Biggest Dumpster Fire

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I haven't looked into the stats/specifics but on the surface to me it's football. Yes, hoops was 2-22 with zero optimism but you can bring in two studs and turn a team around quick. In football it's a complete program overhaul that can take years. Wrestling was pretty far down, but feels like we are (or once was) a blueblood in the sport and the tradition/history to me gives you a little bit of a lift in rebuilding.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ISU football has the history of being bad that made CMCs job the hardest. TJ had a bad roster but you can turn a BB team around quickly and we have a name still. Dresser had the biggest mess, he found his first 125 at the Gilbert Casey’s. He had very little to work with; but ISU did have a storied past and there are not very many D1 programs.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
ISU football has the history of being bad that made CMCs job the hardest. TJ had a bad roster but you can turn a BB team around quickly and we have a name still. Dresser had the biggest mess, he found his first 125 at the Gilbert Casey’s. He had very little to work with; but ISU did have a storied past and there are not very many D1 programs.

But in the other hand, fan expectations were much higher in basketball. Our fan base can handle mediocre football without much complaints. But we will not tolerate mediocre basketball. TJ may have had the easiest turnaround, but he absolutely had the most pressure to do so as well.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I don’t know if it’s the winner but I don’t think it’s openly understood how big of a cluster things were before Dresser got here. Jackson burnt that thing to the absolute ground.
That's something I could never understand. ISU's history and passion for the sport in Iowa. How could wrestling get that bad. Jackson has to be one of the worst coaches in all sports at ISU. I could see Prohm losing the program for a year, but ISU basketball is what it is and a good coach has lots to work with there. Think TJ had the easiest, but also think he's gonna get us into a final 4 before it's all said and done. CMC historically had nothing to work with and doesn't have near the funding other programs he's competing against do. I'm torn between Dresser and CMC. Leaning toward Matt because I think he has the toughest hill to climb each year.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I'd say football then wrestling, then basketball. Football just takes longer and our lack of historical success doesn't help. Wrestling next because while we had some great wrestlers under Jackson our overall team was hard to watch. Basketball is the easiest to turn around quickly. That said I think TJ has had the easiest turnaround, but has exceeded expectations the most.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not a big wrestling guy, but that was an absolute disaster for what it should be. It also has the most historical success.

The football program wasn't in THAT bad of shape. Campbell inherited Lazard, Lanning, Butler, Willie Harvey, Mike Warren, Trever Ryen, Kamari Cotton-Moya, Brian Peavy, you get the gist. Rhoads, for all his misses, had a few talented guys in Ames, and that 2015 team was inches away from a bowl game. The stadium had been expanded, and the fanbase was ride or die.

TJ took over after the worst season in school history, but we were only 2 years removed from a Big 12 tournament title, and basketball is the easiest sport to quickly rebuild in.

I'm gonna say Dresser had the biggest de-con job.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I don’t know if it’s the winner but I don’t think it’s openly understood how big of a cluster things were before Dresser got here. Jackson burnt that thing to the absolute ground.

I don’t understand why Jackson did that. Was he just a terrible coach and manager or what? Or he didn’t care?

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I'm not a big wrestling guy, but that was an absolute disaster for what it should be. It also has the most historical success.

The football program wasn't in THAT bad of shape. Campbell inherited Lazard, Lanning, Butler, Willie Harvey, Mike Warren, Trever Ryen, Kamari Cotton-Moya, Brian Peavy, you get the gist. Rhoads, for all his misses, had a few talented guys in Ames, and that 2015 team was inches away from a bowl game. The stadium had been expanded, and the fanbase was ride or die.

TJ took over after the worst season in school history, but we were only 2 years removed from a Big 12 tournament title, and basketball is the easiest sport to quickly rebuild in.

I'm gonna say Dresser had the biggest de-con job.

Did you just say we were inches away from a bowl game in 2015? We went 3-9 that year with the disaster that was the kstate game…

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t understand why Jackson did that. Was he just a terrible coach and manager or what? Or he didn’t care?

To be fair to Jackson a bit. Conference realignment hit wrestling the hardest of any of the sports. Tough to recruit when the conference is falling apart and the Big10 had a new piggy bank to pull from for whatever wrestling facilities they wanted.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It has to be football. Basketball and wrestling had a history of success to sale. Football was right next to Kansas at the bottom of the D1 list before Matt got here. Years and years of bad.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
To be fair to Jackson a bit. Conference realignment hit wrestling the hardest of any of the sports. Tough to recruit when the conference is falling apart and the Big10 had a new piggy bank to pull from for whatever wrestling facilities they wanted.
He had way more issues going on than that.

Reactions: BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Basketball's the easiest/quickest to turn around especially now but the last two years prior to TJ was the worst two seasons in 40+ years. And that 18/19 team was pretty good but dysfunction on display; there's only so much a coach can do but it wasn't the first time you had to wonder if players really had a strong message or foundation to work within.

Football was bad when CMC got there but there was at least a few players to work with like Lazard, etc. and still solid fan support for being so bad.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From what I understand, yes. And he had no clue how to develop kids.
He could develop kids (top end kids like Kyven) but couldn’t coach and develop the kids who are non place winners. His management was a mess also. He is an extremely nice guy but he is not a college head coach. Michigan as an assistant is probably perfect for him. Put him in with your top end guys and he would take them higher, but keep him away from the slightly above kid because it’s like he doesn’t understand how they can’t just be good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Did you just say we were inches away from a bowl game in 2015? We went 3-9 that year with the disaster that was the kstate game…
We lost the Toledo game by a short missed FG and blew significant 4th quarter leads against OK State and KSU. We should have won all of those games and gone to a bowl.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We lost the Toledo game by a short missed FG and blew significant 4th quarter leads against OK State and KSU. We should have won all of those games and gone to a bowl.

Tied with Iowa late too.

You are who you are which is why they won 3 games but it wasn't like they were getting 50'd every time out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
While all 3 are impressive to me, TJ wins this simply due to the speed in which he rebuilt the program. In 20-21 season we won 2 games all year and no conference wins. Now we are redshirting 4 star players and have a MacDonalds AA coming of the bench.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm going to say football based upon Rhoads post ISU career. It's been bad, real bad. His secondaries at Arky, UCLA, and Zona were about as bad as I've ever seen on a field.
CMC's staff had to untrain a lot of poor technique.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone