Blaire Thomas

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Congratulations to Cyclone recruit Blaire Thomas for winning the Class 4A shot put with a toss of 42 feet. Remember this is somebody that is capable of running at 26 flat 220 meters. She average 18 ppg last season for her Waterloo West high school team. Blaire may not be on the top 100 list but she definitely has a huge upside. I for one will enjoy watching her play next season.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sounds like a gal I wouldn't want to mess with. She could probably knock me out without breaking a sweat, and I'm absolutely certain I couldn't outrun her!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
If she can use that strength and the speed translates to quickness to block out, make bunnies, run the court, and play defense there's a spot for her.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Congratulations to Blair. Impressive toss for a gal that isn't nearly as big as most of gals she was competing against. She's got to be a strong gal and must have great form and technique.

Picture or it didn't happen!
537fdde75982c.preview-620.jpg

Accompanying story:
http://wcfcourier.com/sports/high-s...cle_343e5417-ed3a-53f0-b003-563dc2c942c2.html

Last edited:

AllIn

Nov 28, 2013
Watched her play VB this fall and run the 200 this spring. Will be a great addition.

Another athlete that I'm looking forward to seeing is Alyssa Conaway from MOC Floyd Valley who will play VB at IState next year. Just became a 4 time State Champion in the 3A high jump. She can run too. Will be fun to watch.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Watched her play VB this fall and run the 200 this spring. Will be a great addition.

Another athlete that I'm looking forward to seeing is Alyssa Conaway from MOC Floyd Valley who will play VB at IState next year. Just became a 4 time State Champion in the 3A high jump. She can run too. Will be fun to watch.

We got some very athletic recruits. Direct and coach them to success Iowa State!

BirdDog

May 23, 2011
CBF incoming class looks to have each position covered with very good to excellent players. Interesting to see how they develop by the time they are Jrs. and Srs. Maybe Big 12 championship in the cards. Looks like the start of another good class for 2014.

BirdDog

May 23, 2011
We got some very athletic recruits. Direct and coach them to success Iowa State!

Regards VB, we have to hope on the new setters can provide the consistency we lacked last year. Actually our passing at all positions needs to improve.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

It's actually Alexis. But she's the best female athlete I've ever seen at the Iowa high school level. Obviously an outstanding volleyball player, but she's also the 4-time high jump champ (3-time Drake Relays champ in the event, too) and anchors the 2-time champion 4x400 relay. And she is an amazing basketball player. I've never seen a high school girl of her size be able to run the point, but she makes it look easy.

I know some people think that Haley Lorenzen got robbed in the Miss Basketball race, but Conaway was the best player I saw all year (I was also a very big fan of Western Christian's Alissa Pollema; that girl is one of the best high school point guards I've ever gotten to watch, boys or girls). She's just an outstanding athlete.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Conaway averaged slightly more than 18 points, and Thomas certainly looked very athletic to me; she dribbles a bit too high, but appears to be able to hit threes as well as work inside.