Biggest Surprises of '13-'14 ISU Men's BBall so far

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
The non-conference slate is finished and the meat of the season is about to start, what better time to reflect on the season so far. Let's get to it, my biggest surprises of the 2013-14 season are as follows.

1. How quickly this team has gelled. Compared to the previous two seasons, who each team had questionably more talent, it took a while for them to get rolling. This team on the other hand has been ready to go out of the box with only 2 returning starters.

2. Dustin Hogue. I think most people like me thought he would put up about 7 & 7 every night. On the contrary he is almost averaging a double double, at 13 and 10 a night!! How is he doing this when he wasn't even coming close to this production against weaker competition in the JUCO ranks?

3. Naz Long & S.D.W. After last season if you would of asked me "who's game does Naz's MOST remind you of?" I would of said Diante Garrett with out blinking an eye, and that Deandre Kane and Monte Morris were recruited over him, and he probably would not see much playing time this year. I was way wrong about his potential game, this kid can shoot the ball and has solidified himself as a dependable sixth man. Which brings me to S.D.W., not trying to bag on the kid but this is the role that I thought he would fill for the team, instant 'sixth man' points off the bench.

4. Matt Thomas. I am surprised that he has not had more of an impact for the team. He will go long stretches and you forget he is even on the floor. I think he has done okay and doesn't look out of place on the floor by any means, but he hasn't been the assassin from the 3 pt stripe that I thought he was going to be. That said, there is still time for him to do that this season.

Well that's my top four, what are your biggest surprises so far this season?

Last edited:

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
This year's team seems to have more resolve late in the game than most previous ISU teams. The UNI game is a great example, where a UNI player banks in a three to force overtime, and instead of folding the Clones outscore the Panthers 20-11 in the next five minutes. I think that's a game last year's team would have lost.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Most surprising for me.......I haven't had a clone cone all year... which sucks because I'm afraid if I have one now our streak is over.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was thinking, before the Iowa game, how surprising it was that we could legitimately expect to win given what they returned and we returned.

If the team finishes like I think they might, Fred wins Big 12 coach of the year going away, with a great chance at national coach of the year.

Individually, Hogue and Naz have been the biggest surprise, and MM has been a real pleasant surprise as he has the poise of an older player.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
How unselfish this team plays. Everyone is willing to pass up a decent shot for a better one.

How really good Dustin Hogue is. Totally agree. I was hoping he'd be a decent role player, but my goodness he's probably deserving of mention on the All-newcomer team in the Big12.

How seriously skilled and talented Kane is. I guess I discounted him a bit because it was done at Marshall, but he's got a chance to make an NBA roster I think. Might be too old for the league, but he's really good.

How solid our freshmen are. I guess we're not very far removed from old McDoormat years, whose freshmen as often as not looked liked her grabbed them off an intramural squad. Fred's guys are just WAY better and clearly thoroughly scouted.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It seemed like the last couple of years, we would play pretty for like 36 minutes but find a way to give the game away in those 4 minutes in which we played ugly. This year we've seen the opposite in big games, we are finding ways to overcome playing ugly. I also think this is a much different type of Fred Hoiberg team, its more physical and honestly isn't as great a 3pt shooting team. Not a knock this years squad just comparing them to the last couple years,this years strength is mismatches with Ejim,Hogue,Kane and Niang, primarily on the post.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
It seemed like the last couple of years, we would play pretty for like 36 minutes but find a way to give the game away in those 4 minutes in which we played ugly. This year we've seen the opposite in big games, we are finding ways to overcome playing ugly. I also think this is a much different type of Fred Hoiberg team, its more physical and honestly isn't as great a 3pt shooting team. Not a knock this years squad just comparing them to the last couple years,this years strength is mismatches with Ejim,Hogue,Kane and Niang, primarily on the post.

I agree- I feel we shoot outside to open up the inside rather than the opposite. In games where we also shoot the three well, I think we are unbeatable.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
This year's team seems to have more resolve late in the game than most previous ISU teams. The UNI game is a great example, where a UNI player banks in a three to force overtime, and instead of folding the Clones outscore the Panthers 20-11 in the next five minutes. I think that's a game last year's team would have lost.

I always thought if Royce would of played like he did against Kentucky in every game we would of had a better seed and a maybe went further in the tourney.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying this. Maybe just because we don't have a Mcgee? Fact is we are shooting .368 vs. last year .374 from 3. Not much different. And we are making 9.33 a game versus last year of 9.88.

I agree I don't think we need to rely on the 3 as much, but it's not because we are that much more of a poor shooting team.

So bottom line is we are 0.6% worse from 3 and making 0.55 less threes per game than last years great 3 point shooting. So yes, we are not as prolific as last year with it, but we are not bad either. Not as much of a drop off as you would expect.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying this. Maybe just because we don't have a Mcgee? Fact is we are shooting .368 vs. last year .374 from 3. Not much different. And we are making 9.33 a game versus last year of 9.88.

I agree I don't think we need to rely on the 3 as much, but it's not because we are that much more of a poor shooting team.

So bottom line is we are 0.6% worse from 3 and making 0.55 less threes per game than last years great 3 point shooting. So yes, we are not as prolific as last year with it, but we are not bad either. Not as much of a drop off as you would expect.

I agree, its not like we are bad its just a different way. Its more of a by committee approach with 3's and lots of different guys have stepped up. As a team we aren't much better/worse but I feel like we don't have anyone as good as Tyrus or Scotty were in the past. That guy teams are scared of, Naz has shown glimpses and he'll def get more chances in big 12/postseason play.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

i'll have to look at the stats, but in at least a couple games, we shot 60% from two. I realize the three opens up the two, but in a close game, I like our chances from two a little better.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Part of the 3pt perception is that we average 7 per game against teams in the top150 and 12.4 per game against 150+. Averages follow suit too. Hopefully we buck that trend in conf where TCU is the only 150+ team.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
i'll have to look at the stats, but in at least a couple games, we shot 60% from two. I realize the three opens up the two, but in a close game, I like our chances from two a little better.

We are shooting 57.8% from 2 on the season, second best in the country

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
First, how can you compare Naz to Diante? They are completely different players with completely different strengths.

Second, how can you compare Naz to Diante like it's a bad thing? Diante was a stud - we just needed a coach who had the first clue of how to use high-major talent.

/soapbox

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
First, how can you compare Naz to Diante? They are completely different players with completely different strengths.

Second, how can you compare Naz to Diante like it's a bad thing? Diante was a stud - we just needed a coach who had the first clue of how to use high-major talent.

/soapbox

I don't think the comparison to Diante was a bad thing :huh:, its just the type of game I thought he played while watching him last year. Which was more of a drive and dish pg vs. this year shoot your eye out from the three, option one, and drive for the easy layup, second.

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Surprising things for me are basically everything except Melvin can rebound, Georges has good post moves and Fred can coach.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think the biggest surprise for me is the defense. I expected it to improve with the Doc Sadler hire, but I have been really impressed for the most part. The part I love seeing the most is our guys get their hands in the face of a shooter when a shot is taken.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Biggest individual surprise: Hogue.

Biggest overall surprise: Setting school record for best start (did anyone predict this other than tongue-in-cheek).

Biggest off-court surprise: Johnny Orr and **** Vitale coming to Ames.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

/soapbox

I tend to think of Naz more like Babb.