Bike Recommendations

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm 6'4" and use a Trek 7.2

Definitely go to a bike shop and make sure you get sized to the correct bike. I think for about $450 you could get exactly what you need.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Keep in mind, a trek will add 25% to the price just because of the name.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Keep in mind, a trek will add 25% to the price just because of the name.

Not on Craigslist....

Looking at prices though of top of the line Aluminum road bikes with almost same components...

Trek Madone 2.5 $2099.99
Cannondale CAAD10- $2270.00
Specialized Allez- $2400.00

Sorry just wanted to point out the big bad Trek myth...

Last edited:

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Bumping this thread... I currently ride a 2008 Trek 7.5 FX. It has been a great bike but is time to put some cash into it (needs new cassette, crankset, chain, tires, brakes... was also thinking of going to clipless pedals). I am trying to decide whether to fix it up and keep riding it or if i should go all out and upgrade to newer, better bike. I mostly ride trails and country roads (some gravel), but am starting to enjoy some longer and challenging biking events.

After spending a few hours today out looking around at various bike shops around town, these are the bikes that were recommended. I didn't have any worthwhile test rides because I am 6'3" and they all would need to order the right size bike in for me. Looking for some unbiased CF opinions :jimlad:

-Trek Crossrip Elite
-Felt F65x
-Jamis Nova Sport / Race / Pro (only had the sport in stock, limited number of the other 2 left)

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Treks and Giants are nice. Wife and I have Trek 7.1 and Trek Mountain bikes. different bikes for different occassions.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Had a Marin mountain bike back during my years at ISU. It was in your price range. That thing was solid. Really miss that bike.

I had a $200 Schwinn moutain bike I used a TON at ISU for four years, bought in '97. Then I bought a lighter Marin urban/hybrid type bike for about $320 in 2009 and used it a ton around downtown Chicago and near neighborhoods until 2014. Never spent more than $30 a year on either of them other than buying deluxe lights for the one in Chicago. The bike shop I got in Chicago included free tuneups for life of the bike.

Basically I think go with the cheaper models of the decent brands unless you plan on biking being some sort of hobby or competitive thing. To just go places or enjoy a nice day I don't think some top of the line $600+ bike is necessary at all if we're talking about urban life going block to block.

I was like the OP my last 3 years in Chicago. Lived in the best spot for public transit/car sharing/cabs and could walk tons of places so I just went no car for 3 years. My wife and I went from 2 cars, to 1, to none, now back to 1 but wish we didn't have to have 1.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There are a lot of good suggestions here. Craigslist is a good place to start with you budget, but with any used bike you need to know a little bit about bikes to make sure you are not buying a lot of issues. If you are going to be in the bay area it is probably going to be very hilly, at least it looks that way in movies, so a hybrid with it's lower gear ratios would be the way to go. Trek, and Giant make good lower budget bikes.

68clone

Apr 21, 2006
There are a lot of good suggestions here. Craigslist is a good place to start with you budget, but with any used bike you need to know a little bit about bikes to make sure you are not buying a lot of issues. If you are going to be in the bay area it is probably going to be very hilly, at least it looks that way in movies, so a hybrid with it's lower gear ratios would be the way to go. Trek, and Giant make good lower budget bikes.

This, plus don''t forget a way to lock it up.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Bumping this thread... I currently ride a 2008 Trek 7.5 FX. It has been a great bike but is time to put some cash into it (needs new cassette, crankset, chain, tires, brakes... was also thinking of going to clipless pedals). I am trying to decide whether to fix it up and keep riding it or if i should go all out and upgrade to newer, better bike. I mostly ride trails and country roads (some gravel), but am starting to enjoy some longer and challenging biking events.

After spending a few hours today out looking around at various bike shops around town, these are the bikes that were recommended. I didn't have any worthwhile test rides because I am 6'3" and they all would need to order the right size bike in for me. Looking for some unbiased CF opinions :jimlad:

-Trek Crossrip Elite
-Felt F65x
-Jamis Nova Sport / Race / Pro (only had the sport in stock, limited number of the other 2 left)

Why are they recommending cyclocross bikes? Are you planning on taking it off road?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well, since this was bumped from almost a year ago, what did you decide on and how did it work out for you for the year you had it?

Help Support Us

Become a patron