Biggest Problem with Defense last Year

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Cute. Last season. 2007.

Chris Brown played in those games and our defense got waxed.

The "we had a guy injured" excuse only lasts so long. CU was not a prolific offense at all. And, they made a QB change in the 2nd half.

Neither of those things impacted our defense's performance - it was all about Chris Brown playing/not playing?

Very short sighted...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Very short sighted...
Please don't take my words out of context...again.

What I said was that CB stopped the bleeding. With him, we didn't have every single team with players constantly running untouched through our defense. That happened in '09, when he was absent.

I did not say that that that was the only problem.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I took nothing out of context. :)

You said the "bleeding was stopped". Far from it. Slowed slightly, but out defense still bled like a stuck pig.

ISUchains1Fan

May 30, 2008
McCallsburg, IA
I would have to say coaching, coaching, COACHING! No adjustments after half, **** poor coverage, crappy tackling. Secondary looked confused. Linebackers were running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Defense is about fundamentals for christ sake I have seen special Olympic kids play better defense, But they're also proably coached better. But last year was last year. So let's wipe our hands of the crappest coaching since the Walden area and get ready for some strong and very determined defense. Trust me on this.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
What did everyone think was the biggest problem with the Defense last year??? Does the fault go more to the coaches for the formations or is it just the skill level at certain positions??

To me I thought a lot of fault was at the Safety and Linebacker positions, I think we need to be a lot quicker there to effectively cover the potent spread offenses we have to face in the Big 12.

They gave up more points than the offense scored.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
The biggest problem on defense was that our offense didn't score every time we had the ball.

Outside of that... I don't recall much defense being played.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Absolutely NO pass rush...our secondary definately had weaknesses, but when a quarterback has time to sit in the pocket for 5-7 seconds-he's going to pick you apart...

^^^^ This is the answer. Look at what Cody Hawkins did against us.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Look at what virtually every QB we've faced in the past 2 years did against us.

Fixed it for ya.

And, a person could toss 2006 in into that mix as well. Making that Rocky fellow from UNLV look like a Heisman candidate was sickening.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Now that I think about it, the easier question might be what wasn't wrong with the defense last year?

I suspect that might be a much shorter list.

91Cardinal

Dec 13, 2008
we didnt have a defensive coach. or a good one anyway. we have the talent. not to mention how often our offense demanded our d to be on the field

needed- good recruits and current players willing to be coached and we got 7 wins next year easy. we really werent that bad last year just had a guy who could point the gun and not pull the trigger. Hermans here to shoot that gun not keep it clean in a case.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Did anyone else feel like the overall scheme was just wrong? It's like we wanted to run a specific type of defense and just refused to change when it wasn't working.

"This is the defense we WILL run -- hopefully the kids will be good at it."

Not that I know enough about anything at all to offer what defensive scheme would have fit our athletes . . .

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Simple minded blitz packages and too many cheap penalties.

Have all the fronts now been covered?

Oh yeah, sure fire interceptions that were dropped.

Confused defenders.

Bad ref calls.

Simple schemes for dummies.

Lack of enthusiasm.

Speed in safeties.

Shoes.

Slippery field.

Tough opponents.

Lack of gang tackling.

Third downs.

Fourth downs.

TV timeouts - killed our defensive momentum.

Weather.

Not enough homer hankies waving.

Sweet Caroline renditions.

Cheap beer back at tailgate areas resulted in fewer excited fans.

Jon Miller could make a full show of this thread.

Last edited:

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
From what I saw at least we played some "hard" corner when in cover 2 which was a big improvement over 2007 when they sat in cover 4 and teams could get 8 yards on a pass to the wideout at will.

Not copying Bruns but the thing that made me so pissed was how poor schematically we were against trips....which every team ran because we would play 3 on 3 over trips. You can't stop sound trips routes with 2 under and 1 over the top of trips and every OC in the conference obviously recognized this. The only excuse for not sliding(sinking) another lb out so he could at least drop under the #3 wr is they were probably convinced we couldn't hold up against the run..even though they were in 4 wides.

So I guess the answer is to get better up front and you don't have to put as much stress on the lb's and secondary with the schemes.

Ohh yeah, horrible tackling.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Did anyone else feel like the overall scheme was just wrong? It's like we wanted to run a specific type of defense and just refused to change when it wasn't working.

"This is the defense we WILL run -- hopefully the kids will be good at it."

Not that I know enough about anything at all to offer what defensive scheme would have fit our athletes . . .

Not at all. I'm a big fan of the Tampa two, especially when it's run correctly. Even with subpar talent, if you make the right reads, its a tough defense to score against...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I vote for everything. There isn't an adjective to properly describe how bad our 2008 defense was.

I still laugh thinking back to early in the season when some posters on here blamed our offense for our poor defense.