Bill possibly retiring?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
channel 8 just said he is going to take some time to think about it. I don’t know much about the women’s game. However, now would be a good time if we want to take a shot at Jenny down at Drake.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
His radio interview sounded different from his normal discussion, and as he was talking I was thinking he might not be back, then I come to the board and see this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I have a feeling, we’d have a lot of really good options.

I have no inside info for the record. Just the vibe I get from watching Bill over the years. I’m cool with who ever. Love the Fenn. family.

I went the women’s game down in Austin and sat right behind the bench, it was one of the better sporting experiences. Really really Great group of ISU fans follow the women’s team.

Go Cyclones.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
He'll have to reflect on this some. They were set up with home games at Hilton to make a Sweet Sixteen. Might be his last shot at it since it's a once a decade sort thing for us. I am sure he is pretty bummed out about it. He's been coaching a LONG time but he is still only 61 so am guessing he ain't retiring.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If Bill is thinking about retiring (I have not a clue) it seems as good a time as any:

-Kind of a high note to leave on.
-Cupboard is sort of nicely stocked (could lose some players/commits in transition).
-He must have things he would rather do having coached non-stop for over 30 years.
-It may be a years before Bill sees more success than we had this year.
-The game is changing and despite his best efforts it's hard to stay current and viable.
-His legacy could suffer if he clings to the position only to see a steady slide thereafter.
-Timing to find a replacement is probably as good as any in the season/year.
-Despite good attendance it could be an additional shot in the arm for the program in a change.
-Bill Loves Iowa State, but in opting out feels he is doing the best thing he could for the school.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ISU would have great options, our fan support would be extremely attractive to prospective coaches.

I would hope JP doesn’t do the nepotism hire. I can’t think of a single instance of those hires being successful.

Isn't Billy the sort-of next in command?

If that had ANY chance of happening Bill might retire but IMHO there is absolutely ZERO chance our AD does something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Since I don’t know. Why would Billy be a bad hire? Seems to have been on staff a long time, knows the recruiting ground. I mean I honestly don’t know but everyone seems against it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Why would Billy be a bad hire? Seems to have been on staff a long time, knows the recruiting ground. I mean I honestly don’t know but everyone seems against it.

Because so many people on this board hate Bill (for whatever reason) that they can't fathom the possibility of Billy being the coach.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope Bill doesn't retire yet but I've always said when he does Pollard has to at least call Brenda Frese as she would be a great hire and has ISU ties. She probably would decline as she has a good thing going at Maryland but that is a call you have to make. I think Jenny B. at Drake probably will hold out to replace Bluder at her ala mater Iowa some day.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Because so many people on this board hate Bill (for whatever reason) that they can't fathom the possibility of Billy being the coach.

I don't think that's fair. There are reasons one could like the hire, particularly from a consistency standpoint but don't act like there arent legitimate issues with it, particularly that he doesnt have much of a resume outside of being an asst for Bill.

I mean, imagine he werent up for consideration at all, i think most would expect us to go grab someone who has been a head coach somewhere already.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My opinion of Billy has zero to do with what I think of Bill. IMO Billy's recruiting saved his dad's job. I was skeptical of Billy getting the assistant job, but he's done good with the recruiting.

Billy has been a real asset to the program. However if it came to it, I would love a new coach with a few years of successful head coaching experience. Billy should be a candidate, if he desired, and have his credentials put up against the others and let the chips fall where they may. Isn't this the way things are done?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope Bill doesn't retire yet but I've always said when he does Pollard has to at least call Brenda Frese as she would be a great hire and has ISU ties. She probably would decline as she has a good thing going at Maryland but that is a call you have to make. I think Jenny B. at Drake probably will hold out to replace Bluder at her ala mater Iowa some day.

Get the desire for Frese but cannot imagine her taking a salary cut and coming to the Big 12 and playing 2nd fiddle to Baylor when she can win the Big 10 more years than not and maybe have a Final Four shot now and then. She won't be able to do that at ISU. ISU would be an option for her only if the wheels fell off her program at Maryland. Been slipping a little compared to past years but the wheels ain't falling off the Terrapins.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There are not a lot of no brainer easy hires in WBB coaching. Look at all the trouble Texas Tech has had with coaching in spite of their tradition and sitting in the middle of a recruiting gold mine. Hell, the Gophers are on their fifth coach since Fennelly started at ISU and the Gopher job SHOULD be a good one. Brenda bailed on them after a single season. Good conference, great fan support and a decent recruiting base (considering the size of the state) and they still struggle after Bortons Final Four. Gophers may have hired their own "Hoiberg" this season but the last 20 years have been a roller coaster compared to ISU (higher highs but lower lows).

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Honestly, I think coaching ages people more than most jobs. WBB wasn't as competive 20 or even 10 years ago. Now that the sport has gained prominence, its tougher and harder to be consistently successful. It takes a coach who has a tremendous fire in their belly for the sport. Bridget has been a big spark keeping his fire lit. Hopefully he gives it more time.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy