually do anything at this point, though?

There’s still all of the negotiations for ou and Texas leaving the conference, as well as what espn is going to ultimately have to settle for.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
How can the remaining schools actually do anything at this point, though?

There’s still all of the negotiations for ou and Texas leaving the conference, as well as what espn is going to ultimately have to settle for.

The Big 8 could tentatively plan for after 2015 in case they don't find landing spots.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I can’t even fathom that a conference selection over a century ago impacts the future of Iowa State in 2021. Its unspeakable. What a day to be alive.
Seems as though the 4 schools that departed 9-10 years ago had it right all along. Sucks that our leadership didn't have a crystal ball

Reactions: cycloneML

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
The Big 8 could tentatively plan for after 2015 in case they don't find landing spots.

I’m sure the schools already have been doing this. But as a conference entity, there is nothing they will, or should do, do until the exits of the two schools are settled.

The part I’m still wondering is how a potentially ground breaking article about changing the entire landscape of college football as we know it would be released to the public on Friday evening. Especially with nothing concrete in the article just innuendo with a quote from a commissioner.

i mean, if people don’t think these conferences aren’t in communication regularly, let alone when there are major events that affect them, then they really aren’t thinking critically

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This is potentially very good news.

It seems like they want to band together to have the strength (competing product) vs espn/sec, pushing back against change. Might even be some level of maintaining academic integrity involved. Part of that surely could be including Irate8 schools. Its not going to be the first priority but i think it would be part of the plan. Whether thats supporting them staying a P5 conference w adds, splitting them up into the 3 conferences, whatever, i think they will be part of the calculus.

Yes it could be disaterously bad if the just leave the Irate8 to fend for themselves, but i think its more likely they will get included somehow at some point.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The article and strategy makes sense. It sets up the potential where the SEC has its own game/brand...while the other teams use their leverage to shape the NCAA for the future. Maybe you get two "mythical" National Champions...the NCAA and the SEC-Whatever semi-pro. Once the NCAA steadies, the layout of the conferences (including the possibility of absorbing the Big 12 schools) is finalized.

Obviously, all conjecture here, but why not...spaghetti sticks to the wall just as well as some of the other plans.

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018
This is about the three conferences scheduling high profile games with each other to increase relevance/revenue. Leaving the big 12 out of it is telling. They’re attempting to strengthen themselves while the big 12 will be left to poach G5 teams.

Last edited:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
This is about the three conferences scheduling high profile games with each other to increase relevance/revenue. Leaving the big 12 out of it is telling. They’re attempting to strengthen themselves while the big 12 will be left to poach P5 teams.
G5 teams

• Agree
Reactions: ImperialCyclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I feel like we've gone from hoping for the B1G invite and a PAC merger being the worst case scenario...... to now being where the best we might be able to hope for is to add Cincy and Memphis..... or BYU, UCF, USF, Houston, etc.

One thing I'd like to know is exactly what our athletic department would look like in a new Big 12 with just adding a few of the teams mentioned above? Would we have to cut quite a few sports, and what other cuts or affects would be felt with the decrease in revenue?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Accept the ACC offer when it comes (closer to the Atlantic than the Pacific).

Last edited: